Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2004 2:53:33 PM EDT
If you took a stock AR-15 receiver such as the Ameetec, or RRA, and welded in a stop that would prevent it from taking non .22 clips or feeding non .22 ammo, would that be legal?

I have read all through the assualt weapons rules for this state and its pretty cloudy, but seems to only apply to centerfires.  I just moved here and have some AR-15 recievers back home out east, that I wouldnt mind welding so that they would only feed .22.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Joe Poyer's book seems to be saying that as long as the gun has a .22 upper on it, it's legal. I'd think that would especially be true if you were not in possession of a centerfire upper. (He has a whole little section on legal .22 ARs in CA.)

I'd think that if you were to put in a forward pin that were non-removable (so the upper couldn't be replaced with a CF upper), that would really do it.

I'd suggest getting hold of your actual law and seeing what it says, or maybe trying to find a lawyer out there who really knows this stuff. Maybe contact the NRA in CA. I understand there has been some overzealous "enforcement" and things that shouldn't have been siezed, have.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
From what laws imply, any standard AR or AK receiver that's capable of taking centerfire caliber detachable magazine is "Assult Weapon". The idea of putting only rimfire upper on the gun does not change the fact.

As regards to the possibility of welding the magazine opening so it only takes rimfire magazine, that could be a possibility. The best bet is to check with CA DOJ to see if that modification can remove the "rimfire only" receiver from assult weapon status (I still hate that stupid term, by the way).

Since there is already the infamous FAB-10 receiver (which I won't want one even if they are giving it out for free), I guess if any company that makes a dedicated AR receiver that only accept the rimfire magazine could mark their receiver as CA legal, but that's really a big pile of stinking s**t you will stump onto going pissing match with CA DOJ if different ruling comes up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A lower with a 10-round .22 mag riveted into it (a la the FAB-10) should be legal.  Unless the closed bottom on that lower is necessary for legality.  

Making one that takes a detachable .22 mag only might be kinda tricky since all of the .22 uppers use mags designed for the standard mag well.  

Attaching a .22-only upper in a permanent way as Snake45 suggested should work since the gun would effectively be a .22 then.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Help me out here

You cannot own a .22 AR15 in California? is this for real, because if it is…… WOOHOO! I've found a place with worse gun laws than Britain!

.22 AR-15 Perfectly legal to own in Britain.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
What I understand is that you will have to dedicate a "lower" receiver to .22LR only
.22cal rimfire "rifles" is exempt from SB23 in Kali...
so a dedicated AR15 "lower" with a 10-round .22LR detachable mag should be legal to build.
the same receiver MUST NOT accept .223 magazine ever.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What I understand is that you will have to dedicate a "lower" receiver to .22LR only
so a dedicated AR15 "lower" with a 10-round .22LR detachable mag should be legal to build.

The reason is that .223 and .22LR mags are the same

So it's not practical to do it that way...

However, welding the front takedown pin in place IS practical, and perminantly prevents the gun from accepting centerfire ammo...
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the lower is *capable* of accepting any centerfire detachable magazine, it would not be approved for sale in the PRK.  Even then, you'd have trouble finding an FFL who'd be willing to risk his license on such a sale.

-Troy

You just contridicted yourself ...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
So here's what I think would possibly be legal in PRK:

1. design a .22LR dedicated upper (many has already done that)
2. Re-design a .22LR magazine, i.e. Ciener style magazine w/o the metal around the magazine to help fit it into .223 magwell, thus it's small and will only fit into a dedicated .22LR magazine well.
3. Machine the AR lower to accept only the magazine in #2.

In this case, the .22LR AR may be legal in CA, but still subject to DOJ approval. My question is: other then looking cool, what does this .22LR AR can do that a nicely modified Ruger 10/22 cannot do? The only reason for me to own .22LR conversion kit is so I can practice and shoot at lower cost then shooting .223. However, for those who live in CA and have not legally possess/Register an AR15 before the ban then the scenario above does not apply. Just like FAB-10, this "CA legal" .22LR AR15 (if anyone every built it) will be another PRK only toy that no one wants to buy/touch in the other free states. Personally, if I don't already have an AR I will just buy a 10/22 and start to modify it to be my fun plinking gun; if I need .223 or even .308, Kel-Tec SU-16, Ruger Mini14 and M1A are good choices.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top