Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 3:22:10 AM EDT
Hey everyone,

I've been doing research the past few days in anticipation of getting my first rifle. After visiting my local gunshops and knowledgeable friends, I've narrowed down my search to the aforementioned DD Mk12 (https://danieldefense.com/firearms/rifle-length/daniel-defense-mk12.html) and DD M4V9 (https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v9.html). I don't plan on getting another AR-15 anytime soon, so it would be excellent if y'all could help me pick a good all-rounder (home defense, range, occasional hunting). I was leaning towards the Mk12 but after looking at the street price differential (~$300-$400) and debating my concerns, I'm wondering if any of the M4Vs would be a better (and more economical) alternative.

First, is the 18" too long for home defense CQB? I've heard mixed reports from different reps at the same range. Some say yeah, we went into Iraq with 20"s. Others say 16" no question.
Second, is the extra performance as a SPR from the Giessele SSA 2-stage, 18" steel, other Mk12-specific goodies actually noticeable vs. stock Daniel Defense stuff? (mainly chrom-moly 16" is what I'm concerned about, DD stock trigger can always be replaced)
Third, is the extra stuff worth the price point on the Mk-12? Or would y'all recommend going for the M4V9 assuming the performance gain is negligible and the extra money could be spent towards good optics/accessories.

Thanks so much.

Bonus question. Tornado worth the extra money? I like the way it looks, but gives me a slightly gimmicky feel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Both those rifles have a midlength gas system which would be what I would want...

I don't think anyone went to Iraq with a 16" rifle....think a real M4 is 14.5" (sbr in civilian world). A Mk12 was built for accuracy at greater distances which is where the 18" stainless barrel came from. I really can't give you direction on which one to get. I have a 16" recce build. It is a PSA upper with a Midwest rail over a stainless 1:8 barrel. It had some build issues and I'm waiting on it to come back from PSA but I'm hoping for some real accuracy when I get it back. Besides glass, the only thing I've added to it is a $75 2 stage trigger. All totaled, it costs less than half even the M4 you list there.

Either one of those can be extremely accurate even with the CL barrel on the M4. If you get the M4 do you plan on spending the money to mod it and is it going to cost the extra $300 for the mods you want?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I was only going to really change out the trigger if I don't like it, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was only going to really change out the trigger if I don't like it, but that's about it.
View Quote

The extra $300 would go a long way towards glass and a replacement trigger for the M4. That being said, I like the looks of the mk12 over the M4.

And as far as your performance question, how well do you shoot? If both rifles can outshoot you then it really doesn't matter what you choose.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Between the two you listed, the DD M4V9.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the DD site the MK12 has a Rifle length gas system not a mid.  For what that's worth....
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top