Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:02:13 AM EDT
I asked this before here and just got a "it should work" answer ....Can you use a upper with a standard case deflector on a 9mm build ?? Like an A4 flattop.  Is anyone currently running a 9mm AR with an A2 varient case deflector ? This ar15 link http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=249178  points to a Oly combo without the clamshell.  I'd like to build a matching MEGA upper/lower but do not want to get brass bouncing off my glasses.  I appreciate the education.     HHjr
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure....

The OLY uppers don't have the goofy added deflector. And neither does my .45 AR. Never had problems with getting hit by brass, and i'm a southpaw.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
i shot my colt this past weekend and about 80% of the casings didnt even bounce off the deflector
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can you use a upper with a standard case deflector on a 9mm build ?? Like an A4 flattop.  Is anyone currently running a 9mm AR with an A2 varient case deflector ?

Stick the 9mm barrel into the front of the upper and have a nice day.   I been using a mystery made funshow flat top upper for almost 3yr,  Colt pattern operating system, and my empties leave at forward- slight upward angle to the right front.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a "gas deflector," not a "brass deflector." And yes, it does help somewhat, especially if you're using a suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a "gas deflector," not a "brass deflector." And yes, it does help somewhat, especially if you're using a suppressor.

+1  9MM are blowback and this was designed to be a "gas deflector".
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Well....I beg to differ in my case.

My Oly upper did not come with a gas deflector, and I was getting a bunch of junk from the ejection port.  I'm a lefty.

Added the deflector, and look at the damage to it after 300 rounds.

I'm a happy camper now. The deflector is cheap and easy to replace.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate all your comments, the time it took to post the pics And the technical correction as well . Thankyou.    Harold H.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well....I beg to differ in my case.

My Oly upper did not come with a gas deflector, and I was getting a bunch of junk from the ejection port.  I'm a lefty.

Added the deflector, and look at the damage to it after 300 rounds.

i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/tvone/deflector.jpg

I'm a happy camper now. The deflector is cheap and easy to replace.

Where can one aquire one of them? I'm a lefty too ,and do get some gas blockback on my .45 AR.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Specialized Armament, Gun Parts Corp, Brownells, the usual suspects. Obviously, you'll also need the 1/2 port door. there's also a little spring that holds it in place against the upper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Specialized Armament, Gun Parts Corp, Brownells, the usual suspects. Obviously, you'll also need the 1/2 port door. there's also a little spring that holds it in place against the upper.

holy cow!

definitly gonan give that a try when i get back.

For those interested, Brownells part numbers:

160-302-030 Gas Deflector   $12.44
160-302-031 Gas Deflector Spring   $4.38
160-302-029 Ejection Port Cover Assembly   $12.44
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top