Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 1:56:54 PM EDT
Ok, I have been posting in the 9mm area for just  little while now and am just new to this side of the AR world. Now I bought a 9mm AR just because I love AR's and I got a great deal on it. I was told the upper is a RRA, but how do I tell? It looks exactly like the JSE ones, has crome barrel, big gas block with rail on top, white 9mm on top rear of left side of the upper ( non ejection side just to make sure ). I am just wondering if there is anything that would actually tell me weather it is or not?

My camera is broken, so I cant take any pics, but it looks EXACTLY like 98_JLE 9mm AR in the pic thread.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I may be mistaken but I think RRA uppers have a logo on the upper receiver where the rear sight would be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't recall that RRA marks their uppers with a big 9mm on them. I could be wrong!  

RRA normally has the half sized ejection cover door with the gas deflector and no forward assist.

The real way is to ID the barrel. RRA marks their barrels "inside", that is on the barrel there is a code number. It is up under the hand guards back by the barrel nut. Its small digits and back in the chamber area. Here is one thread on it, but it only deals with the 5.56/.223 barrels:

RRA markings

These numbers are present on my RRA barrels, but right now I don't recall what the codes are and don't have time to go dig them out of the safe and remove the hand guards. I will tell you they are WAY back there and you might have to look hard to see them. Once you do have the numbers you can call RRA and they will tell you what you have.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't paid attention to their 9mm barrel markings, but I have several complete factory RRA uppers (circa 2004-2006) that have no markings whatsoever, except for the forge marks on the upper.  I had one that was supposedly circa 2009 that was factory complete with the RRA logo on top of the upper, but no barrel markings whatsoever.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was told the upper is a RRA, but how do I tell? It looks exactly like the JSE ones, has crome barrel, big gas block with rail on top, white 9mm on top rear of left side of the upper ( non ejection side just to make sure )

MY JSE upper (which is pretty Bad Ass and one of my favorite guns to shoot) is marked with White 9mm on top rear of the upper, left side,
the oppisite side has forge marks of split A, I think is  Anchor Harvey

It's reasonable to think JSE uses RR parts

Some brands you just pay for the name "cough cough colt cough" at the end of the day mil spec gets it done, my frankin gun puts the same hole in ya as my BCM  
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one 9mm upper I got from M & A a few years back. The upper looked very much RRA and the owner even confirmed this. But then, does RRA even make the parts to begin with?  RRA does stamp the number codes on their barrels for "internal identification"  which makes sense. However, as I said before, its sometimes hard to find those numbers are they are nearly covered up by the barrel nut and small to begin with. As far as I know RRA does NOT mark the upper receiver with "9mm" but some of their receivers are market with "RRA" letters on the top of the receiver towards the rear. (At least on two of them I have)
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I may be mistaken but I think RRA uppers have a logo on the upper receiver where the rear sight would be.

Every true RRA upper I have seen has the logo on the upper receiver.  The two I have do for sure.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:21:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My camera phone sucks, but this is my LAR-9 A2 upper. I think it's sorta legible.
http://i47.tinypic.com/67qfpd.jpg
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
My 3 of all mine have RRA on the top just in front of the charge handle.  They are all A4 9mm uppers.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The RRA's that they sell direct have their logo on it. I have heard that RRA also sells parts (wholesale) to other builders but don't mark them. My one 9mm upper doesn't have RRA on it but its an 9mm receiver design that seems to be exclusive to RRA and the barrel itself has the RRA codes under the hand guard. The RRA upper receivers I bought separately from RRA dealers do have the RRA logo.

?? Your call on what it is, just what I know and have seen or heard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the clarification. I am bumbed that it is not a RRA upper. I own 3 and hoped this was one was also. I hope it is just as good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one RRA 9mm upper that I bought directly from RRA before they stated marking them. But all the rest are marked.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top