Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 6:52:28 PM EDT
Do you experts have any experience with this ammo?  
I know that it's been around for ages, but I haven't ever tried it out.
What should I expect?
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO,
    YOUR RUNNING A SABOTED .223 DOWN A .30 BORE, DO NOT EXPECT MATCH ACCURACY, YOU CAN HOWEVER EXPECT A FAST LOW-RECOILING ROUND WITH A UNKNOWN PURPOSE, HAD A FEW BOXES SIT ON THE SHELF FOR YEARS NEVER SOLD THEM JUST SHOT THEM UP!

ACTION`S BY R.A.K.
CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a few box's too.  Kept them around for some special purpose, or whatever.  They are gone now, and I have not seen them around on the shelves for along time.  I assume they have been banned or outlawed, or just removed from production.
I 'very interesting' and sometimes useful round if there ever was one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a .22 cal bullet at 4000+ buy a .220 Swift or .22-250.

I've heard nothing but horrible accuracy from those accelerators. I do believe they're being produced again, FWIW. Remington lists them in thier ballistic,  dataand have seen a few boxes in my fav gunshop.

If you're looking for a good varmint or *pest* load for you 30-06, a 125gr ballistic tip or something like that would work great. But if you're strictly talking factory, then I'm not sure what to tell ya... I don't know of any factory '06 under 150gr.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
i've never had any accuracy problem with them.  you do have to "sight in" for the cartridge.  only the head and tail left of a coyote at 100 to 150 yds.  mcole
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't know about the 30-06, but I ran some through a Winchester 94 30-30. Advised to only load one in the barrel and one in the tube magazine to prevent a nasty accident with the pointed bullet hitting the primer during recoil. Anyway,it was realively accurate (Win. 94 not noted as a tack driver) and with the velocity of a .223. Did quite a bit of damage to Jackrabits and Coyotes. It was about 15 years ago or more, but I think they were more accurate than the .30 stuff out of that rifle anyway. Only one way to tell for sure if they will shoot accurately or not.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are interested, I had this thread about 30-06 accelerators in the reloading section...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.
DsrtEgl50, thanks for the link.  I'll check some of those references.
IMHO
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought 5 boxes of Rem .30-06 Xcellerator from a store going out of business.  I bought them mostly for the brass, is was that cheap.

I wondered how they shot, so rather than just pulling the bullets, I decided to shoot some of them.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I shot them from my Rem 7400.  I was getting 1" groups, centered pretty well, about 1" higher than my usual 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over 51 grains of IMR 4064.

I would have bought more if available, but have not seen any since.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top