Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2013 4:24:19 PM EDT
I want to get a cmmg 22 kit for my AR so the kids have something to shoot. (they already have single shoot 22's).
When I buy, I want to get some additional mags. I already have some S&W 15-22 mags. Will these work in an AR with a cmmg conversion kit?
If not, which mags are as easy to load as the S&W mags?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You will need the Better Mag adapter for the S & W mags.

Black Dog Machine mags work great but are not as easy to use as the S & W.

Dave N
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Will the CMMG mag hold the bolt open after last round? The Black dog mag description says that their mags wont hold the bolt open on CMMG kits. Also I found a loading tool that makes loading these mags a little easier.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.
Will the CMMG mag hold the bolt open after last round? The Black dog mag description says that their mags wont hold the bolt open on CMMG kits. Also I found a loading tool that makes loading these mags a little easier.
View Quote

The only reliable bolt hold open is the better mag adapter and 15-22 factory mags.  Other 22 BHO sysems have been iffy at best.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, Better mag. I corrected my post.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:21:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I finally broke down and bought a SW mag at the local show for 20.00 out the door. Been wanting to try one in our CMMGs and finally did since the price of them came back down. Only shot it once but it did function by itself with no adapter at all. Fits kinda loose but it did work without a adapter..
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote

My CMMG BHOA works fine, but line some others I have shortened the spring on the latch to make it easier to work. Weakening that spring has not caused any problems, it was made stiff to hand lots of 5.56 work.

As for the Black Dogs, as you may know they use the follower in the magazine to hold the bolt open. This has two draw backs: Lots of stress and wear on the top of the magazine (but the newer designed ones have been improved to help with this). And, when you drop the magazine out to change it the bolt springs forward and you have to pull the charging handle back to load the first round.  Nothing is perfect, but at least you always know when the mag is empty.

Many have praised using the S&W mags in their .22 AR's. I can  not comment one way or the other as I have not tried them. I use the CMMG or Black Dogs magazines and have a good inventory of them. As long as they keep working so well I don't see spending hundreds of dollars "upgrading" to the Smith mags. If one is starting from scratch that is different.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I finally broke down and bought a SW mag at the local show for 20.00 out the door. Been wanting to try one in our CMMGs and finally did since the price of them came back down. Only shot it once but it did function by itself with no adapter at all. Fits kinda loose but it did work without a adapter..
View Quote

Yep, they're 2mm shorter, front to back, than a standard AR mag.  SW made their magwell shorter so it couldn't accidentally have a regular mag inserted (and to sell more of their magazines).

The SW will work OK without the adapter other than being loose and not being able to activate the bolt hold open.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top