Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/13/2018 6:58:00 AM EDT
Hello everyone, I am new to the AR15 platform. I have been looking around the web for answers to my questions, but I have yet to find anything useful, so I figured I'd post on here. I am wanting to more deeply understand how the internal components of the lower receiver of an ar-15 works. Here are some questions you guys can hopefully help me with:

1. What position is the hammer in after firing the last shot and the bcg is locked to the rear? What I mean is, is the hammer retained by the disconnector, by the actual trigger at the sear, or does it fall forward freely? This is assuming if you let go of the trigger, as per usual when firing the last round in a mag.

1.5. What if you empty a mag and don't let go of the trigger, in what position would the hammer be in?

2. If the disconnector is retaining the hammer, is the firearm still considered "cocked". Or does the hammer need to be held in place at the sear (by the trigger) for the firearm to be considered cocked?

3. If the trigger is released while the bolt is locked back, what is preventing the hammer from falling forward?

4. Can the hammer engage the sear if the BCG is locked in the rearward position?

5. What happens if you pull the trigger when the BCG is locked rearward?

Thank you to everyone that can give their input on this. I am a bit OCD when it comes to things like this, so please don't roast me for my dumb questions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Still doesn’t answer my questions.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello everyone, I am new to the AR15 platform. I have been looking around the web for answers to my questions, but I have yet to find anything useful, so I figured I'd post on here. I am wanting to more deeply understand how the internal components of the lower receiver of an ar-15 works. Here are some questions you guys can hopefully help me with:

1. What position is the hammer in after firing the last shot and the bcg is locked to the rear? What I mean is, is the hammer retained by the disconnector, by the actual trigger at the sear, or does it fall forward freely? This is assuming if you let go of the trigger, as per usual when firing the last round in a mag.

The hammer is back, and is held even further back than it would be when cocked and at rest on the trigger sear.  With the bolt locked back, the bottom surface of the carrier is riding on top of the hammer, and holding it down.  When the bolt is closed, the hammer moves forward a small amount under spring tension.  If the trigger is not depressed at this time, it will land on the sear and be in the "cocked position".  If you are holding the trigger to the rear when you drop the bolt closed, the hammer will move slightly forward and be captured by the disconnector hook.  If after that you release the trigger, the hammer jumps off the disco hook and lands on the sear notch in the trigger.

1.5. What if you empty a mag and don't let go of the trigger, in what position would the hammer be in?

Same as above, with the bolt locked back, the trigger sear and disconnector do not interface with the hammer.

2. If the disconnector is retaining the hammer, is the firearm still considered "cocked". Or does the hammer need to be held in place at the sear (by the trigger) for the firearm to be considered cocked?

A matter of semantics, but either way the hammer is "back", whether on the disco or on the sear.

3. If the trigger is released while the bolt is locked back, what is preventing the hammer from falling forward?

As noted in #1, first and foremost it is the bottom surface of the bolt carrier.

4. Can the hammer engage the sear if the BCG is locked in the rearward position?

No.

5. What happens if you pull the trigger when the BCG is locked rearward?

The trigger swings back freely and will spring forward due to the trigger return spring, interfacing with no other parts except when the rear of the trigger "bottoms out" it's range of motion by hitting the barrel of the selector/safety switch.

Thank you to everyone that can give their input on this. I am a bit OCD when it comes to things like this, so please don't roast me for my dumb questions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, this helps a lot. Two more things:

If the bolt is locked in the rearward position and you pull the trigger, you’re saying the hammer won’t come in contact with anything right? Because it sure seems like the disconnector would engage the hammer if you pulled the trigger.

Also, if the bolt is locked in the rearward position, which means the hammer is far, far back, should you still be able to engage the safety?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Do yourself a big favor and get one of these. It will answer all your questions as well as the ones you haven't thought of yet.
As to your question, with the bolt locked back it is riding on top of the hammer and pulling the trigger it won't let the hammer move so....
And yes, you can still engage the safety with the bolt locked back.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alright, this helps a lot. Two more things:

If the bolt is locked in the rearward position and you pull the trigger, you're saying the hammer won't come in contact with anything right?

Correct, except that the rear end of it will hit the safety selector at full stroke.

Because it sure seems like the disconnector would engage the hammer if you pulled the trigger.

Nope, the hook on the hammer where the disco interfaces is too low to touch the disco at that point, as it's being held down by the carrier.

Also, if the bolt is locked in the rearward position, which means the hammer is far, far back, should you still be able to engage the safety?

Correct, the safety can be engaged with the bolt locked back.  The only time the safety cannot be engaged is if the hammer is fully forward (de-cocked).  At that point, the trigger is actually held back just a hair because the sear surface on the front of the trigger is riding on a thicker area of the hammer.  Since the trigger is held back slightly, the rear of the trigger is sticking up into the recess of the safety selector barrel and will prevent it from rotating to safe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#7]
D_man hmmm. That makes sense,except when the hammer is cocked and I pull back on the charging handle to lock the bolt (either w an empty mag or with the bolt catch) I cannot change the selector from fire to SAFE w a simple flick. It feels very binding and if I force it only then does it move to safe. I took the upper off and I inspected the lower and this was what I found:

When depressing the hammer w my thumb (to simulate bcg being pulled back and over the hammer), the switch gives little resistance when going from SAFE to fire. In fact, it even gives me cleareance to depress the hammer even slightly more down.

When depressing the hammer w my thumb and switching from fire to SAFE, the selector binds up at about halfway unless I ease my thumb off the hammer slightly to give some sort of clearance for the switch to move completely to SAFE. It feels like the bcg is not giving enough clearance to the hammer to more forward a little bit so that the selector switch can move freely to SAFE.

This is a lwrc m6ic direct impingement rifle that is pretty much brand new and stock; I haven’t made any real changes to it besides iron sights and a sling. What could be the problem? Is this normal?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do yourself a big favor and get one of these. It will answer all your questions as well as the ones you haven't thought of yet.
As to your question, with the bolt locked back it is riding on top of the hammer and pulling the trigger it won't let the hammer move so....
And yes, you can still engage the safety with the bolt locked back.
View Quote
I’ll definitely look into getting one of those mechanisms!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top