Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2020 9:55:15 PM EDT
I have an AR22 (CMMG 20" Barrel and CMMG bolt).
Does anyone use the Taccom Pressure Plug? Is it useful?
thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
thanks
View Quote

I don't find pressure plugs useful, but I'm glad to see Taccom back at 22lr pieces.  I would not recommend a conical pressure plug on principle; I'd prefer flat support of the backplate over a small support in the middle of the backplate that doesn't line up with the top of the plate that takes the hit from the bolt.

Borebuddy makes an improved pressure plug that should be easier to live with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a couple of the Taccom pressure plugs from a ways back.  I didn't know that they had stopped making them or are making them again.

I found that they did make a difference in reliability.  In fact, in my full auto M-16 with a dedicated CMMG upper, I found that I needed 2 pressure plugs to make the gun 100% reliable.

As for the prior poster who said something about the plugs being conical, that is only on one side, though I don't see where there are enough forces involved to matter.  It isn't like the back of the 22 bolt carrier is going to bend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I am using a Taccom pressure plug in my rifle with the Chiappa bolt and barrel and it does help with reliability. Yes I know Chiappa uppers are junk. But once I threw away the polymer upper receiver and used an aluminum receiver with a free float handguard, it has not only been reliable but is accurate as well.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have or have had four .22LR conversion packages and three dedicated .22LR uppers that I've used on half a dozen or more AR-15s and two Colt M16s and never had a bit of trouble that wasn't due to magazines or ammo. So I've never had the need for a 'pressure plug'.  But, obviously some people have had issues.  Therefore my advice is, try out your set up and if it works you're home free.  If not, and you can't locate and fix the issue any other way, get a 'pressure plug'.
Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
ETA: I did have a broken firing pin about five or six years ago, and in 2017 the frame rails on my 2010 vintage conversion unit got so warped that the bolt wouldn't move straight.  Both the firing pin and the warped frame were replaced free of charge by CMMG.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I have several dedicated .22s and use the plug in all of them.

Never an issue.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have several dedicated .22s and use the plug in all of them.

Never an issue.
View Quote

This is one of my dedicated .222LR setups.  The installation of a conventional 'pressure plug' would be an issue. Thankfully, as noted previously, a 'pressure plug' is not needed.  One could probably figure out a way to put a short spring in back if need be.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
It all depends on each individual receiver and bolt on whether you will need a pressure plug or not due to tolerance stacking between different manufacturers.

Like I said, I use a pressure plug in my rifle but don't even have a buffer tube on my 4.5" pistol and haven't had any issues with the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As for the prior poster who said something about the plugs being conical, that is only on one side, though I don't see where there are enough forces involved to matter.  It isn't like the back of the 22 bolt carrier is going to bend.
View Quote

If the back plate is supported in the middle, but not the top, the back plate will flex every time the top of the back plate is struck by the spring shroud.  Whether that flex is consequential or that's a log term problem I can't say.  Certainly, the back plate detaching from the rail fork has been a problem in some generations of this design.

If I were to use a plug, I would prefer to side step the issue by providing the backplate a flat support that covers it all the way to the top.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of the earlier CMMG bolts did have issues with the back plate breaking off of the bolt. CMMG has since redesigned their bolts to help prevent that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad to hear that CMMG has redesigned their product to prevent breaking of the back plates.

I hadn't worried about it before but guess now I'm going to have to inspect the back for cracks when cleaning.

One thing I should point out is the lifetime warranty CMMG has so I'd expect them to replace it if it breaks.

So far, I've had a firing pin break and an anti-bounce weight break and CMMG replaced both at no charge.

Edited to add that the broken firing pin didn't stop the gun from working and I only noticed later when I went to clean the gun.  The broken anti-bounce weight did stop the gun from functioning until it was removed  Then it only worked in semi auto.  Full auto needs the anti-bounce weight so full auto became 1 shot then rack.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I compared my 2010 CMMG Stainless Steel conversion unit to my 2018 CMMG BRAVO conversion unit. The only differences I see between the bolts are the '18 bolt has the firing pin retainer hole bored out to take a standard cotter pin instead of the '10 vintage tension pin; and the tube for the recoil spring is milled differently on top.  The frames however, do have different back plates and the welding that connects the back plates to the frames are different. The '18 back plate is cut off at the bottom to aid unit installation and removal, and is notched for the forward assist protrusion.  The '10 weld connection is two short welds - one on top and one on the bottom of the frame, while the '18 frame has a single longer weld on the bottom side of the frame.

I had heard of CMMG ABWs breaking so a number of years ago I switched to the original Atchisson pattern ABW which is sold by Ciener.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thanks
View Quote

Like you I've got a 20" CMMG barrel and bolt.  I run the TACCOM pressure plug in lieu of the buffer (trying to reduce weight).
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#13]
mvintx - you only have the buffer spring and the plug - I never thought of using the plug with a buffer - do some do this?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
mvintx - you only have the buffer spring and the plug - I never thought of using the plug with a buffer - do some do this?
View Quote
I did out of laziness. The buffer is still in my lower with the pressure plug. Since I am using a LuthAR stock, the extra weight of the buffer helps balance it out a bit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen a photo or two where people have drilled the face of the buffer and installed a round head screw or bolt to ensure that there would be pressure applied to the back of the .22LR unit.  To reduce weight, one could take out the steel weights - the buffer shell weighs about 0.9 oz.  Till recently a standard buffer could be had for about $5.99, which was cheaper than a 'pressure plug'.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Most Interestingly, Taccom recommends the use of the Buffer and Buffer Spring with the pressure plug. I'll follow suit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve been running the pressure plug, along with an empty buffer for about ten years.
The Spikes dedicated upper runs rather well with this setup
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I put a couple quarters in between the buffer and back of bolt, it certainly increased reliability
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I put a couple quarters in between the buffer and back of bolt, it certainly increased reliability
View Quote

And increases the value of your gun by 50 cents... and ensures you always have change handy to buy a soda.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad to see Taccom is back into the .22 aftermarket parts biz again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I installed one - nice!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top