Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2012 6:47:00 AM EDT
Well I finally have convinced my dad to get and AR15 as well as possibly a .22lr upper to practice with.  I have tried to keep up on all of the new .22lr uppers that have come out as well as owning at one point a TacSol 22lr SBX upper.

Today I know that the CMMG and Nordic (DPMS/JP).22lr uppers are what everyone else is judge by.  I am curious about the Taccom3g complete upper Taccom3g  and the Core15 Core15 upper and how they compare to each other and to the CMMG and Nordic.

I know that Taccom3g (Tim - used to work for Nordic) LW barrels are pretty accurate and stands 100% behind his products, he has been innovative and helped design the Nordic so he know what it takes to make a .22lr upper run.

By looking at his bolt, it "appears" to be a ceiner/cmmg style bolt but I don't know much else about it other than the description from the website "A piece of art for your AR15.....our 22LR bolt is nickel plated adding form and function to a great upper. Little or no lubrication is required in normal operation of our uppers
All completeTACCOM uppers come with the ENHANCED Firing Pin and Patent Pending PRESSURE PLUG so that you can use your match trigger (down to 3.5#) and have a reliable, functioning firearm.
Our Baker plates are tig welded, on both sides of the rail with fillet welds providing the strongest weld in the industry for this application.....you WILL NOT break our backers off."

What else should be obvious to me that I don't know?

The Core15 is new to the group. It also looks like a CMMG/Ceiner but I don't know much else

from the website
"CORE15 Mil-Spec Forged 7075-T6 M-4 Upper Reciever
Dedicated 16" .22 Long Rifle Barrel 1:16 Twist
Nickel Boron Coated dedicated .22 Long Rifle Bolt Carrier Group
CORE15 Hardcore V.2 Charging Handle
Midwest Industries 15" GEN 2 SS Rail
(1) Black Dog Machine 26 rd Magazine"

Obviously their is a big difference in price and weight but I was really concerned with quality, durability, maintenance,  accuracy, and ease of use (I want it to run like a sewing machine for my dad right from the start).

Also let me know if I should just recommend the Nordic or CMMG instead

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22, they run around $400 in my area and they run like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
MP15-22 is a lot of gun for the price. A great light weight plinker. The only down-side is not all parts are swappable. I don't like the factory trigger on this, but luckily that's one of the parts I can swap out. :)

The TACCOM upper is based on the CMMG/Ciener style design:
- Pressure Plug: Removes any play between the bolt and barrel
- Firing Pin: The pin has a lighter spring to help with match triggers. Tim has also distanced the pin from the collar so you can dry fire his uppers.
- Light-weight Tension Barrel: The traditional method to add rigidity is to use a "thicker" barrel. This is why you'll see match heavy bull barrel built for accuracy. However, Tim uses tension at both ends of the barrel to add rigidity. In turn, you get a lightweight and accurate barrel.

I've never had the chance to try the CORE15. Love that handguard though. :)
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the thoughts guys!

I am curious if the "Nickel Boron Coat[ing]" does anything to the durability and/or brittleness of the small parts? I also wonder how it compares to what Tim is doing on his BCG?

This may be a question for Tim but does anyone know if you could use a CMMG BHOA with on of Tim's bolts?

I was thinking possibly for my dad to get one of Tim's uppers + CMMG BHOA + better mag SW 15-22 mag adapter + SW 15-22 mags.  That way he would have a light, accurate rifle, that can be dry fired, has a LRBHO device, with cheaper, easier to load mags

Although I don't see a FA on Tim's website i wonder if it's ever needed (I didn't need one with my TacSol upper and dont ever force a round in with my 10-22 although I always bump it on my AR15 to make sure the .223 is seated ready to go).

What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
TACCOM3G, Tim IMHO are making Awesome AR-22's. I tested the new CMMG TANGO and Tim's Upper side by side at 50 yards.
The TANGO won of course, it's proving to be the most accurate 22 I've ever fired. The 3-3/4 lb TACCOM fell only a little short though.
To me, that's nothing short of Amazing. It wasn't designed to be in the same class but it doesn't miss by much..... It's atleast as
accurate as the Spike's Lother Walther M4 and for most shooters, they will be very happy. Your dad will live the TACCOM if he gets
one.

I don't know if you could use the CMMG BHOA with Tims Bolt, The CMMG Bolt is a modified version designed to work with it.
As far as the FA, it's up to the shooter if that is a necessary item. I have some with and some without...
You could build the upper with a CMMG Bolt, Anti Jam Charging Handle and Tims Firing Pin, Barrel and Receiver... That's what I did.

Good Luck,
Dave S

BTW: I'll be posting a new thread in Rimfire shortly about the CMMG TANGO at 100 yards.. Check it out for the soon to be new standard
of accuracy. I'm sure it will be just that very shortly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have my Taccom upper yet, but once I do, I'll try out the CMMG BHOA. Since CMMG is based on the Ciener method, it *should* work in the Taccom.

Nickel platting is on both the CORE15 and Taccom bolts. It doesn't add brittleness. Just makes the finish very smooth so the cycle is more reliable.

Also, let me clarify a bit based on your description, there are actually 2 separate methods of BHOA:

- Better mag SW 15-22 adaptor + SW 15-22. mags.
or
- CMMG BHOA + CMMG BHOA compatible mags.

Quoted:
Thanks for the thoughts guys!

I am curious if the "Nickel Boron Coat[ing]" does anything to the durability and/or brittleness of the small parts? I also wonder how it compares to what Tim is doing on his BCG?

This may be a question for Tim but does anyone know if you could use a CMMG BHOA with on of Tim's bolts?

I was thinking possibly for my dad to get one of Tim's uppers + CMMG BHOA + better mag SW 15-22 mag adapter + SW 15-22 mags.  That way he would have a light, accurate rifle, that can be dry fired, has a LRBHO device, with cheaper, easier to load mags

Although I don't see a FA on Tim's website i wonder if it's ever needed (I didn't need one with my TacSol upper and dont ever force a round in with my 10-22 although I always bump it on my AR15 to make sure the .223 is seated ready to go).

What do you think?

Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BTW: I'll be posting a new thread in Rimfire shortly about the CMMG TANGO at 100 yards.. Check it out for the soon to be new standard
of accuracy. I'm sure it will be just that very shortly.

YES PLEASE!
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Never tried a Core15 but I can tell you my TACCOM is very light weight and has to date, not missed a shot using a CMMG stainless BCG with TACCOM pressure plug and firing pin.
1/2" at 50 yards with Wolf MT.
Dave N
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Spec-Ops - Thanks for the perspective on the difference in the units - If Tim's bolt doesn't work with the BHOA I am going to have to think about this a little bit.  I wish Tim offered a tuned CMMG bolt with his pin and welding and coating for the same price as his other bolt (that is if it doesn't work with the CMMB BHOA).

Tshong - Thanks for the info - Please let me know when you get it if the BHOA works with your upper from Tim (BTW which barrel did you get?)

Also I thought you needed the CMMG  BHOA  + Redimag adapter + SW 15-22 mags to make it work.  So according to your post all I would need would be the Redimag adapter + S&W 15-22 mags? (that would be sweet) and I am assuming Tim's bolt would work with this?

Shadowcop - That is some stellar accuracy (better than we need) but the more accurate the upper is the less you can blame misses on the upper :)

If I can get Tim's upper to work with the S&W 15-22 mags + adapter to work the LRBHO to mimic his PSA upper functions I think that would be the way to go:)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top