Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/30/2004 4:30:12 PM EDT
Which is the best .22LR upper to get as far as reliability, build quality and magazine price/availability?

DPMS, seems to have good reviews.

KKF, has some custom options, but uses a Ciener kit. Reliable?

CZ V22, Definately priced right. Does it work OK?

How about magazines? Mags can make or break an otherwise good semi-auto.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
KKF and DPMS are both first rate, the CZ is a step down I think
Either of the first two should outlast your interest in firearms and maybe your kids' as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been researching this and I'm planning to buy a DPMS as soon as Cheaperthandirt has them in stock at the advertised $399 price. Looks like the best combination of quality and value. I'm hoping it will run with the M261 magazines, of which I already have several.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Also take a look at the uppers made by Rick Kuehl.  I have two that run super.  He uses a modified Ciener kit, so 30 rnd mags are readily available (but expensive at ~$110 each).  10 round mags cost ~$25.  These uppers can be had with full auto capability if you ever get there.  Also, he recesses the barrel in the receiver so a 16" barrel looks more like the 14.5" - that if you go for the M4 look alike.  The only problem I've had with the Ciener is with some used mags I bought that needed the feed lips adjusted.  It won't work if these are bent.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I second the Kuehl upper.  You may want to consider it also.  Here's a pic of it.

Dan

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 6:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies folks!

I forgot all about Kuehl Precision.

Boy, that is a good price on the DPMS unit at CTD. That's cheaper than Brownells with an FFL/C&R discount. No wonder they are sold out.

That's a beautiful 22LR M4, Dan0341!

Link Posted: 5/1/2004 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't get KKF's stuff over here in the UK, but had a look at the CZ and DPMS M4. CZ is ok, but looks like any other .22 rifle (side cocking bolt). It will use Ciener 30 round mags though.

Went with a pre-ban DPMS M4 carbine in the end, real quality and its the 'real deal' M4. 10 round mags are a bummer, but Southern Gun Co here in UK will be selling a 25 round mag shortly.

It's stuck in customs at Chicago Intl at the moment waiting for Feb export papers,(come on guys it's been 3 weeks )

Will post a better review with pics when i get my hands on it.

Andy
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with Kuehl. I've got one listed on the equipment exchange for a very resonable price.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Kuehl rules!   30rd mags are expensive, but after the AWB sunset the prices should drop back down again.  His work is great, he tests for fit and function - even the magazines.  I had him make me a semiauto M4gery and a full auto SD upper.  Luckily I had a bunch of 30rd mags I got before the ban, and spare suppressor lying around.  I'm a happy camper.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have a link for Keuhl uppers?  TIA!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone have a link for Keuhl uppers?  TIA!

www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ is a P.O.S. --- I had to polish the bolt face, the feed ramp, and the chamber to get it to work right. It only likes Mini-Mags and jams-up or doesn't eject with any other kind of ammo. Firing pin broke and they had to take one out of a new one because they don't have any spare parts. Go for a DPMS at least.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I chose the Kuehl in part because only the finest materals are used and you are getting a personal hand built upper. FN uppers and highest grade match barrels with match tolerences are employed. Not a mass produced upper but a truly hand made upper.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been researching this and I'm planning to buy a DPMS as soon as Cheaperthandirt has them in stock at the advertised $399 price. Looks like the best combination of quality and value. I'm hoping it will run with the M261 magazines, of which I already have several.

Brownell's carries these...they have the flat top bull barrel one  for $349 dealer price...get that C&R TODAY!!  They also carry M4 and CMP versions, but they cost more.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top