Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2020 12:40:02 AM EDT
Looking to purchase my first AR and need some input please. So I have an opportunity to buy a DDM4V7. The guy is looking to get rid of it due to wanting to fund something else. It’s only a year old and has been in the safe since he picked it up at his local FFL. He hasn’t put the 1st round through it. Comes with a case, 32 rd mag, DD iron sights, and forward grip. He’s asking $1349 which I believe is a great deal.
I’m a firm believer in that you get what you pay for. Being new to the AR-15 I’m torn on if I should purchase the DD or maybe get a good PSA and just spend a little money here and there on a new trigger and so forth as I go.
 I plan on using the rifle for the range, maybe a little predator hunting, home defense (hopefully never needed), and maybe attending a tac training class. I feel the DD is too good of a deal to pass on, but I have a terrible habit of being indecisive. A little input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:49:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Get it. It won’t be your last.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link to rifle.  Suggested retail $1729. and he wants $1349.
VS
PSA  lower complete
+    Better trigger Link    $80 + shipping
+    Upper Complete   WOA  16 in Predator  $735
or WOA  20 in Shilen   $1149

Or La Rue  Stealth you could order in their lower and a parts kit etc

There are lots of ways you can go at that price point that would be awesome.  WOA uppers are superb.  La Rue holds its value.  WOA builds all the uppers that win matches. You can always throw out an offer that makes you want to do it if he takes it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Not all that stellar of a price for a pre-owned rifle.  MSRP is in the $1700ish range, but you can somewhat routinely find them around that price point, sometimes even less.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/815604018456

That said, it's a quality rifle and a lot of places are OOS right now, so if you absolutely have to have that rifle, right now, it's not the worst deal in the world.

The real question here is whether you're going to have enough scratch left over to buy yourself a decent chunk of ammo, more mags, a sling, light, and a quality optic.  If not, I'd suggest maybe taking a look at some cheaper options that'll let you check some of those boxes sooner rather than later.  The additional stuff you'll be getting with that DD (expensive FF handguard, CHF barrel, etc) over a cheaper more basic factory rifle aren't necessarily things that'll make the rifle work better for you and your intended usage, especially with your experience level being what it is.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]
The DD rifle isn’t all that good of a deal. Don’t get me wrong it’s a nice rifle. For the money though I would go with a LaRue ultimate upper and there lower receiver. Buy a red dot or low power variable optic, ammo and start using it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd do it, that's a good price. I have that upper on a home assembled lower and it's very nice. I also have some PSA rifles, and I don't hate them but they're not as nice as the DD. Buy the DD if you have the money now. There's always time to buy cheaper guns. "Snooze ya lose" has happened more than once to me. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would buy that
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine was $1875 out the door, sounds like a good deal for you.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Just do it.  Great price for a good quality AR-15.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a tough decision from my perspective.  Not a bad price for an unfired DD rifle.  I've got a DDM4300 SBR that I paid retail for, since it's a factory SBR.  It's a good gun.  The challenge is that homebuilt AR's in the $1000 price point will be similar if not better quality, so you are paying a $350 premium for a factory gun.  However, that isn't too bad.  If you decide you don't like the DD, you will likely be able to unload it for at least $1k, whereas a custom gun you build yourself will likely only sell for $600 or so.  If you don't anticipate seriously getting into AR's, go with the DD.  Also, the prices I quoted for a home build have probably changed for the worse in the last couple of months, as components are more expensive now then they were 4 months ago.  I'd probably buy the DD if I was in your shoes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Do IT. I have a dd barrel. Can't be happier. Couldn't afford a complete rifle but I built a pretty mid range with mostly recognized good name brands parts.

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Do it. As some folks have pointed out, there are definitely better deals to be had under the right circumstances and you can make a great gun by building it yourself under the right circumstances. The problem is that those circumstances may not apply to you. Further, for your first AR, you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. What is paramount for a first gun is that it is as reliable as a hammer so that you can focus learning to use it. As such, I'd get that rifle with no hesitation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I ended up not getting it. The seller tried to bump the price up on me just before I had left the house to make the drive. Told him no thanks and good luck w/ it. So now I’m just looking around to see what other options. BCM Recce looks like a really nice gun. Have seen a few of them in the $1200 area. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well I ended up not getting it. The seller tried to bump the price up on me just before I had left the house to make the drive. Told him no thanks and good luck w/ it. So now I’m just looking around to see what other options. BCM Recce looks like a really nice gun. Have seen a few of them in the $1200 area. I appreciate all the advice. Thanks!
View Quote

Have you considered a build? I built my first AR. Is not rocket since. Couple of YouTube videos and reading and you are gtg.  To facilitate my build because I had no experience I got a DD barrel low profile gas block because they come with the gas block pre-pinned already (They use taper pin which is the best to secure the gas block and can't go wrong it only goes one way).  I got one of those BCM blem uppers, blem aero lower which I couldn't find the blem but whatever you save some $$$    ALG  Defense hand guards because you don't need a wrench  to tighten the barrel but. They have their own little tool and a iron pipe and follow instructions and you are gtg.  Installing the lower parts kits is not rocket science. I Installed it and didn't even had the complete tools. Its fun and you save $$$ this way plus you have more time to research and find out whats suits you. If you have any questions I'm sure lots of people here can help you. Specially in the Built it yourself Forum.  You can even save more if you get some used parts in the EE here. But for the heart of the built I went with new stuff. Barrel, Bolt carrier, gas tube, Buffer system, lower parts kits. etc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
BCM RECCE is a good deal

I would strongly consider looking at Centurion Arms Complete rifle.  It is the best value out there IMO.  Comes with FN CHF chrome lined barrel, their really good rail (CMR mlock standard but can change to other options when ordering, B5 stock, and pinned gas block

At $1200 it is a really good deal.  They have a lightweight barreled version as well

CM4 RIFLE
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BCM RECCE is a good deal

I would strongly consider looking at Centurion Arms Complete rifle.  It is the best value out there IMO.  Comes with FN CHF chrome lined barrel, their really good rail (CMR mlock standard but can change to other options when ordering, B5 stock, and pinned gas block

At $1200 it is a really good deal.  They have a lightweight barreled version as well

CM4 RIFLE
View Quote

I will check into them. Thanks for the input. Hell it seems everything is so scarce right now in my area as I’m sure it is everywhere. One of the local shops here in town is supposed to be restocking most of their shelves this week hopefully. I’ll check Centurion out.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have you considered a build? I built my first AR. Is not rocket since. Couple of YouTube videos and reading and you are gtg.  To facilitate my build because I had no experience I got a DD barrel low profile gas block because they come with the gas block pre-pinned already (They use taper pin which is the best to secure the gas block and can't go wrong it only goes one way).  I got one of those BCM blem uppers, blem aero lower which I couldn't find the blem but whatever you save some $$$    ALG  Defense hand guards because you don't need a wrench  to tighten the barrel but. They have their own little tool and a iron pipe and follow instructions and you are gtg.  Installing the lower parts kits is not rocket science. I Installed it and didn't even had the complete tools. Its fun and you save $$$ this way plus you have more time to research and find out whats suits you. If you have any questions I'm sure lots of people here can help you. Specially in the Built it yourself Forum.  You can even save more if you get some used parts in the EE here. But for the heart of the built I went with new stuff. Barrel, Bolt carrier, gas tube, Buffer system, lower parts kits. etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have thought about it. Still considering it. I’ll check into the “blem selection” also. Heck I didn’t even know they sold blems. That’s great to know. Most of the time as you stated, you can’t find the Blem or it’s barely noticeable. That’s been my experience with stuff I’ve purchased in the past. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a PSA, put a larue mbt2s in it, run an optic for the style of shooting you think you’ll do most and use the rest of the money on ammo.

Shoot it a lot, figure out what you like and don’t like, then make an informed decision on if and what you might else want out of an AR platform rifle
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
So I’m still looking around. About as indecisive as a kid look at a can’t rack. Thinking about just buying a lower and a quality upper. I mainly just want to buy a complete rifle for my first AR. Problem there is that the shelves are damn near empty. I’m really digging Centurion Arms. If I go that route I’ll have to be patient with the 2-4 week shipping time. I did run across this LE6920 here locally today. It’s had just 300 ran through it. The guy has sent more pics to me, but I’m not sure how to exactly link them here since they are saved directly to my phone. Seems to be in great shape. He’s asking 1300 or best offer. Really feel that 1300 is pretty steep, but I’m willing to make him an offer. Any suggestions on an offer price? Need to get passed this BS and just sling some lead already. Thanks! Link attached.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:17:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Replied to your PM.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Replied to your PM.  Good luck.
View Quote

Got it! Thanks again. The info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Scratch all the questions and all of that. Ended up ordering a Centurion Arms CM4. Figured I’d order a new one. That way I know exactly what I’m getting and not have to worry about where it’s been and what hell it went through. Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have not one “bought” AR15. I’ve put them together myself. To me,thats the fun of it. For 1200, I got 3 or 4 AR’s or about 4000 rounds of ammo. That was in the salad days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd get the DD.  I think DD has won various government contracts, which would mean that their manufacturing processes have been scrutized to an extant that isnt possible with companies like PSA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like a nice setup but here’s something to think about. I had a set of Daniel defense iron sights a used carbine length gas tube and a flash hider.  I bought a stripped  Anderson upper and lower and Anderson lower parts kit online. I bought everything else on the marketplace. New 10” mlok Handguard, new psa premium bolt, new buffer kit, used stock, gas block, new 1/9” nitride barrel $70 you get the point. I built a really nice budget rifle for $425 buying almost everything here.

Shot it this weekend and it ran like it’s supposed to.  If didn’t already have rifles I’d probably buy it all at once and not wait. These deals took me about 4 months.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm another who will recommend the LaRue Ultimate Upper Kit. For $792 you can get built upper (they are still doing free assembly) and everything you would need to build a lower. If you buy an UU Kit LaRue will sell you a lower for $200 which once built will give you a an all matching LaRue rifle. If you don't mind getting a tax stamp you can also add on TranQuilo suppressor for another $400.

The lower doesn't take that much time, tools or effect to build.
Just a non-marring hammer to drive in the trigger and hammer pins,
a roll pin punch and a hammer (and some tape to prevent any scratches on the receiver) to install the bolt catch,
a razor blade, thin credit card or 1/4" clevis pin to install the pivot pin (I recommend the clevis pin),
something small, round and non-marring (the eraser end of a pencil is perfect) to push the magazine release button in while you tighten magazine catch into it,
an allen wrench to attach the grip,
and a buffer tube wrench or armorer's tool to tighten the buffer tube.
If you're putting together a lower that doesn't have a built in trigger guard you would also need a hammer and the proper size roll pin punch to install that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Appreciate all the info guys. Lots of help here and I appreciate it. I ended up getting a CM4 from Centurion Arms. Figured I would get a complete for my first AR. After I get acquainted with it, I fully intend on building one myself as I’m sure the CM4 will not be my last. Thanks again!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top