Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 7:08:46 AM EDT
I have an RRA 9mm AR15 with a .223 bolt catch.  The mag block I have has the bolt-hold-open feature, so if I use Colt mags (I have 2 coming tomorow from JT), and I want the bolt to stay back on the last round, do I need the 9mm bolt catch?

Sorry if this has been covered before.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No, you do not need another bolt catch.  The bolt catch on the block will hold the bolt open.  What brand is your block?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure who made the mag block - I bought it used on gunbroker.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Im suprised ya don't need another extra part... it seems that with the colt/rra/asa style 9mm s  ya have to spend a fair amount of $$ on the "extra" parts to make it work right , IF it does work right at all, a  lot of people have problems with that style

If last shot bolt hold open is really that important to you... go for it.... if not buy an OLY style 9mm upper.... no "extra" parts required and it will feed anything reliably

There are a some quality firearms out there withOUT last shot bolt hold open... HK G3, G33, MP5, GALIL, etc.   It really isn't that big of deal.... not worth the hassle or expense, IMO

just to be fair... the uzi/colt mags are more compact  than the sten mags.. with or without a block. Makes for a challenge finding a "newer" style mag carrier, ie: mag puches, tac vests, etc. The sten mags are longer for the same capacity. Though, a M3 Grease Gun mag pouch works good for Sten mags

~D~

SNS

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I built my 9mm AR from parts.  I had a bushmaster lower, with the lower parts kit and their Fiberlite stock.  I added the RRA preban upper, and some other goodies along with the mag block and some uzi mags, and it has run like a champ since, and is an awesome toy.  Now I have 2 Colt 9mm AR mags on the way, and I just wanted to know if the stock bolt catch would function correctly, or if I need the 9mm bolt catch.

I have to admit, there is something satisfying about dropping the empty mag, slapping in a fresh one, tapping the bolt release, and getting back to business.  That would be just like the old days!  So, in that respect, yes, the bolt hold open feature is important to me.

http://members.cox.net/steve.schmidt/9mm%20AR.JPG
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Also, regarding the importance of the BHO feature, the placement of the charging handle (e.g., the MP-5) makes it easier to charge the bolt while the weapon is shouldered. With an AR-15, this is impossible or darn close to it.

While I agree that the BHO function is not necessary in general, the basic design of the AR-15 and the fact that is was design with the BHO function in mind, makes it much more important when you're working with that platform.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]
can anyone say "tactical latch" ?  This would facilitate a fast and easy "charge".

I would have to agree.... the LSBHO feature is nice and prefered(wish oly did that), but for the ease of operation/switching and no-extra parts to purchase to make it work properly... the LSBHO is easy to sacrifice in leu of a tactical latch added to the CH.

With the extra parts you add.. it pretty much makes it a dedicated 9mm rifle,  Is that what you're trying to do or are doing.... a somewhat dedicated 9mm rifle? which IMO isn't neccessarily a bad thing... Im working on a dedicated 9mm(&.45) lower for the oly style uppers.

~D~

SNS
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
can anyone say "tactical latch" ?  This would facilitate a fast and easy "charge".
SNS

I've got PRI Big Latches on both my ARs and I couldn't pull them as easily as the charging handle on the MP-5 (I had an HK-94 for a couple of yrs.). I'm just talking about what works for me.

I'm working on putting together a dedicated 9mm AR so I don't know if I'm really spending any more on additional parts. I just know what I want out of the final product.

I'm glad to hear you're working on dedicated lowers. Lord knows we could use them, especially in .45. Heck, I'd bet I'd just have to have one
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
We're building .45 AR lowers that use M-3 mags. E-mail or call and I can give you details. Will  www.redstick-firearms.com
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We're building .45 AR lowers that use M-3 mags. E-mail or call and I can give you details. Will  www.redstick-firearms.com

Please keep us informed. I wouldnt mind having a dedicated .45 lower (and upper for that metter).  I dont know what the hell is wrong with me, but latelty all I can think about is pistol cal. AR's.

9mm, 22lr, 45acp........  
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Please keep us informed. I wouldnt mind having a dedicated .45 lower (and upper for that metter).  I dont know what the hell is wrong with me, but latelty all I can think about is pistol cal. AR's.

9mm, 22lr, 45acp........  

OT,

Dave, you need a 50AE Sledgehammer from Tony @ Tromix, I have more fun with that "pistol" caliber AR then any other AR I own.   Did you get to shoot it the last time we where at Hite Hollow?  

However, I'm wondering why nobody is working on a .45GAP conversion, the round has an OAL just shy of a 9mm.....I wonder what mags would work....hmmmm........

Steve.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OT,

Dave, you need a 50AE Sledgehammer from Tony @ Tromix, I have more fun with that "pistol" caliber AR then any other AR I own.   Did you get to shoot it the last time we where at Hite Hollow?  

However, I'm wondering why nobody is working on a .45GAP conversion, the round has an OAL just shy of a 9mm.....I wonder what mags would work....hmmmm........

Steve.

I dont think I did.  Is that the one with the ss HB and the A2 stock?  I think I remember seeing it but not shooting it.  I DO remember shooting your f/a toys .  The first f/a Uzi I ever shot was yours.  (Iv'e been lucky enough to shoot several more since then.......I LOVE ARFCOM shoots!)  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top