Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2021 11:34:21 AM EDT
Attachment Attached File

I purchased this cut down Colt 727 upper a few weeks ago.  I have a small problem. The upper seems tighter than normal and the carrier will not freely slide down to the barrel. It binds about halfway in and requires a little force to push it down— happens on 3 different carriers and before contacting the gas tube.
What could be causing this?  Vendor have been contacted and he “doesn’t know” because it was fine when it left the shop.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody likely twisted it at one point in time during a barrel install/removal.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said or maybe clamped in incorrectly and closed it up?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. That’s my thought as well. I’m gonna try to just return it
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody likely twisted it at one point in time during a barrel install/removal.
View Quote
I have never managed to do this, even while breaking two barrel wrenches.

My F5 can cannon will only accept one out of a half dozen carriers I own.  It is a cheap PSA bcg that I normally run in my .300AAC SBR.  I even put a label on my cannon barrel just to remember which bolt to pick.

I would guess in my case the upper is out of spec, perhaps due to a coating issue?  OP may have the same issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My F5 can cannon will only accept one out of a half dozen carriers I own.  It is a cheap PSA bcg that I normally run in my .300AAC SBR.  I even put a label on my cannon barrel just to remember which bolt to pick.  

I would guess in my case the upper is out of spec, perhaps due to a coating issue?  OP may have the same issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens quite frequently, TBH. Crushing while using a clamshell w/o an insert is another common cause.

Being that it's a USGI  upper and likely surplus, I'm doubtful that it's a coating issue. But anything is possible.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I tried 6 different carriers yesterday. All get stuck
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top