Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 11:07:19 AM EDT
Two questions:

How do you locate the notch area correctly?  My guess is to insert the mag on a closed bolt and mark it, then cut a tiny bit above the upper line, but this is a guess...

Also, i sit the follower in a Colt mag that trips the bolt hold-open, or is there some other mechanism?  If it is the follower, would it be possible to maybe have a batch of "uzi-to-colt" followers that would trip the bolt hold-open?  

Just want to know what I am getting into before making the final plunge on a 9mm upper!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Two questions:

How do you locate the notch area correctly?  My guess is to insert the mag on a closed bolt and mark it, then cut a tiny bit above the upper line, but this is a guess...
View Quote

That's just one question [:D]

Seriously though, when I did my Sten mag notching, I removed the mag catch, and did just like you said, EXCEPT I cut RIGHT on the marked line.  I did this just for safety's sake, because if the mag catch is cut TOO high, you won't strip the round out of the magazine.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, one question because I bumped "submit" by accident- second question below!

I take it you have an Oly upper?  Or are you one of the priveleged few to have a modified JRW mag block?  [:)]

Speaking of which, does anyone know what ever happened to ProfGab101 and that conversion project for Colt w/Sten mags???
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
The rear notch is easy to do,,,insert the mag into the mag adaptor(not in the rifle) and clearence where the hold open hits..keep clearencing untill you can fully insert the mag and not activate the holdopen....On the mag catch cut,,,Put the mag adpartor in your lower without the stock mag catch in place and mark your magazine...The stock colt mags have a little nub that hits the holdopen and if someone came up with a uzi follower that worked they would sell like gangbusters........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, one question because I bumped "submit" by accident- second question below!

I take it you have an Oly upper?  Or are you one of the priveleged few to have a modified JRW mag block?  [:)]

Speaking of which, does anyone know what ever happened to ProfGab101 and that conversion project for Colt w/Sten mags???
View Quote

Yah, I have a modified JRW block.

Profgab is having some problems right now, but hopes to be back in the swing of things in a little while.  I am trying to line up some manufacturing of some of these blocks in the mean time.  Keep a lookout on the thread that's tacked in this forum about that subject!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Gloftoe,

If you end up manufacturing some of these blocks, let me know (shoot me a private message if it isn't too much trouble).  I have been holding off on buying a RRA 9mm upper and mag block until I knew how the whole Sten block thing panned out. I would buy a JRW block and do it myslef at this point but *poof* there aren't anymore to be found!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Underdog,

Could you post a picture of both a colt mag shoing the follower and an Uzi mag showing the follower? (gears turning in head)  

Hmm...modified Sten mag followers? [:D]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top