Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/19/2005 11:16:30 AM EDT
Hey everyone

I am building my first 9mm AR carbine.  I plan to have it registered as a SBR. My question: what lower receiver should I get?  I want something strong and I don't mind paying for quality.  I am not going with Colt. I was thinking bushmaster, but I want to make sure the lower I purchase will fit with a 9mm upper and stein mag conversion. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely
Ian
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I ordered mine from Lauer Custom Weaponry(shipped to my FFL). They also do engraving, so I had them engrave my name, city, and state on the front of the magwell. Some say that when you submit your Form 1 you have to engrave that info on it, others say you don't, but I had them do it just to be safe. About any forged lower will do though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You want to make sure you start off with a MIL SPEC forged lower......MANY, MANY, receivers are NOT and have incorrect mag wells.......this is especially important since you will be using an adapter in them.  Since everyone and thier pet monkey is making receivers....or having thier name carved in them.....choose a manufacturer that has a good reputation that stands behind thier product.

If you want to see a drawing of the what a magazine well should be..........magwell dimensions

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The dedicated Hahn block looks good. The removal/instalation of the bolt catch is not very hard.
I like the bottom inserted units (they hold the bolt open) better than the top inserted ones. I would recommend using Colt mags.
As far as lowers are concerened, there are many good mfgs. However, I'd go to a lower marked "9mm" rather than 223. I believe Ameetec, Superior and Mega have them, perhaps others - I went for a Colt 9mm lower.
I'd also recommend getting your bolt ramped.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey everyone

I am building my first 9mm AR carbine.  I plan to have it registered as a SBR. My question: what lower receiver should I get?  I want something strong and I don't mind paying for quality.  I am not going with Colt. I was thinking bushmaster, but I want to make sure the lower I purchase will fit with a 9mm upper and stein mag conversion. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely
Ian

It looks like you are planning on using a Olympic 9mm upper, so why don't you use a Olympic lower.  I got a Oly 9mm upper during the ban that I used on my preban shorty.  I had also bought a Oly lower during the ban that I never built into a rifle.  So, after the ban, I built it up for my 9mm upper.  It went together just fine and the finish matched, as well.  Just be sure you get two things.  Get a mag block so you can use unmodified Sten mags, and a Sten mag loader. (Your fingers will love you for it. )

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
most of the current lowers are good enough for your setup

something to keep in mind is some lower have a lower rear shelf that would accept a rdias so that would be something to think about.

bushmaster would be one that comes to mind
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a Bushy Lower with an Oly upper for my 9mm SBR setup.  There are pictures and a range report here.  Let me know if you want any more information.

Hope this helps,
Debo

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I use virtually the exact same rig as Irish Fly.  Socom mfg, makes a block that allows unmodified stenmags, and I love my Oly upper system.  I did a ton of research on this and as far as Im concerned its the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help.

Why did you go with the Oly upper instead of the RRA upper for 9mm?

Ian
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top