Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:32:16 AM EDT
For my 9mm build I am contemplating using a spare flatop 5.56 upper receiver.  I was going to sell it off, but I figured if I could use then... well you know.

Anyway, is the 9mm brass deflector needed?  Anyone have any experience shooting one without the deflector?

I'm not sure if it matters but I am planning to use a 3 lug barrel on it for a suppressor.  Someone mentioned to me the deflector mainly prevents debris from hitting your face moreso than being a brass deflector.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as brass deflection goes, you will need one if you're a lefty.  As far as gas and debris goes, yes, they help a lot.  The 9mm is a straight blowback design and with a can mounted, you DO get blowback.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
If your a righty....NO...I have had no problems with blow back and I shoot a lot....but not full auto...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have shot a lot of full-auto out of mine and don't have any issues or complaints about debris or blowback.  No deflector or suppressor.  Most of the people who have shot it are righties and the one leftie who has shot it didn't say anything either.  He is also a MG-guy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#4]
on my 9mm carbine the brass deflector still looks new the brass doesnt even hit it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#5]
As it has been said above, the deflector is not necessary.   I think it is a great visual aid  to differentiate between  the .223 top end and the 9mm.  I think it would be bad to mix them up if you swap uppers on a shared receiver!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top