Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2014 5:46:53 PM EDT
Simple question here can you adjust for elevation with an a2 carry handle?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you adjust for elevation with the front site post.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Simple question here can you adjust for elevation with an a2 carry handle?
View Quote

The A2 rear sight is adjustable from 300 to 800 Meters.

They have additional play to allow you to get a 100 Meter or 200 Meter Zero.

You do your initial adjustments with the front sight with the rear zero setting you want.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you this is exactly what i wanted to know
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
The A2 handle has a rear sight that is fully click adjustable for windage and elevation.

The usual method of sighting it in is to set the rear sight on the lowest setting which is 300 meters.
Always use the small aperture, the large aperture is for shooting in bad light or at close range, fast moving targets.

Set up a target at 25 meters which is 27.3 yards.  Be as accurate as possible in target placement.
Make all elevation adjustments with the front sight.  leave the rear set on 300 meters.
Sight in dead on at 25 meters so you're aiming at the dead center of the target and the bullets are hitting dead center.

The rifle should now be sighted in for any range from 300 meters to 800 meters.
If possible, check the sight at 300 meters to insure the setting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
One minor point of clarification to all the excellent wisdom above:

A2 carry handles that are attached to flat top upper receivers are elevation adjustable from 300-600 meters.

Native A2 upper receivers are elevation adjustable for 300-800 meters due to being able to accommodate a longer elevation screw.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
this is all awesome thank you guys for the information. another question i have now is have any of you used the Picatinny rail mount on top of you a2 carry handle? if so can you still use the iron sights or does the mount get in the way?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
this is all awesome thank you guys for the information. another question i have now is have any of you used the Picatinny rail mount on top of you a2 carry handle? if so can you still use the iron sights or does the mount get in the way?
View Quote

Yes, they have a see thru hole in the mount. It does make the optic a bit high and though off the balance of the rifle, but it can work.

I like the Smith Enterprises mount, but others work too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One minor point of clarification to all the excellent wisdom above:

A2 carry handles that are attached to flat top upper receivers are elevation adjustable from 300-600 meters.

Native A2 upper receivers are elevation adjustable for 300-800 meters due to being able to accommodate a longer elevation screw.

View Quote

My bad, just didn't remember to actually look at my carry handle.  I'm running a red dot now.
My Colt M4 has a 300 to 600 meter sight.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, they have a see thru hole in the mount. It does make the optic a bit high and though off the balance of the rifle, but it can work.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some mounts have a channel cut in the rail to allow see through sighting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The usual method of sighting it in is to set the rear sight on the lowest setting which is 300 meters.

View Quote

Incorrect (unless you are using a 14.5" barrel). Otherwise, when obtaining a 300 meter zero, at the field expedient distance of 25 meters, the elevation wheel is set two clicks higher than the 6/3 setting on the carry-handle rear sight.  That's what the little "z" marking (for "zero") is for on the elevation wheel.  Once the zeroing process is completed, the elevation wheel is returned to the 6/3 setting.

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top