Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 4:33:58 PM EDT
Well, that's the question.

And how much are magazines.  Who makes them and are these things pretty well standardized as to parts.

Basically, school me on the AR 9mm carbine {NO pistols}.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a factory built RRA 9mm. It has been 100% with the 5 Colt Mags I have, although the 2 UZI mags it came with were not very reliable. I sold them and use only the Colt mags now.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a factory built RRA 9mm. It has been 100% with the 5 Colt Mags I have, although the 2 UZI mags it came with were not very reliable. I sold them and use only the Colt mags now.

View Quote

Thanks.

What exactly was wrong with the Uzi mags?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Homemade - Glock mags
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Homemade - Glock mags
View Quote

Not mine, but damn, it looks good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my factory Colt 6450. It's been 100% reliable with all ammo types. Little pricy, but its a great little blaster. If I had it to do over I'd get the new model with the flattop upper. Colt mags-the gold standard of 9mm mags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Converted Uzi mags will not activate the bolt catch unless the follower has been replaced... Which by that price point you could have bought the good metalform mags directly from Brownels.

Replacing the follower might make sense here in CO with our draconian ban on standard capacity magazines which can hold over 15rnds.

(Being a former FFL I have plenty of the correct mags for any version 9mm so it isn't a personal issue.)
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#7]
ASC Colt pattern mags in my home build with CMMG lower/bolt.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a couple of 9mm AR's, both were fine. An RRA and a CMMG.  Truth be told the CMMG was less fussy about magazines and it I had to pick one to be the "best" I would have to give the nod to the CMMG.   Factory ramped bolt, ran well with any magazine I ever tried in it, and stone reliable in all regards. OH, and you could run whatever FCG you wanted in it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Homemade - Glock mags
View Quote

Damn straight!

I've been working for about 8 months to create a version of this for sale. Getting closer but still have work to do.

ETA: Since other options exist for Glock magazines. It's the S&W M&P, SIG 226, CZ 75 and Beretta 92fs that I'm going after.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The uzi mags just simply failed to feed correctly, and as someone previously stated...no BHO.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a CMMG MK9 pistol, zero issues. I use metal form and ads mags. I believe the Metal Form mags a colt mags.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, that's the question.

And how much are magazines.  Who makes them and are these things pretty well standardized as to parts.

Basically, school me on the AR 9mm carbine {NO pistols}.

Thanks!
View Quote

Your choices for the most part are between the Colt system and the Oly system.  Attempts at a 9mm direct impingement system have so far been only unreliably, marginally successful.

Colt system feeds from the middle of the AR-15 magwell, and uses a magblock that incorporates a feedramp, and a bolt/carrier without bolt that feeds directly into the barrel without a barrel extension.

Oly system feeds from the front of the AR-15 magwell, and uses a specialized bolt/carrier and barrel extension - the extension incorporates the feedramps.

As to which is better, dunno?  Both have been around forever, though the Colt system seems more popular by manufacturer and gross sales volume.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Damn straight!
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j353/gsangermano/Gun%20stuff/CloseUp_zps795d346d.jpg
I've been working for about 8 months to create a version of this for sale. Getting closer but still have work to do.

ETA: Since other options exist for Glock magazines. It's the S&W M&P, SIG 226, CZ 75 and Beretta 92fs that I'm going after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Homemade - Glock mags

Damn straight!
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j353/gsangermano/Gun%20stuff/CloseUp_zps795d346d.jpg

+1 on Homemade
Because you choose the components you want, build the rifle to how you want it to look and function.  One downside is that there are so many different parts to choose from and there's a lot of unknowns if they will all actually fit together and work.  Another downside is that this forum makes it very hard on your wallet .  It's amazing how much money adds up when you do it this way.  For me, QC10 CLT9MM lower, metalform mags, Vltor upper, CMMG BCG were the foundation.  No, it didn't just all snap together, but it was fun to get everything to fit and then to get it all working the way I wanted.

" />

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my Colt. Also, had great reliability with RRA. Use Metalform/Colt mags.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Linc5870, that's a great looking gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:02:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Gotta go with Colt on this one.  Lightweight barrel profile for one, plus correctly ramped bolt.  Metalform mags are the standard.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Linc5870, that's a great looking gun.
View Quote

Thanks!  It's fantastic to shoot, too!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I will be a contrary one.

I have an Olympic arms 9mm AR.  I made my own mag block for sten mags.  Can post pics later.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the colt style. Magazines are cheap and it just works. I am using a RRA complete upper  on a QC10 CLT9MM lower with RRA 9mm hammer. I have had no issues at all and have not had to tweak anything. Before the QC10 lower, I used a standard lower. I tried an ASA top loading mag block, but couldn't get anything but modified uzi mags to fit in it. I changed to a Spike's  Tactical  bottom loading block that worked just fine. I liked the looks and simplicity of the QC10, so I   sold my spike's block and upgraded.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
QC10 lower and Macon Armory upper for me.  Going to pick mine up today, but I've shot plenty of them before buying.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gotta go with Colt on this one.  Lightweight barrel profile for one, plus correctly ramped bolt.  Metalform mags are the standard.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been very happy with my 2
Olympics. $2.50 Sten mags run good!

John
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]
What parts are proprietary to the 9mm AR? Mag block, bolt, barrel? What kind of bolt is best?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Colt mags for me but they were pricey.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What parts are proprietary to the 9mm AR? Mag block, bolt, barrel? What kind of bolt is best?
View Quote

There are many flavors of 9mm AR.  Read more.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top