Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 6:06:03 AM EDT
I'm going to have my 9mm bolt ramped.  I don't want to send it out.  I have a local CNC machine shop that does my work and is very resonably priced.  I was hoping someone might have a mechanical drawing with the necessary specifications for ramping a 9mm bolt.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Or can someone measure the depth of the deepest part of the cut and the length of the ramp with a set of calipers on one of their ramped 9mm bolts?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Or can someone measure the depth of the deepest part of the cut and the length of the ramp with a set of calipers on one of their ramped 9mm bolts?

You can use a M16 carrier or one of the new "enhanced" carriers with the shrouded fire pin and set-up to mimmick the ramp.  

Where the rails come to the middle of the bolt, from the front to form the wings (lack of better description, If you set the end of the caliper across the flats, the depth will be approx .125", and WILL need to be as wide as the fingers on the weight, so the hammer will pass.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
nobody can take a ramped 9mm bolt carrier and measure the depth of the ramp or the length?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
O.K. calm down, we all see that you want specific info on the ramp cut.
I see that you want to have it CNCed and pricise mesurments are good to have.
But getting then might be a bigger problem than you thought, everyone here is trying to be helpfull, but my two cents would be to do it yourself with a dremmell tool!
All I did was take the same profile and extend it twice the current lengh down the bolt!
By looking at the picture from SBR7_11 that I enhanced you can see the diffrence in the bolt ramps, The upper ramp is STD, the lower one is MODDED, twice the lenght and more gradual re-cocking it takes twice the leght of the same stroke to cock the hamer back wicth in my opinon does two things, 1. makes the re-cocking action easyer on the hammer and pins, 2. makes it alot smoother on the bolt to hammer interaction, I used a Bussy two stage lower with 0 problems after I ramped my bolt, (I sad Bussy two stage with notched hammer!), now I have a dedicated RRA lower STD hammer also with 0 problems!

I hope this helps?
I will try to get some of my pics up soon!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I wasn't upset or anything, I just couldn't believe that someone didn't have a ramped bolt with a set of calipers.  I was looking for specific measurments.  The length of the ramp doesn't seem critical to me, but the depth seemed most important due to the firing pin channel.

Thanks for your reply though!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But getting then might be a bigger problem than you thought, everyone here is trying to be helpfull, but my two cents would be to do it yourself with a dremmell tool!

All I did was take the same profile and extend it twice the current lengh down the bolt!i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/joe1972/AR556-9mmboltedit.jpg

You did yours with a Dremmell?

I was planning to send mine to m60joe.com and have him do the work but I am quite a god with the dremmell and it is only like $100 chunk of steel so what do I have to lose?  Another "Quarterbore and the Dremmell attack" thread might be needed....  I just need to be careful as my 9mm bolt was already milled for my rLL so if I screw up it is more then just the cost of replacing the bolt....  But hell, me and my dremmell have attacked bigger $$$ items then a lousy 9mm bolt  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wasn't upset or anything, I just couldn't believe that someone didn't have a ramped bolt with a set of calipers.
I have a set of calipers...

**but the depth seemed most important due to the firing pin channel.
You were given the depth --> "the depth will be approx .125", and WILL need to be as wide as the fingers on the weight" ...

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wasn't upset or anything, I just couldn't believe that someone didn't have a ramped bolt with a set of calipers.
I have a set of calipers...

**but the depth seemed most important due to the firing pin channel.
You were given the depth --> "the depth will be approx .125", and WILL need to be as wide as the fingers on the weight" ...

Sorry dude,  I thought those numbers were loose appoximations.  I was not aware that you measured your bolt with calipers.  I saw the word "approx" and figured it was just that, an approximation.

Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:09:38 AM EDT
[#10]
For comparison.. here are my unramped 9mm bolts.  One of them is modified for the rLL.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I do not want to take any work away from anyone on the board, I like the work that Joe Black (m60joe.com ) does, and please don’t think this is way to go around him! If you want to send your stuff to Joe please do so I have seen his work and it is top shelf!
But yes I did do the work myself with my dremmell!  Since every time a topic comes up about bolts being ramped with problems associated with diff. hammers I will make the most serious of efforts to get so pictures tonight of my bolt.
I should have them posted here tomorrow morning as soon as I get to work!

p.s. Quarterbore, did you just get yourself another Krink type kit?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry the pictures look like shit, the bolt is totally dirt and needs to be cleaned really bad!
It looks a lot better when I clean it up and repolish it!

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top