Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2021 2:22:15 PM EDT
I've got my RTB dedicated. 22lr barrel but the barrel is extremely tight and won't even begin to go in the upper.

I've build a fair number of uppers and all were snug to one degree or another...but is this normal for a .22lr barrel? I hate to grab a mallet beat in the upper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Well this is definitely not the thread I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well this is definitely not the thread I thought it would be.
View Quote

You know that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Put the barrel in the freezer overnight and then heat the upper gently with a torch or heat gun and a tight barrel will generally drop right into place.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I've read, AR uppers are, more often than you may think, manufactured with the bore for the barrel on the tight side to provide tight barrel fitment.  This is done to help ensure accuracy.  To install a barrel in a tight upper, the usual practice is to thoroughly freeze the barrel (to shrink it) and warm up (not roast) the upper (to expand it).

I have never been personally blessed with an AR upper that was made to provide improved accuracy, so I've never performed the above noted freeze and warm to fit process.

Best of luck.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.

ETA: Beat by a quicker typist.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Had the same experience with my RTB 22lr barrel. I put the barrel in the freezer, heater the receiver with a Horrible Freight heat gun, and greased the barrel extension and that did the trick.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

I've got the barrel in the deep freeze now.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I've got the barrel in the deep freeze now.
View Quote

I've only ever had that once.

everything was greased up with the receiver hot and the barrel turning white as the moisture from the air froze to it.  I was very quick with the insertion so the cold barrel wouldn't cool the receiver.  I got the barrel half way in when the barrel cooled the receiver and clamped down on the barrel.  It took an extra set of hands to rotate the pin to 12 o'clock.  I had to use a steel GI nut to pull the barrel into position.

I do not consider that barrel and receiver separable.  It is easily my most accurate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, before this barrel weds this upper til' death do they  part, Slick side or FA ?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, before this barrel weds this upper til' death do they  part, Slick side or FA ?
View Quote

Always, if possible!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't like a FA.  It gets in the way of right hand operation of the CH.

I do like a shell deflector.  I use it as a reference point when reaching over the top of the receiver to press the bolt release.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Put the barrel in the freezer overnight and then heat the upper gently with a torch or heat gun and a tight barrel will generally drop right into place.
View Quote

Thanks for the help guys.. It worked like a charm.!

Link Posted: 10/24/2021 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've only ever had that once.

everything was greased up with the receiver hot and the barrel turning white as the moisture from the air froze to it.  I was very quick with the insertion so the cold barrel wouldn't cool the receiver.  I got the barrel half way in when the barrel cooled the receiver and clamped down on the barrel.  It took an extra set of hands to rotate the pin to 12 o'clock.  I had to use a steel GI nut to pull the barrel into position.

I do not consider that barrel and receiver separable.  It is easily my most accurate.
View Quote

I believe that if you take off the barrel nut and heat up the junction you'll find that the barrel does come out.  Aluminum has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than steel.

Best of luck.  MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top