Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 5:32:31 PM EDT
Anyone ever build one? Pencil bbl is out because of the bore size (I assume), where else can I save weight? I'd like to build a girly AR for the wife. Major comlaints are too heavy and too loud.
I figure cutting the bbl down to 10" and adding an aluminum extension (ala XM177) would save some weight. Any more idea's?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:48:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You can actually go pretty far on a 9mm barrel.  A 9mm pistol barrel is usually around .6", and that's the same diameter as an original pencil barrel, give or take.  9mm peak pressure is much lower than 5.56/.223, so the barrel doesn't need to be as thick.

A bigger issue than pressure with a thin-walled, long 9mm barrel would be warp or droop as the barrel heats, due to the thinner barrel wall, which would make your POI wander some.

If you'd rather keep the thick barrel wall, you could have it fluted instead.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
It could be done and heat will be less of a problem with then pencil barrels.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#3]
You want ultra light? Make it an SBR. Cut the barrel to 8 inches, no muzzle device. carbon fiber free float tube. A3 receiver with a lightweight optic on it. Use a light stock, your choice. That ought to come in  under 5 pounds, easily.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top