BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2005 6:53:45 AM EDT
I just found out that Olympic Arms makes a 9mm version of the AR that uses Glock magazines but I need more info!

Do any of you have one of these? If so, how well do they work? It doesn’t seem like these are talked about a lot, is there a reason for this? I would think the ability to use Glock mags, considering how reliable, cheap and easy they are to find would make this a very popular 9mm AR?

Do they use some type of mag block or are the mag wells specifically milled for Glock magazines? If it uses a mag block, can it be bought separately? If it's the way the mag well is milled, can you buy one of these lowers stripped? Other than the mag well\mag block, are there any other differences in the parts used for the lower?

Does this lower accept G19 mags or just G17 and G18 mags? If I go this root, what other Olympic specific parts would I have to buy? I’m assuming a bolt\carrier specific to this combo? Is that right, anything else?

Not that I could afford one but… other then any potential clearance issues with the rear shelf of the lower (depending on how it was milled), are these Glock AR’s compatible with an RDAIS?

Lay it on my guys, I don’t know much about 9mm AR’s (as some of my questions probably show ) but one that accepts Glock mags sounds very appealing!
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is what I've found from digging, because I too want a 9mm AR that runs on Glock mags.

Oly used to make mag blocks for use with modified Glock mags, they don't anymore.

Oly recently released a new rifle with a modifed lower to use unmodified Glock mags.  

They don't sell just the lower, stripped or otherwise.

A few folks on board have the glock rifles and can speak to their function...

A dedicated/modifed lower doesn't interest me, personaly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here is what I've found from digging, because I too want a 9mm AR that runs on Glock mags.

Oly used to make mag blocks for use with modified Glock mags, they don't anymore.

Oly recently released a new rifle with a modified lower to use unmodified Glock mags.  

Everything was sounding (and looking) great up until this...

They don't sell just the lower, stripped or otherwise.

That sucks! I like the fact the they are specifically milled to use nonmodified mags. I wouldn't be interested in it at all if I have to modify my mags to use them with this weapon. I'm also not real crazy about mag blocks and regardless, this would be a dedicated lower for me so I like the way it's milled.

But... I build my own AR's and I don't care for the way they have their's configured not to mention it seems over priced for what you get.

Well I sent Oly an e-mail asking them if their policy of no separate lowers would change anytime soon? I'm not expecting to receive the answer I want to hear so I guess that rules this one out for me. Back to waiting on Glock to release a 9mm carbine

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 6/10/2005 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine from Atlantic Firearms (they are a sponsor here too) and their price is hard to beat, I believe it was like $789.00.  I really, really, really like mine!! and I got a low serial # too, well under 100.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one in Feb. from Oly, and last week, I cancelled my order. 4 times I was told 2-3 weeks.

After seeing the bolt corrossion and how they handled it(Oly didn't), I had my dealer cancel.

These have been out for a while, and yet, serial numbers are under 100. Ask yourself why? Price is good, but there doesn't seem to be a lot on the market. I think its a great concept, and I can't wait until someone else makes one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thats funny because I just came upon this today while researching for my OA98.

I bought a RRA kit and built it on a regular 556 lower and love it. Since I finally got uzi mags and converted them.

After looking at the OA 9 mm I think I will take one of my O% forgeings and try to make a lower out of it for glock mags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I was ready to order a K9GL...

But it doesn't look like flat-top is even an option?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
got one several month ago and love it.
Function with glock mags 100% , function with 31 sherer mags , well let's not talk about that.
Yes flattop is a option , i have one.
Check out this to get more info http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=218330
hope that link works.
Michael
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thats funny because I just came upon this today while researching for my OA98.

I bought a RRA kit and built it on a regular 556 lower and love it. Since I finally got uzi mags and converted them.

After looking at the OA 9 mm I think I will take one of my O% forgeings and try to make a lower out of it for glock mags.

+1 on that idea...

I am also eager for a Glock mag friendly AR, but am not convinced on going the Oly route.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#9]
and just who else do you think u will be waiting for someone who ripps off oly's idea
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and just who else do you think u will be waiting for someone who ripps off oly's idea

Um, yeah... the idea of a mag block to use type XYZ 9mm mags in a AR type lower is a concept unique to Oly  
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
No but idea of having one that actullay works is dont u think and the reason there not many Glock mag oly rifles on the market is because they have so many orders for normal ar15 rifles it is hard for oly to work those in so u dont have to ask yourself why anymore will be a bit easier on the brain.

p.s. flatop is an option
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No but idea of having one that actullay works is dont u think and the reason there not many Glock mag oly rifles on the market is because they have so many orders for normal ar15 rifles it is hard for oly to work those in so u dont have to ask yourself why anymore will be a bit easier on the brain.

p.s. flatop is an option

Actually, they told me they were waiting on parts.  I got my .40 S&W Oly Glock special.  While the mag catch system does hold the bolt open when the mag is empty, it is a little complicated.  That is the reason they are not selling lowers only (again that is what I was told).  Regardless, Oly's product is good on this one.  It would be NICE if some one came out with a Glock mag block for AR's.... hint hint hint......  until then, this is a great alternative to the Kel-Tec.

Just my .02

TS
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I guess mine if a dupe... thread link but it got more traffic so there might be some info you are looking for in there...

I'm more or less decided on getting one now... despite how ugly that mag release is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Just ordered my Glocklympic AR in .40S&W with an A3 upper and their FIRSH tactical handguard. Word from the factory is I'm going to be waiting at least four months before I see it. I hope I can make it that long. I suppose it'll make a nice Christmas present to myself, huh?

By the way, my Kel-Tec SUB200 is for sale now!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:31:49 AM EDT
[#16]
How do you like the stock on your GLOCK?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Nothing against your Glock AR but it still won't do this

myweb.cableone.net/uziforme/mallcase2.jpg

Now if you had that barrel threaded for a suppressor.....
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How do you like the stock on your GLOCK?

The stock on my Oly/Glock is a cheap P.O.S., but it serves a purpose, I'm gonna replace it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I was actually directing that to David Hineline.  Seeing that made me think about going an entirely different way on my project.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nothing against your Glock AR but it still won't do this...

Wow.  A SBR G18.  Not many of those in the US.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well I sent Oly an e-mail asking them if their policy of no separate lowers would change anytime soon? I'm not expecting to receive the answer I want to hear so I guess that rules this one out for me. Back to waiting on Glock to release a 9mm carbine

Any luck with Oly and the lower?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I e-mailed them about it awhile back. They do not sell the lower seperatly. They didn't say if they would or not.

I would rather build a RRA upper and put the oly lower on. Since I have a glock 19 I think the concept is awesome. Being able to use my pistol magazines in a rifle is a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I e-mailed them about it awhile back. They do not sell the lower seperatly. They didn't say if they would or not.

I would rather build a RRA upper and put the oly lower on. Since I have a glock 19 I think the concept is awesome. Being able to use my pistol magazines in a rifle is a great idea.

Yeah I called them early last year to order one of their KPM Glock drop in blocks.  The guy convinced me to wait and just order the lower instead.  Half a year later, when I called back they told me they wouldn't sell just the lower and no longer made the blocks either.  I was just hoping something changed in the last year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the same response I got - no separate lowers at this point. Probably sometime in the future but that was more of a guess on the CSR's part then anything.

The only interest I would have for a 9mm AR is one that would use all of my Glock mags and can be built inexpensively. I already have 15-20 9mm Glock mags (19's, 17's and 18's) and, because it would be mostly a toy for me, I would prefer something I could piece together over time as money\deals present themselves. I'm not willing to put more then ~$500-$600 into this.

So basically this one is on the back burner for me right now. If Oly ever changes their policies about selling stripped lowers, I'll re-evaluate it then.

What I really want is Glock to produce a 9mm carbine (ala Beretta Storm). If they would do that and it retailed in the same price range as the Storm I would buy one of those in a heart beat!
(I know, I know - I'm not holding my breath on that one anytime soon )
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah I called them early last year to order one of their KPM Glock drop in blocks.  The guy convinced me to wait and just order the lower instead.  Half a year later, when I called back they told me they wouldn't sell just the lower and no longer made the blocks either.  I was just hoping something changed in the last year.

I have e-mailed with Oly on a few occasions, and every time the responses have been very candid, ambiguous, and extremely dissatisfying. I can see how they get such a bad rap just from that.

Despite this, I still really want this Glock mag AR. If another, more reputable company would get off their ass and make just the lower (doesn't even need the stock on it IMHO) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I can't believe no other AR parts company will touch this idea. I was really hoping Ameetec might jump on the idea... and improve on the mag release, but I guess nobody see the potential in this?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have e-mailed with Oly on a few occasions, and every time the responses have been very candid, ambiguous, and extremely dissatisfying. I can see how they get such a bad rap just from that.

Despite this, I still really want this Glock mag AR. If another, more reputable company would get off their ass and make just the lower (doesn't even need the stock on it IMHO) I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I can't believe no other AR parts company will touch this idea. I was really hoping Ameetec might jump on the idea... and improve on the mag release, but I guess nobody see the potential in this?

Better yet, if we could just get someone to make this block for all the 9mm and 40 cal uppers already out there.  It would require some work on the upper to clear the block and notching the glock mags.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:01 AM EDT
[#27]
It would be pretty cool if Hahn expanded their line to include a block for Glock mags and a guide that slid down over a Glock mag and locked onto glock mag catch slot. then had a relieved area where the cut is to be made for the AR mag catch.  Then you could put it on each Glock mag, run a file through the guide hole a few times, and be good to go.  Repete 20-30 times.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#28]
With all the guys on here who can drill out a 1/3 receiver and/or run a CNC machine I'm surprised nobody is willing to give this a shot.

If someone could come up with a good CAD drawing of it my brother in law would probably be willing to play around with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It would be pretty cool if Hahn expanded their line to include a block for Glock mags and a guide that slid down over a Glock mag and locked onto glock mag catch slot. then had a relieved area where the cut is to be made for the AR mag catch.  Then you could put it on each Glock mag, run a file through the guide hole a few times, and be good to go.  Repete 20-30 times.  

This guy has the equiptment and is looking for some projects.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=248554

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
you guys, i have one gl 40 ar....it is awesome! however, due to finanances, im selling mine.................its fully loaded.....it should be posted tonight.....i find the idea of its dedicated lower better than the mag blocks i have owned b4.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This guy has the equiptment and is looking for some projects.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=248554

Is he still around? I kind of got the impression he got locked because of that thread. I was discussing possibly lending him the Oly/Glock 9mm lower to reverse engineer if/when I get it.

Quoted:
you guys, i have one gl 40 ar....it is awesome! however, due to finanances, im selling mine.................its fully loaded.....it should be posted tonight.....i find the idea of its dedicated lower better than the mag blocks i have owned b4.

Does Glock make 30+ round mags for 40 cals? I thought they only made them for 9mm because of the G18?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Does Glock make 30+ round mags for 40 cals? I thought they only made them for 9mm because of the G18?

Scherer makes a 29 rounder, but I hear it's hit or miss with reliability.  I've seen some 4 and 8 round extensins on Brownells, but after the cost, I would go with a couple of regular hi-caps with +2s.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Scherer makes a 29 rounder, but I hear it's hit or miss with reliability.  I've seen some 4 and 8 round extensins on Brownells, but after the cost, I would go with a couple of regular hi-caps with +2s.

That's not too encouraging...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a total of 5 scherer mags for my LRM 169 now, and my buddy has 4.  I have had one for years with no problem.  It does take a while before you can load more than 18 rounds by hand.  We tried them all out the other day, and had no issues.  Again, they were not all fully loaded.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Do Glock 19 mags fit in the OLY/Glock AR or are they too short?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Yes, as a matter of fact I haven't had any problems with the G19 or G17 mags in my Oly/Glock, have had problems with some of the 31 rounders though
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
have had problems with some of the 31 rounders though

Were they factory Glock 31 round mags?

To anyone that has on of these, is it very accurate?  I recently got to shoot a RRA 9mm that takes Colt/UZI mags and was very impressed/surprised with how accurate it was.  I am wondering if the Olympic/Glock with an 11.5"/5.5" barrel would be just as good.

ETA:  The range that I was shooting the RRA at was only 50 feet, as it was indoors.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Mike I have the 31 round Glock mags and they work great.  As for accuracy with the OLY GLock 9mm, I was hitting bulls at 100 yards standing ,with Eotech, no problem.  Very accurate for a 9mm.  I have the 11.5 with 5 flashhider.  I highly recommend the model I got.  A3 flat top.  I had to order from OLY because of that, but you might be able to find some out on the market or gun shows.  It took a couple of months but I got in the middle of the back log orders.  I think they are all caught up now so it should not take long to order one.  Out of the box ready to rock.  No need to mess with blocks, modified expensive sten mags, or changing out the hammer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:
have had problems with some of the 31 rounders though

Were they factory Glock 31 round mags?

Yes, they were factory Glock mags, I even sent them back to Glock.. . they pretty much told me to piss up a rope if they weren't being used in a Glock pistol lol

As far as accuracy goes, haven't put it on a bench yet, but can hit head shots at 50 yds with open sights all day long as fast as you can get sight alignment and pull the trigger.

I'm very very very happy with it!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the replys.  I asked my local FFL about them, but he hasn't had the opportunity to handle them yet.  I guess I'll have to see how long it would take to process the order and if the wait isn't bad order one.

I read some of you guys saying that you would want a stripped lower, but I don't see why?  This rifle seems to work as a system so if you got a stripped lower you would have to order a lot of Olympic Arms parts for it.  I guess you could choose a different barrel and maybe use a higher quality lower parts kit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, as a matter of fact I haven't had any problems with the G19 or G17 mags in my Oly/Glock, have had problems with some of the 31 rounders though

Problems with the 31 rounders is concerning.  I was thinking of buying one of the 9mm so I could use the 31 round mags.  I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or if it was just an unlucky combination i.e. those particular mags with that particular rifle????
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, I've had problems with 2 of the 4 31 round mags that I own, I would like to try some other 31 rounders in it to see how they function, but not bad enough to purchase them lol
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I read some of you guys saying that you would want a stripped lower, but I don't see why?  This rifle seems to work as a system so if you got a stripped lower you would have to order a lot of Olympic Arms parts for it.  I guess you could choose a different barrel and maybe use a higher quality lower parts kit.

I think most people are interested in the lower, not necessarily stripped. They just want the option of putting an upper on it from a company with a better repuation for quality.

That's been a question that nobody has been able to answer with 100% surety. Even Olympic themselves can't say whether the rifle would function properly if you used a different upper with their Glock lower.

I've pretty much given up on the hopes that another company will produce their own Glock mag AR. I'm planning on buying the complete rifle and then suppressing it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Just posted my Oly/Glock 9mm for sale. . . . . LINK
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Tagged...  if these would run with the 33-rd G-18 mags and I could use it with the rLL I would love to own one of these...  If they don't like the 33-rd mags or the rLL then I will stick with my Colt upper and Colt mags!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quarterbore, what is the rLL?
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quarterbore, what is the rLL?

A rLL is a registered Lightning Link.  The lightning link is a machinegun which when dropped into a semiautomatic AR-15 converts the semiautomatic into a full auto machinegun.

More info:  quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I see, Thanks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top