Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My "action plan" if someone breaks in doesn't require a flash light or even an AR15.  But everyone's action plan will vary depending on their personal tastes, experience and house layout.  I ain't going to get into mine on the internet but it is the safest and all around best one I can come up with.

I could just as easily use an AR but I am more familiar with something else... so I prefer that.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The crazy thing about plans is sometimes life doesn't go according to your plan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By America:
The crazy thing about plans is sometimes life doesn't go according to your plan.
View Quote

That is very true... and accounted for the best I can IMO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
Sorry I don't see the need for a sling.
View Quote

You're joking I bet.  You must be
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I will say I agree with most of the premise here.  That said, nothing added more pleasure to shoot for me than an upgraded G trigger.  It is my favorite upgrade...including the Trijis/Aimpoints, Surefires etc
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
I will say I agree with most of the premise here.  That said, nothing added more pleasure to shoot for me than an upgraded G trigger.  It is my favorite upgrade...including the Trijis/Aimpoints, Surefires etc
View Quote

Pleasure yes ease-of-use in a defensive rifle situation no.

Good triggers are amazing to have but a good trigger is nothing without an aiming point and illumination.  A trigger will not maintain control of your rifle as you drag someone behind cover.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Good triggers are amazing to have but a good trigger is nothing without an aiming point and illumination.  A trigger will not maintain control of your rifle as you drag someone behind cover.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed, if the premise is HD/GP rifle use.  If the base premise is what makes a rifle more pleasurable (not necessary;y in line with this topic) it's a trigger upgrade.  I will say a good trigger makes the standard milspec trigger pretty unbearable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:14:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I read this thread with great interest (though it was tough to wade through the arguing about light use).
I just got her a S&W sporter. It has sights. I got a sling. I got a bunch of mags and ammo. I am leaning towards optic before light, as I would need more rail space or a light that fits onto the bayonet lug...

I am not looking at clearing houses, and if someone comes into mine, I will play defense.

I checked out an optic that I liked, and posted questions on the "optic with A2 front sight" post, though I am not sure of all the terms there.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HeavilyArmedHippie:
I read this thread with great interest (though it was tough to wade through the arguing about light use).
I just got her a S&W sporter. It has sights. I got a sling. I got a bunch of mags and ammo. I am leaning towards optic before light, as I would need more rail space or a light that fits onto the bayonet lug...

I am not looking at clearing houses, and if someone comes into mine, I will play defense.

I checked out an optic that I liked, and posted questions on the "optic with A2 front sight" post, though I am not sure of all the terms there.

View Quote

amazon midwest industries rail for A2 front sight

I take it you have an A2 upper with a carry handle built in?  If that is the case there are options but they are hard to love.  For a light right off the back midwest industries makes a decent rail piece that can be used on your front sight post.  I have a stag gun that has a front sight and non railed fore ends and it works great with any of the pistol style lights like the surefire 300, stream light TRL or the rifle inforce WML.  

If you just mean you have an upper with a front sight base any red dot will do.  You need to break down what you want for co-witness.  In other words your height on the red dot should either be 1/3 cowitness or the red dot and sights should be on line.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I've always been of the mind to set my rifle up for what I want it to do, including caliber.

HD:  16" barrel (no pin/weld for me), 15" rail, red dot, light, sling, 40rd pmag.

Hunting:  ditch the light, swap in legal capacity mag, take the rifle with the 3x scope

Truck:  Basic AR, light, red dot (no free float rail), 40rd pmag.

If the HPA passes, the HD will be an AR pistol, 300bo, red dot, light, rail that goes over the suppressor.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:
I've always been of the mind to set my rifle up for what I want it to do, including caliber.

HD:  16" barrel (no pin/weld for me), 15" rail, red dot, light, sling, 40rd pmag.

Hunting:  ditch the light, swap in legal capacity mag, take the rifle with the 3x scope

If the HPA passes, the HD will be an AR pistol, 300bo, red dot, light, rail that goes over the suppressor.

View Quote

With how cheap free float rails are today why would you decide to build multiple ARs and have one of them using tech that has been out of date for several decades?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#14]

With how cheap free float rails are today why would you decide to build multiple ARs and have one of them using tech that has been out of date for several decades?
View All Quotes

I kind of like old school A2 type forearms

For serious use, yes, I'll take a free float, of course, no question. But for just messing around/plinking/training etc. I like the A2 type forearms. Maybe it's a nostalgic thing or maybe the simplicity of it. IDK.

Hell, anymore I'd really like 18"-20" AR's. Give me an A2 or and A4 and I'd be happy as a pig in shit.

But my primary AR is a 16" mid with a free float rail, Aimpoint, Troy BUIS, light etc...
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:

For serious use, yes, I'll take a free float, of course, no question. But for just messing around/plinking/training etc. I like the A2 type forearms. Maybe it's a nostalgic thing or maybe the simplicity of it. IDK.

Hell, anymore I'd really like 18"-20" AR's. Give me an A2 or and A4 and I'd be happy as a pig in shit.

But my primary AR is a 16" mid with a free float rail, Aimpoint, Troy BUIS, light etc...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:

I guess the point of the thread was for general purpose use.  The person I quoted was talking about a 'trunk gun' which is just a defense gun that you have with you.  For screwing around with sure its fine.  I have an A4 and a stag upper that is of the old style.  They are not accurate and I was trying to figure out if there was a good reason that he wanted that rather than just feels.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Attended an Advanced Urban Combat Course a few years ago. Weapon mounted light and 3 point sling were on the packing list. Went to war and converted my M16A2 to M4 configuration with VFG, weapon light , Aimpoint, KAC HGs. Used this combo very well in combat. Same rifle minus lower sits in my safe today.

Just built a KISS 7.62x39 AR. Pulled both out of the safe to shoot in the backyard and my first thought was, DAMN, this M4 is heavy with all this crap attached. I'm going back to basics and reintroduce myself to irons and slim CAR HGs. Probably add a light but that's it. Oh, and it seriously needs a sling.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Basic Rifle with a good trigger......

That is ALL i do.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Ambi safety, ambi mag catch, gas buster charging handle, buis, sling, light, optic. That's it.

Still need to pick up an ambi safety for one of my rifles. Don't really use the ambi mag catch, but I got a deal on a bunch of them so I put it on to keep my options open. Also I don't need an enlarged/gasbuster charging handle, but I again got a deal on them, so I use it.

The CH, safety and mag release all add negligible weight and bulk to the gun, and for what I paid for them, cost me very little. The buis also add very little weight and bulk.

I like small optics for my 5.56 guns, so it's a red dot, or prism scope.

Always have a light. For how much a surefire g2 series costs, I can't afford to not have one LOL. The way I have my m4gery set up, it does need a vfg for me to effectively use the light, so I have one on there.

Slings are the most important accessory I think. Carry strap and stabilizer. I like 2 points for general use, with some kind of QD or break away.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:07:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PGJ] [#20]
An AR (or any rifle) is not a good personal defense weapon.  A nice pistol is ideal for that.  You are probably never going to be in combat, so you don't need all the crazy "combat" attachments.  Shooting someone with a combat 5.56 is going to go straight through the bad guy...and every wall in your house and into your neighbors house.  Stick to pistols or shotguns for defense.  

Learn to shoot iron sights.  Do not even think about scopes, lasers or red dots until you master iron sights.  I mean able to hit a target consistently at 500 yards...with iron sights.  Tight groups at 300, rat holes at 100.  No custom grip, highend buttstock, whiz-bang custom barrel, uranium BCG... is going to help if you are not already a great marksman.  Master the fundamentals.  I guarantee I can take anyone's AR on this forum and within 20-30 rounds have that thing dialed in and ready for local matches.  Train, train, train.  There is not substitute.  

There's nothing wrong with having a cool looking gun.  But keep in mind, if you suck at marksmanship, guys like me with our bare-bones, cheap-ass ARs will laugh at you and your bling'd-out gun behind your back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PGJ:
An AR (or any rifle) is not a good personal defense weapon.  A nice pistol is ideal for that.  You are probably never going to be in combat, so you don't need all the crazy "combat" attachments.  Shooting someone with a combat 5.56 is going to go straight through the bad guy...and every wall in your house and into your neighbors house.  Stick to pistols or shotguns for defense.  

Learn to shoot iron sights.  Do not even think about scopes, lasers or red dots until you master iron sights.  I mean able to hit a target consistently at 500 yards...with iron sights.  Tight groups at 300, rat holes at 100.  No custom grip, highend buttstock, whiz-bang custom barrel, uranium BCG... is going to help if you are not already a great marksman.  Master the fundamentals.  I guarantee I can take anyone's AR on this forum and within 20-30 rounds have that thing dialed in and ready for local matches.  Train, train, train.  There is not substitute.  

There's nothing wrong with having a cool looking gun.  But keep in mind, if you suck at marksmanship, guys like me with our bare-bones, cheap-ass ARs will laugh at you and your bling'd-out gun behind your back.
View Quote
You haven't been on this site long, and there is sommych wrong with your post, I'll let others pick at it.  At a baseline get a better understanding of ballistics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Been through the cycle that goes like this.

1)  By a cheap AR because its all I can afford.
2)  Tapco-fuck it because its all I can afford and I've seen pictures on the interwebs about all the things I need to put on it
3)  Hate how heavy my rifle is with all this cheap Chinese crap on it
4)  Take crap off, put some name brand stuff on it because I saw it on ARFCOM
5)  Hate how heavy my rifle is with all this name brand crap on it
6)  Take a few carbine courses, realize some of the crap helps, but most is dead weight
7)  Streamline my rifle...keeping nothing more than a light on the rail, a good sling, and a stock that fits me
8)  Enjoy shooting my rifle so much I shoot it more, and realize that its pretty accurate and I should spend some $ on optics
9)  Buy a knock off aim point.  Works well but batteries last 2 weeks.  Liked the fake-point enough I decide I should save up for a real Aimpoint
10) Buy a real Aimpoint.  WORKS REALLY DAMN well and still running on the same batteries years later.
11) Decide that batteries might not last forever, and I might need some magnification, and that being able to see the reticle in low light is a good thing
12) Buy an ACOG and pay more for it than the rifle cost me in the first place
13) Realize I really like AR's and shoot them really well.
14) Start reloading because I shoot so much.
15) Shoot more because I reload so much
16) Decide to build special purpose rifles for unique applications (20" with scope for long range and varmits, 10.5" Silenced SBR, KISS truck gun, M4gery, M16A4gery, ....)
17) Decide FDE is the coolest, so replace all my furniture with FDE parts.
18) Find out the cool kids are now running UDE, so sell FDE for UDE
19) Realize that what I really should do is rattle can it and throw it down the driveway, so sell all the UDE stuff for plain black, and paint it up
20) Remember when I just had 1 AR and how much simpler, yet boring my life was, and how much extra money I had for things like food and clothes
View Quote
Nailed it I think.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PGJ:  Learn to shoot iron sights.  Do not even think about scopes, lasers or red dots until you master iron sights.  I mean able to hit a target consistently at 500 yards...with iron sights.
View Quote
I'mma just gonna quote this part, 'cuz other folks are gonna go nuts on d'other part.  Pal, I'm glad you've been blessed w/ good eyesight, but don't ever get old.  I hope you live long enough to sorely need magnification @ 500 yards, and I hope you still have the memory to recall what you said today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#25]

You haven't been on this site long, and there is sommych wrong with your post, I'll let others pick at it.  At a baseline get a better understanding of ballistics.
View Quote
Why do I need to be here a long time to know something?  I grew up with guns, spent 20 years in the Marines, always shot extremely high Expert on rifle and pistol, and am a Certified NRA Instructor and teach CCW in Florida.  I know a little.  I would not recommend a rifle for personal defense.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I'mma just gonna quote this part, 'cuz other folks are gonna go nuts on d'other part.  Pal, I'm glad you've been blessed w/ good eyesight, but don't ever get old.  I hope you live long enough to sorely need magnification @ 500 yards, and I hope you still have the memory to recall what you said today.
View Quote
I can understand the eyesight thing.  I doubt I could see well at 500 yards any more, but when I was younger I learned iron sights in the Marines and could easily hit at that distance.  My point is, too many people think some attachment is going to help when they haven't mastered the fundamentals of marksmanship.  Just like fancy shoes won't make you run faster if you are a slow runner and an expensive driver won't make you hit a ball farther if you have a wicked slice.  Master the basics.  Even in the Marines, I was amazed at how many guys simply couldn't shoot.  So, forgive the 500 yard comment...but I still stand on learning iron sights before going to a red dot or a scope.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]

I can understand the eyesight thing.  I doubt I could see well at 500 yards any more, but when I was younger I learned iron sights in the Marines and could easily hit at that distance.  My point is, too many people think some attachment is going to help when they haven't mastered the fundamentals of marksmanship.  Just like fancy shoes won't make you run faster if you are a slow runner and an expensive driver won't make you hit a ball farther if you have a wicked slice.  Master the basics.  Even in the Marines, I was amazed at how many guys simply couldn't shoot.  So, forgive the 500 yard comment...but I still stand on learning iron sights before going to a red dot or a scope.
View Quote
Marines now use ACOGs for weapons qual even at Recruit Training.

I understand your shoes analogy. I begged my Grandmother to by me Reebok Pumps in elementary school because I was convinced that they would make me jump higher.

Use of ACOGs or CCOs change how you should shoot. Unlike how jumping is the same action regardless of if you're wearing the latest and greatest shoes or some beat to death pair of shoes, aiming is very different with a RDS or ACOG compared to using irons.

I do believe knowing how to use iron sights is important, but the basics you are saying need to be mastered have changed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilverLightning] [#28]

I would not recommend a rifle for personal defense.
View Quote
Why not? I'm a much better shot with my AR15 than any pistol I own.

He used a rifle - http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/27/us/oklahoma-three-dead-home-burglary/
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Must be sooo depressing for the millions of people that have successfully used a gun without a light on it to defend themselves that it isn't possible to do so. lol

That said, if I see a guy at the range and he doesn't have a light on his SHTF gun, I'm happy about it. One never knows? who you might end up confronting in SHTF. Best possible situation would be: I'm the only guy around with a light.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#30]
As for hitting a target at 500 yards, there is a barn on the next farm over that I am pretty sure I could hit...

The light is in a rail on the bottom front of the handguard, and it seems ok.
I am not sure if I want to pull off the red dot and put on a scope, because I am having trouble learning cheek placement for a good sight picture.

I wonder why this post is not a sticky?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree with the premise of the thread. I'd just like to add some wisdom that I got from Rusted_Ace in a similar thread eons ago. He suggested that it is better to have one or two nice AR15s set up with high quality accessories than to own 17 clunker builds. And that resources after acquiring your nice carbines might be better spent on things like practice ammo, mags, suppressors, body armor, night vision, etc.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:08:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#32]

Why do I need to be here a long time to know something?  I grew up with guns, spent 20 years in the Marines, always shot extremely high Expert on rifle and pistol, and am a Certified NRA Instructor and teach CCW in Florida.  I know a little.  I would not recommend a rifle for personal defense.
View Quote
It's not so much you not being around here very long, but your understanding of ballistics is a little lacking.  Heavy projectiles (even if they're not moving that fast) tend to penetrate through intermediate barriers more easily than lighter projectiles moving relatively fast (they tend to yaw and fragment).

There has been more than enough testing that shows a lighter projectile from something like an AR15 will actually penetrate through LESS building materials (sheetrock, wall studs, etc.) than a heavier projectile fired from something like a handgun.

With that said, pretty much everything suitable for defensive purposes will penetrate through more than enough intermediate barriers to possibly harm other people inside or outside of your house, so shot placement and situational awareness is key.

If your only reason for not recommending an AR for HD is because you think overpenetration is an issue, then you should stop recommending handguns (or shotguns loaded with slugs/buck) as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:14:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vespid_Wasp] [#33]

View Quote
Sometimes something comes along that changes the game.   Insisting that people learn on irons first does nothing to guarantee an improvement in marksmanship.  We are fortunate to live in a world awash with high quality, and extremely durable optics, that offer tremendous advantages over iron sights.

We can choose to ignore that, because that's the way it used to be done and by God, that is the way we are going to do it.  Or we can adapt.

Prime example, non firearms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosbury_Flop

At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, Fosbury took the gold medal and set a new Olympic record at 2.24 meters (7 ft 4¼ in), displaying the potential of the new technique. Despite the initial sceptical reactions from the high jumping community, the "Fosbury Flop" quickly gained acceptance. In the Finals competition, only three jumpers cleared 2.20 meters (7 ft 2½ in), and Fosbury was in the lead by virtue of having cleared every height on his first attempt. At the next height, 2.22 m (7 ft 3¼ in), Fosbury again cleared the bar on his first jump. His teammate, Ed Caruthers, cleared on his second effort, while Valentin Gavrilov of the Soviet Union missed on all three attempts and earned the bronze medal (third place).[10] The bar was raised to 2.24 meters, which would be new Olympic and United States records. Fosbury missed on his first two attempts, but cleared on his third, while Caruthers missed on all three of his attempts.[11] Having won the gold medal and broken the American record, Fosbury asked the bar to be raised to 2.29 m, hoping to break Valeriy Brumel's 5-year-old world record of 2.28 m. However, none of his attempts at 2.29 m came close to clearing.[1]

Athletic legacy and the dominance of the flop[edit]
Four years later, in Munich, 28 of the 40 competitors used Fosbury's technique, although gold medalist Jüri Tarmak used the straddle technique. By 1980, 13 of the 16 Olympic finalists used it.[12] Of the 36 Olympic medalists in the event from 1972 through 2000, 34 used "the Flop".[citation needed] Today it is the most popular technique in modern high jumping.[13]
View Quote
A new way, so far superior, that everyone else was left in the dust and had to adapt to catch up.

Optics are the same.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#34]
Bad example. Once the FF was invented, no other means of competitive jumping was practical. Not so with optics. Batteries die or become unavailable. Tritium fades. Glass breaks or cracks or is otherwise obstructed. Irons don't need batteries. That alone makes them a viable alternative. Not to mention cost and (in many cases) durability advantages. Do you need to run irons first before you use a red dot? No. But the answer in gun debates is almost always "both"...and the same applies here. If you never ever learn how to use iron sights, something is wrong...if for no other reason than 'you might have to use someone else's gun to save lives...what if they only have irons on it?'
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I still have all that crap because I'm an idiot, but my opinion as a  combat veteran who now faces the realities that his high speed days are behind him.

1. lights are useless
2. lasers are toys
3. slings are stupid
4. red dots in 100% co witness are great  when joined with iron sightsto easily verify zero
5.ACOGS are awesome
7. find a charging, handel, grip, & stock you like and uniform across  your collection.
8. invest in good ammo and magazines

9. lighter is better
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Must be sooo depressing for the millions of people that have successfully used a gun without a light on it to defend themselves that it isn't possible to do so. lol

That said, if I see a guy at the range and he doesn't have a light on his SHTF gun, I'm happy about it. One never knows? who you might end up confronting in SHTF. Best possible situation would be: I'm the only guy around with a light.
View Quote
And how many wrongly ID'ed people have been killed.  

Train more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SD307:
I still have all that crap because I'm an idiot, but my opinion as a  combat veteran who now faces the realities that his high speed days are behind him.

1. lights are useless
2. lasers are toys
3. slings are stupid
4. red dots in 100% co witness are great  when joined with iron sightsto easily verify zero
5.ACOGS are awesome
7. find a charging, handel, grip, & stock you like and uniform across  your collection.

9. lighter is better
View Quote
2.  NODs
4.  Ok
5.  Meh...there are better options
7.  Ok
8.  Yes
9.  Balance is king.  Lighter can be good.  Back or front heavy is bad even if lighter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:And how many wrongly ID'ed people have been killed.  

Train more.
View Quote
probably a lot less than have been killed by crappy aim. Accidental-because-I-couldn't-see-the-guy-because-I-didn't-have-a-light kills are actually pretty rare. I agree on training though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jblomenberg16:
Been through the cycle that goes like this.

1)  By a cheap AR because its all I can afford.
2)  Tapco-fuck it because its all I can afford and I've seen pictures on the interwebs about all the things I need to put on it
3)  Hate how heavy my rifle is with all this cheap Chinese crap on it
4)  Take crap off, put some name brand stuff on it because I saw it on ARFCOM
5)  Hate how heavy my rifle is with all this name brand crap on it
6)  Take a few carbine courses, realize some of the crap helps, but most is dead weight
7)  Streamline my rifle...keeping nothing more than a light on the rail, a good sling, and a stock that fits me
8)  Enjoy shooting my rifle so much I shoot it more, and realize that its pretty accurate and I should spend some $ on optics
9)  Buy a knock off aim point.  Works well but batteries last 2 weeks.  Liked the fake-point enough I decide I should save up for a real Aimpoint
10) Buy a real Aimpoint.  WORKS REALLY DAMN well and still running on the same batteries years later.
11) Decide that batteries might not last forever, and I might need some magnification, and that being able to see the reticle in low light is a good thing
12) Buy an ACOG and pay more for it than the rifle cost me in the first place
13) Realize I really like AR's and shoot them really well.
14) Start reloading because I shoot so much.
15) Shoot more because I reload so much
16) Decide to build special purpose rifles for unique applications (20" with scope for long range and varmits, 10.5" Silenced SBR, KISS truck gun, M4gery, M16A4gery, ....)
17) Decide FDE is the coolest, so replace all my furniture with FDE parts.
18) Find out the cool kids are now running UDE, so sell FDE for UDE
19) Realize that what I really should do is rattle can it and throw it down the driveway, so sell all the UDE stuff for plain black, and paint it up
20) Remember when I just had 1 AR and how much simpler, yet boring my life was, and how much extra money I had for things like food and clothes
View Quote
Fucking preach, spot on right here
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

What are you going to do when you need to drag your best friend out of the fire zone?
LEO's know they need to if they're going to hand cuff someone, assuming they are stuck w/o back up or both officers have long guns and the suspect needs to be hand cuffed.

Lots of situations will crop up where a sling will be important.
View Quote
How about what are you going to do , on your mini farm when you walk to the goats, or chickens, but have stuff in both hands, AND KNOW THERE coyotes, coins , and bobcats  just waiting to take chickens And what not...

Wait, drop the stuff in hand, sprint to the house, grab rifle, sprint back...well at least got some cardio in...walk back to house...

OR

Get a sling...
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I get sights being #1 with so many ARs coming without sights.  

BUT, I was always taught that a sling is an absolute necessity on a long arm...... hhhmmm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#42]
View All Quotes

You were in the Marine Corps for 20 years. Would it surprise you that the Marine Corps now disagrees with your assessment on learning irons?

Bravo Company recruits were issued the AN/PVQ-31 RCOs for the M16-A4 rifle June 15 as part of a study by the Marine Corps Operational Test and Evaluation Activity . . .

The initial basic marksmanship qualification rate was 9 percent higher than the 10-year average at Parris Island, Corns said . . .

Corns said Bravo Company also had a 55 percent expert rate, which is unheard of at recruit training

With the RCOs, recruits have to focus more on the fundamentals of marksmanship than they did with the iron sights,” Kurre said.

Corns said the reason for this is because looking into a four-power optic magnifies every mistake.

“You have to be more fundamentally sound with the optics than the iron sights,” Corns continued. “It’s not point of aim, point of impact.”

Some people are saying “recruits aren’t going to understand it,” Kurre said. “No, they got it.”

With today’s video games and fast-moving technology, these recruits adapt quicker to the RCO, Kurre added.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I feel like this totally depends on your intended use. For example if I want a home defense/it does it all good gun; you can find the fulcrum there, but you can't have a gun that's amazing at 700 yards ringing steel and super fast and accurate enough at 0-15 yards. If you wanna go off road get a jeep. If you wanna go 0-120 in 5.3 seconds get a bugatti.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh. All preference. If your $500 "junker" or $400 bargain build works and shoots straight, it's not a junker. With some diligent work, some careful selection can still net a great working gun. Everything else is preference. The shooter is always the limitation. The high end wiz bang rifle will not make a better shooter.

My only annoyance is people with rifles that've had Amazon and eBay airsoft junk blow up all over them. That's distasteful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#46]

1. lights are useless
2. lasers are toys
3. slings are stupid
5.ACOGS are awesome

9. lighter is better
View Quote
Excellent list!. I just use a sling and a red dot optic (preferably Aimponts) on my AR's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Shortbuss:

Fucking preach, spot on right here
View Quote
The post you quoted is one of the best reads I've come across on this forum. It probably holds true for more members here than they'd like to admit. It certainly holds true for my search for the "holy grail" of AR's. I eventually came to the understanding that you need multiple rifles to achieve all the properties I was seeking in an AR (precision, home defense, plinking/range toy).

I currently own ten AR rifles. Four of them are set up for HD/SHTF scenarios with RDS, WML, slings, etc.. One is a benchrest rifle only (24" varmint barrel, Magpul PRS stock and Vortex 6-24x scope), one is a 18" barrel SPR-type rifle with a Vortex 4-16x scope, another is a RRA Operator II set up for hog hunting with a Leupold VR Patrol 1-5x scope and yet another is an A2 stocked 16" stainless mid-length with Leupold AR 1-4x scope I built to just have and play with a stainless steel barrel. I also have a S&W M&P-22 for fun and for the grandkids to have fun with. The last is just a lower build for a 16" PTAC upper I was given. It does however have an EOTec and a WML mounted on it. Did I mention that I also have a 10.5" pistol build w/RDS?

So....I think I've got most of the bases covered, at least for MY uses. IF a person just wants ONE AR rifle, it's going to be regulated to doing only one or two things with any proficiency. If one can afford it, two or more rifles will cover a lot more situations.

I apologize for the usage of so many acronyms.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Liv_C:
Excellent list!. I just use a sling and a red dot optic (preferably Aimponts) on my AR's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Liv_C:

1. lights are useless
2. lasers are toys
3. slings are stupid
5.ACOGS are awesome

9. lighter is better
I would like to respectfully disagree on your rating of that list.

1.  Lights are useless during the day.  It is night often and general purpose rifle should have the capacity to identify the difference between friendly or foe in a dark area.  The light on your rifle can very easily mean the difference between whether you do or do not shoot.  It could mean the difference in whether or not you are in jail.  This post was about the necessity of various items in the real world.   Lights are absolutely not worthless and rate very high on most intelligent peoples lists.

3.  Humans move about on our legs and we carry shit with our hands.  A sling is a rifle holster.  It isn't really all that important until you need your hands.  In that fateful moment you do need to use your rifle what follows?  Are you hurt?  Is someone else hurt?  Chances are you are gonna need those hands to carry or care for someone.  At that point do you throw your rifle and prioritize the injured person?  Do you tell the person that is injured that you can't assist them because you have to hold onto your rifle?  Rifle slings rarely get into the way and there are a dozen ways to stow them away during times of non-use.

7.  I only agree on the charging handle portion of this because of the motor control aspect.  It makes perfect sense to purchase safeties that match so that the operation is uniform and becomes an easily felt task.  The same could be said for most ambidextrous controls but most importantly your charging handle.  This is especially true for you because you don't have a flashlight because you determined that lighter is better and are now fumbling around in the dark with a rifle in your hands because you failed to utilize a sling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PGJ:  Learn to shoot iron sights.  Do not even think about scopes, lasers or red dots until you master iron sights.  I mean able to hit a target consistently at 500 yards...with iron sights.
View Quote
View Quote
People should be taught the fundamentals with irons starting out when their vision is good, should be a given. It carries over to literally everything else you'll shoot and every sighting system.

Obviously if you can't see squat past a FSP, ye have other options.

The post about qual scores being up on first attempts with optics is pretty obvious. There's no point in having back up sights if one is not proficient in their use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
A 5.56 carbine has been established  for decades as the best tool for the job.

A pistol is literally the worst choice unless it's all one can carry.

There's no such thing as a "combat" 5.56 unless that particular rifle was used in combat.

That's all pretty Fudd.

Anything suitable for defense goes through building materials. It's been quite proven that small caliber, high velocity rounds penetrate less in such materials than common shotgun and handgun defensive loads.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top