BRN-180 Review (Page 10 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rokrigjay] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By conda:
I'm really happy with how my brn turned out. I think the lower completes the look.

https://i.imgur.com/1P79Dpb.jpg
View Quote

Looks great! This is almost identical to the one I'm building, except with the 18.5" upper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNC] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 180S that I've put about a thousand rounds through with a Laure trigger and haven't had any light strike issues. I had some issues with running lighter 223 rounds through it while suppressed but nothing else so far.

At this point it's my favorite rifle to shoot. I've bought a 516 upper and a Bren 2 recently and still prefer my BRN180S to them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MisterTwo:
I have a 180S that I've put about a thousand rounds through with a Laure trigger and haven't had any light strike issues. I had some issues with running lighter 223 rounds through it while suppressed but nothing else so far.

At this point it's my favorite rifle to shoot. I've bought a 516 upper and a Bren 2 recently and still prefer my BRN180S to them.
View Quote

I have the same setup with the Larue trigger. Works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding from the @PWS_Marketing website was that that BRN-180/180s was exclusive to @Brownells so how was Elk County able to get ahold of some?

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/brn-180s/
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 2:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Pistol beginner builder question:
What braces are folks with the 180s and a standard AR lower using, and what kind of adapters do you need to get the brace mated to the lower receiver's thread?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:03:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#11]
Originally Posted By cheld:
Pistol beginner builder question:
What braces are folks with the 180s and a standard AR lower using, and what kind of adapters do you need to get the brace mated to the lower receiver's thread?
View Quote

I’m planning on using a KNS pic adapter to mount my jmac AB-8R and tailhook mod 1c. It’s going to be folding to the left side with a sig folding mechanism (like an mcx. Fight me with my poor man’s MCX).

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Removed_californian:

I’m planning on using a KNS pic adapter to mount my jmac AB-8R and tailhook mod 1c. It’s going to be folding to the left side with a sig folding mechanism (like an mcx. Fight me with my poor man’s MCX).

https://i.imgur.com/QXTQYrN.jpg
View Quote

BRN180 is hardly a poor man's MCX. After all the parts, it's probably the same if not more.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#13]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

BRN180 is hardly a poor man's MCX. After all the parts, it's probably the same if not more.
View Quote

Considering that the base mcx is 2k at the moment, even after parts I’m around the 1500 mark for a base rifle. Closer to 2 after optic, irons, and suppressor mount.

I’d have loved a Virtus pistol, but it’s cost prohibitive for what I’m wanting to do.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

I have both and an MPX. THE BRN180 is about the same cost as an MCX was a few years ago. Hard to compare in this market. I bought the BRN 180 upper last summer then the lower which came in February. Still need to assemble the lower. I won't say the MCX and BRN180 are the same quality as I don't shoot enough to prove much of anything. I can say that the MCX has proven to not be very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rbarry3715:

I have both and an MPX. THE BRN180 is about the same cost as an MCX was a few years ago. Hard to compare in this market. I bought the BRN 180 upper last summer then the lower which came in February. Still need to assemble the lower. I won't say the MCX and BRN180 are the same quality as I don't shoot enough to prove much of anything. I can say that the MCX has proven to not be very accurate.
View Quote

Yeah man I got myself a Canebrake that I converted to 5m56 a couple years back and then last year I got a brn180 gen 2 when it first came out.

My MCX Rattler canebrake on 5.56 is extremely accurate for the 5.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#17]

Range report to follow soonTM.

On the topic, burnproof handguard wrap recommended or is there another brand you guys suggest?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#18]
https://i.imgur.com/MNhDalz.jpg

On the topic, burnproof handguard wrap recommended or is there another brand you guys suggest?
View Quote

My go to, they have slim and standard rail sizes

https://wisemencompany.com/hotpocket-rail-wrap-slim-standard-w-m-lok/
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 58Teague:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 58Teague:
https://i.imgur.com/MNhDalz.jpg

I’ve been waiting for those to get back in stock for a while for my BRN-180.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MacShauleyShaulkin] [#20]
Any of yall running the suppressed setting?

I have an old gen 1 OSS suppressor on my 10.5 that is a relatively loud boat anchor. Looking to replace it with a lighter suppressor and really eying the Rex Silentium MG7k .224. to shave weight, length, and cost versus a newer OSS 556 ti.

As a lefty, I'm quite concerned about gas to the face. With no changeable parts to the operating system to tune the bolt unlock time, I'd have to rely solely on the suppressed setting of the gas block. Right now with the OSS it won't cycle on the suppressed setting (understandable).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I've run my BRN180S almost exclusively suppressed from the start. It runs great with both my Silencerco Omega or YHM Turbo K on the suppressed setting. I rarely notice any gas to the face. My only issue is that it will only run reliably with 5.56. 223 causes it to short stroke.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I've run my BRN180S almost exclusively suppressed from the start. It runs great with both my Silencerco Omega or YHM Turbo K on the suppressed setting. I rarely notice any gas to the face. My only issue is that it will only run reliably with 5.56. 223 causes it to short stroke.
View Quote

Is that with or without the supressor?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterTwo] [#23]

Is that with or without the supressor?
View Quote

With a suppressor on the suppressed setting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:54:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#24]

With a suppressor on the suppressed setting.
View Quote

I had the exact same issue today.  Would not cycle in the suppressed setting with my form 1 suppressor on it. I mean that’s fine and all Bc I can just use the unsuppressed setting, but it was definitely a little surprising. This was with imi 855 too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#25]

I had the exact same issue today.  Would not cycle in the suppressed setting with my form 1 suppressor on it. I mean that’s fine and all Bc I can just use the unsuppressed setting, but it was definitely a little surprising. This was with imi 855 too.
View Quote

It's bit concerning with it happening with m855. I will say my upper took a little while to break in before some of the issues cleared up. My short stroking happened with Geco 223 FYI.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:41:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Removed_californian] [#26]

It's bit concerning with it happening with m855. I will say my upper took a little while to break in before some of the issues clear ed up. My short stroking happened with Geco 223 FYI.
View Quote

My form 1 suppressor is 6.5” and bored to 30 cal, so maybe it just has less back pressure?

Either way I was super surprised when the gun wouldn’t cycle with the suppressor.  Unsuppressed setting and it ran like a charm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#27]

My form 1 suppressor is 6.5” and bored to 30 cal, so maybe it just has less back pressure?

Either way I was super surprised when the gun wouldn’t cycle with the suppressor.  Unsuppressed setting and it ran like a charm.
View Quote

The can is the issue, not enough back pressure for the unsuppressed setting
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Leonitus:

The can is the issue, not enough back pressure for the unsuppressed setting
View Quote

Well I figured as much when it wouldn’t run in the suppressed setting but worked fine in the unsuppressed setting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 4:50:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Moldymuffin] [#29]
Posting here since this looks like the largest BRN-180 discussion and since the lower is of limited compatibility with uppers assume most of those interested in it will be 180 upper owners.

Got a BRN-180M lower (and upper). Selector detent hole on the lower was drilled off-center resulting in a very difficult to operate selector. Brownells gunsmiths confirmed that it is out-of-spec, replacement was offered. Never considered what happens if an FFL item is manufactured out-of-spec with regards to transfer fees, just thought whoever made it would stand by their product and make it right so that the customer that catches a hot potato doesn't end up paying more than if they hadn't received a manufacturing defect. They eventually offered to gift-card reimburse a portion of the fees but stopped short by a mere $37.19. A bit dispirited by the whole ordeal.

So unless your local establishment has them in-stock to verify fitment of everything then it's something to consider if your state sucks with fees. End up paying twice.

Link Posted: 6/15/2021 5:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Is that if the replacement is the same serial number though, because the replacement in this case would be a different number, and crapifornia.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:39:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#32]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I’d have done the trade even if I had to deal with the fees (I had a similar problem years ago with RRA and they shipped a whole new lower directly to my house with zero problems). In the grand scheme of things, when it comes to firearms, esp in CA, transfer fees aren’t even on the radar of things that would bother me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]
You all are right, I suppose I'm making too big a deal over it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 1:35:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like the BRN180 bolt is a PWS 5.56 bolt w/ their bolt spring, which theoretically make any milspec bolt work in this, in addition to a milspec firing pin and retaining pin
View Quote

I'm not so sure about that.  I went to slide my upper onto my Geissele AR-15 reaction rod to do some work, the splines wouldn't go into the barrel extension.  something seemed dimensionally different.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
No, the BRN-180 bolt is not an AR15 compatible part.

Nor is it compatible with the Original AR-180/AR-180B style bolts. It is it's own length/design.

Dean just did some sweet engineering to make it fit in an AR length platform.
View Quote

@mike_nds

thanks for the confirmation, thought maybe i had a case of chronic misalignment and fumble-fingers at that time.  glad I left it at that and didn't "try harder".
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 9:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jake-cutter] [#39]
So trying to mount a Dead air muzzle brake on the 300 blk so I can use my Sandman. The jamb nut is all the way back and tight but when I time the muzzle brake and tighten, it moves a little throwing everything off. Do I tighten the jamb nut against the muzzle brake after timing like the original flash hider?

Also, are there replacement jamb nuts available as I do not see them on the site?
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:
So trying to mount a Dead air muzzle brake on the 300 blk so I can use my Sandman. The jamb nut is all the way back and tight but when I time the muzzle brake and tighten, it moves a little throwing everything off. Do I tighten the jamb nut against the muzzle brake after timing like the original flash hider?

Also, are there replacement jamb nuts available as I do not see them on the site?
View Quote

The way jam nuts are normally used is to position the item as desired and then tighten the jam nut against it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 4:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#41]
Originally Posted By HWI:

The way jam nuts are normally used is to position the item as desired and then tighten the jam nut against it.
View Quote

I've never heard of jam nuts to timed like that. I've always put the jam nut all the way back until it stops and then thread the muzzle device on and time the muzzle device and then bring the jam nut forward

I ended up using the KBA Tavor SAR shoulder muzzle ring and then a precision armament accu-washer instead of the jam nut.  I actually ended up using this for not just the BRN180 but the Tavor x95 as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#42]
I've never heard of jam nuts to timed like that. I've always put the jam nut all the way back until it stops and then thread the muzzle device on and time the muzzle device and then bring the jam nut forward
View Quote

We are saying the same thing, I just left out putting the jam nut on first because I thought it goes without saying.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Is this alright? Was cleaning and noticed the ends of the spring on the piston are a bit smashed/distorted.

Only put 120 rounds through this upper as that's all I can afford right now

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Moldymuffin:
Is this alright? Was cleaning and noticed the ends of the spring on the piston are a bit smashed/distorted.

Only put 120 rounds through this upper as that's all I can afford right now

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51358983385_7162523be4_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51358702464_48cda2f094_c.jpg
View Quote

Non issue. Literally the only real use for the spring is to return the rod which reduces the amount of wear on the rod and the carrier where they interact.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Have a BRN180 lower enroute.  Mulling over what upper to order.  

Is there a consensus on which one provides the best accuracy?

10in
16in
18in
?
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Just purchased the 10.5 with HK sight combo.  Off to find the right stock, ummm brace solution…..
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I came on ARF today looking to make a post on my new BRN-180 gen 2 in 10.5"  I do not post too much (relatively speaking) but it was worth my time to come on here and say that the BRN I just received over the weekend is the smoothest "AR style" rifle I have ever handled.  I mean the literal smoothness of the action, hell you can feel it the moment you start to pull back on the charging handle.

very pleasantly surprised ....
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#48]
So I’ve been hunting parts to complete my build.  I really wanted a TF-1913 folding brace.

With all of the possible rulings on these in the near future they are nearly impossible to find at a decent price.  In fact the Gunbroker order I placed said in stock and magically nearly all listings disappeared right after I got an OOS notification and auto cancellation of my order.

To my surprise I decided to check PSA and low and behold they have the SB tactical TF-1913 in stock under their brand for their AK line.  

Not sure how long they will last but maybe it helps someone else out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 8:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Evil_Ed] [#49]
Originally Posted By Knoxp9090:
Just purchased the 10.5 with HK sight combo.  Off to find the right stock, ummm brace solution…..
View Quote

Wait - does the BRN-180 have a higher sight line, like the HK 416/MR556 and etc?? I happen to have a set of take-off HK416 fixed sights that I've been dying to find a home for...if they'll fit on this thing and be the correct height, then AWESOME!

Of course then I'll have to find a shorter mount for the cheap red dot I've got on it, but I can burn that bridge when I get there

Edit - holy crap, it works!! The sight line is just the right height for these things...finally, I can use them

And they even lower-1/3rd co-witness with the cheap Sig red dot I threw on it as a placeholder for an Aimpoint PRO or something (later, when I have the money to spare). Awesome!

Now to find the time and ammo to take this thing to the range and wring it out

Before sights:

After (and new muzzle device) :

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Mine is done, just need to swap muzzle device for SilencerCo flash hider.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 10 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top