User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 1 of 13)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 5/10/2019 5:03:36 PM EDT
The short and sweet of it is I am very happy with it, it looks to be 1 MOA capable (it was 1.5-2 MOA with bulk fmj), light recoil, light weight, massive hard on.

Through sighting it in and playing around with it today it went through 120rds flawlessly. Fit and finish is great as I expect from PWS. It’s not all sunshine and daisies however, there’s a steel insert where the cam pin rests in the receiver. This itself isn’t an issue but they’ve used a screw to hold it in place and covered the head in a rubber knob. Looks funny and bothers me a bit, I am going to ask Brownells if the rubber bit can be removed. The whole reciprocating handle is a bummer but doesn’t seem to get in the way and there’s no adjustable gas block but they did include a suppressed piston sleeve that has some additional venting drilled in. I removed the funky flash hider and replaced it with an FSC556 brake/hider.

I plan on having a recoil test against two other rifles, my PWS MK116 and a borrowed basic bitch mid length DI. I was thinking I’d run 10rds into a target at around 25yds as quickly as possible on a timer. I’d then compare group size and speed, if anyone has some suggestions on bettering this test lmk. So far it has a reciprocating weight advantage of 5.1oz against the DI and 7.2oz against the PWS, of course this doesn’t tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 5:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pogmothoin] [#1]
don't 10 in pistol have adj gas block?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I’m currently trying to get one of those gas blocks
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
pix?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
What is actual weight of that upper?

Can you be more specific on the recoil differences?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
4.6lbs weight for the upper
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice 👍
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 10:56:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LettersFromEarth:
Very nice 👍
View Quote
Not yet.

Ditch the buffer tube and put a side folder on it then it will be very nice.

Mine comes Mon/Tues. MCX folder and KNS adapter ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BRN-180:
Not yet.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LettersFromEarth:
Very nice 👍
Not yet.

My first thought too, but after looking at it awhile, looks pretty good with the tube.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine are on the way, went with the sig stock that adapts a buffer tube for stock selection
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Sweet. Post pics when you get it set up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 4:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#12]
Originally Posted By Dusted:
The short and sweet of it is I am very happy with it, it looks to be 1 MOA capable (it was 1.5-2 MOA with bulk fmj), light recoil, light weight, massive hard on.

Through sighting it in and playing around with it today it went through 120rds flawlessly. Fit and finish is great as I expect from PWS. It’s not all sunshine and daisies however, there’s a steel insert where the cam pin rests in the receiver. This itself isn’t an issue but they’ve used a screw to hold it in place and covered the head in a rubber knob. Looks funny and bothers me a bit, I am going to ask Brownells if the rubber bit can be removed. The whole reciprocating handle is a bummer but doesn’t seem to get in the way and there’s no adjustable gas block but they did include a suppressed piston sleeve that has some additional venting drilled in. I removed the funky flash hider and replaced it with an FSC556 brake/hider.

I plan on having a recoil test against two other rifles, my PWS MK116 and a borrowed basic bitch mid length DI. I was thinking I’d run 10rds into a target at around 25yds as quickly as possible on a timer. I’d then compare group size and speed, if anyone has some suggestions on bettering this test lmk. So far it has a reciprocating weight advantage of 5.1oz against the DI and 7.2oz against the PWS, of course this doesn’t tell the whole story.
View Quote
You are complaining about the rubber knob?

Dude think about it. Why is it there? Could it be because this is a side folder and doesn't use a stupid buffer tube and the rubber could be a added feature to stop the side folder hitting the receiver?????
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#13]
Owners be advised..........

The dust cover could, not pop open when firing resulting in the charging handle hitting the plastic cover hard.

The cause could be design of dust cover or a strong engagement of the plunger on the dust cover.

Before you fire with the dust cover closed, hand cycle the cover open and closed many, many times.

This seems to polish the surface where the plunger meets the port and improves the opening action of the cover.

I'm not the only one that observed this (handle hitting dust cover). It has been reviewed as an issue.

I haven't fired mine yet but confirmed the issue with hand cycles.  After many cycles it gets better and better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I know why they added the rubber, I’m not a fan.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:21:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Recoil Testing

https://youtu.be/S604Bvj96dU
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#16]
And no it won’t run at all with the suppressed cup unsuppressed lol. It doesn’t move far enough back to eject the fired case wether it’s 223 or 556 pressure
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]
And here it is after a long wait.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks good man, how do you like that style of stock?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#19]
Looks good man, how do you like that style of stock?
View Quote
So far I like it.

It locks open and closed solid. I mean SOLID to an extreme.

Length of pull is short but you can add extensions (riser) to increase it up to 1 inch.

I am searching now for a slip on butt pad. One would be nice since the butt is very thin.

I really like my choice of a PWS lower. It is perfect and neat.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#20]
They are excellent lowers, I’m going to pick up my mod 2 ambi lower today
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#21]
Finally got my folder set up

Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:49:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#22]
Excitement seems to be lower on the BRN-180 after the initial push.

Not for me.

It fact, FOR ME, the standard AR will be obsolete. For me the BRN-180 is superior.

There is nothing in the AR market that would ever get me to buy another one. I have a few and have lost most interest.

I am waiting now for a BRN-180 in 7.62X39.

People looking at a MCX carbine for something different should look at the BRN-180 first.

The BRN-180 is less expensive, less complicated and a better design.

I am hoping for some high profile reviews to come out soon. Nutnfancy, Mrgunsngear etc.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:30:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: comradesabot] [#23]
In Range has a new review up: https://youtu.be/wAHaF1jPxSc

I'm very interested and even have a spare lower waiting for something.

I've always wanted a 180 type gun, but held off for the cost as a shooter of the Stoner or Daewoo with lack of spares and whatnot.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#24]

Not for me.
It fact, FOR ME, the standard AR will be obsolete. For me the BRN-180 is superior.
There is nothing in the AR market that would ever get me to buy another one. I have a few and have lost most interest.
People looking at a MCX carbine for something different should look at the BRN-180 first.
I am hoping for some high profile reviews to come out soon. Nutnfancy, Mrgunsngear etc.
View Quote
I can't imagine why you might say that...
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#25]
The 10.5" is going to be where I take the plunge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Not for me.

View Quote
7.62x39 in 14.5" would get an immediate knee-jerk "buy-it-right-now" reaction from me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Not for me.

View Quote
AR15 is obsolete compared to 180?  Based on what?
It’s better then the MCX and a better design?  Explain.. If you were going to spray diarrhea at least be able to clean it with an explanation
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#28]
IMO

vs DI
Less reciprocating mass than a DI by 5.1oz (H2)
Piston vs DI points

vs MCX
The rails don’t break apart lol
Standard AR lower
Cheaper
Lighter
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#29]
IMO

vs DI
Piston vs DI points

vs MCX
Standard AR lower
Cheaper
Lighter
View Quote
Less reciprocating mass doesn’t mean much.  I have an AR180 and it’s a pretty cheap rifle. Stamped and sheet metal.

AR180’s have very cheap stocks that break often. Thin barrel. Cheap sheet metal upper and lower.

MCX is heavier because it is built with a heavier barrel and is more heavy duty.  I haven’t seen any broken rails.  Virtus has a good trigger.  MCX is used around the world. AR180 was really only use in any numbers by the IRA.  Don’t let your bias get in the way.  I love the 180 but not enough to where I justify it by saying it’s better then a weapon that outperformed in in the late 60’s and 70’s
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Alexbrooks:
Less reciprocating mass doesn’t mean much.  I have an AR180 and it’s a pretty cheap rifle. Stamped and sheet metal.

AR180’s have very cheap stocks that break often. Thin barrel. Cheap sheet metal upper and lower.

MCX is heavier because it is built with a heavier barrel and is more heavy duty.  I haven’t seen any broken rails.  Virtus has a good trigger.  MCX is used around the world. AR180 was really only use in any numbers by the IRA.  Don’t let your bias get in the way.  I love the 180 but not enough to where I justify it by saying it’s better then a weapon that outperformed in in the late 60’s and 70’s
View All Quotes
IMO

vs DI
Piston vs DI points

vs MCX
Standard AR lower
Cheaper
Lighter

MCX can also be utilized with a standard AR lower, albeit with a conversion adapter on the receiver extension threads. Most would want to use one anyway, even for the BRN180 as it yields the benefit of a folding stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Too funny!

We are talking about the BRN-180 not AR-180. Did you catch that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I’m not saying the MCX is a bad rifle, it did have to recall the guide rod assembly as they would break apart during firing. The BRN-180 has the weight and price advantage, I can’t speak to durability yet but it is built plenty strong
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I’m not saying the MCX is a bad rifle, it did have to recall the guide rod assembly as they would break apart during firing. The BRN-180 has the weight and price advantage, I can’t speak to durability yet but it is built plenty strong
View Quote
What? The only recall I've heard was for the 300BLK models being able to discharge unintendedly with one subset of 300BLK ammo. I've not heard of the assembly breaking while firing.

As to your weight complaint, compare the BRN180 setup to an equivalent MCX legacy setup. They will more than likely be close.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#34]
How is the AR15 obsolete compared to the BRN180?  You never explained that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 6:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#35]
View Quote
First note that I stated obsolete FOR ME.

FOR ME..........

No buffer tube.
Side folding.
Piston.
Cleaner than AR-15.
Smoother operating system.
Standard AR lower and all that.

I prefer it over all my ARs. I can't see myself buying another AR. I will though be buying more variants of the BRN-180.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

What? The only recall I've heard was for the 300BLK models being able to discharge unintendedly with one subset of 300BLK ammo. I've not heard of the assembly breaking while firing.

As to your weight complaint, compare the BRN180 setup to an equivalent MCX legacy setup. They will more than likely be close.
View Quote
Same recall 2 different issues with the original carrier

“The GEN 2 is upgraded with a pin to keep accidental discharges from occurring. But more IMPORTANTLY is the spring plate is pinned. There has been some instances where that plate has becomes dislodged while under recoil…locking up the rifle. Bad.”  http://john1911.com/sig-mcx-recoil-replacement-mandatory/
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#37]
As far as weight goes I’ll have to take your word for it as I can’t find any upper weights listed for the MCX legacy or virtus
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#38]

“The GEN 2 is upgraded with a pin to keep accidental discharges from occurring. But more IMPORTANTLY is the spring plate is pinned. There has been some instances where that plate has becomes dislodged while under recoil…locking up the rifle. Bad.”  http://john1911.com/sig-mcx-recoil-replacement-mandatory/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Thanks for the article link, learn something new everyday. I would still lean towards stating "could possibly" over "would" as per the article it was a rather rare occurrence. That's semantics though.

I'd be genuinely curious to try a side by side comparison of the BRN 180 system to the MCX. I find the manual of arms control to still be superior on the MCX as it won't have the reciprocating charging handle and will instead mirror all AR controls.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]
That may be my anecdotal evidence coming through, watching it lock up like that.

I’m not sold on the reciprocating handle either, our 2 gun night match is this weekend so we’ll see how it performs
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:14:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#40]
Be advised:

This Sig MCX stock has been discontinued and there are just a few NEW in the marketplace left.  It is a nice option for the BRN-180.

The only place I found them left was at Optics Planet and they have just a few.

Code MEMTEN gets a 10% off OR code 2DAYAIR gets you fast shipping.  Your choice.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sauer-mcx-mpx-thin-side-folding-stock-black-stkxfoldthinblk.html

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:25:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#41]
That may be my anecdotal evidence coming through, watching it lock up like that.

I’m not sold on the reciprocating handle either, our 2 gun night match is this weekend so we’ll see how it performs
View Quote
The recip handle is great. It is not a con for the design.

1. Acts as a forward assist. The forward assist on an AR-15 was added specifically because it did not have a means to fully control the bolt.

2. Acts as a bolt release when fired folded since the bolt release will be likely covered by the folding stock. This is a huge PLUS.

3. Great positive control of the bolt.

4. Provides ambi function of the bolt release. Bolt can be released both left and right. Something the AR-180 lacks.

There is only one down side and that is if you need to fire tight against a barrier. Not a issue 99% of the time.

I love the recip handle and Brownells promised different models of the handle soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#42]
A BRN-180 action with a non-reciprocating forward charging handle (ambi or selectable) would be pretty great IMO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:58:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#43]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
A BRN-180 action with a non-reciprocating forward charging handle (ambi or selectable) would be pretty great IMO.
View Quote
It is not a issue. People need to get over it. People always want something more, more, more. Many great weapons had and have a recip handle.

FNC
SCAR
M14
M1 Carbine.
Mini-14/AC-556
Ruger PC
AK-47
ETC, ETC, ETC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:09:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#44]
It is not a issue. People need to get over it.

FNC
SCAR
M14
M1 Carbine.
Mini-14/AC-556
Ruger PC
AK-47
ETC, ETC, ETC.
View Quote
What's your point? That lots of other guns have reciprocating charging handles? Imagine that...
I didn't say it was an issue, I was stating my preference. I'm allowed to have a preference aren't I?
One could probably easily convert one to forward charging if I felt the need.

Non-reciprocating:
Attachment Attached File

Reciprocating:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m not a believer that the forward assist assists anything

You should have a lower with an ambi release in 2019

The handle is in a better location than the SCAR so it’s not much of a concern to me

I hope they come out with a handle that will fold forward out of the way
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#46]
I’m not a believer that the forward assist assists anything

You should have a lower with an ambi release in 2019

The handle is in a better location than the SCAR so it’s not much of a concern to me

View Quote
I doubt Brownells will come out with that handle. Others may.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:30:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#47]
View Quote
The side of the rail/receiver is slick enough that a properly designed (HK style) folding handle would be very accessible unless you run a right-side folding stock.

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:45:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#48]
@militaryarms just got his BRN-180.

I can't wait for his review.

Hopefully he reviews it using a side folder lower.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:55:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#49]
@militaryarms just got his BRN-180.
I can't wait for his review.
View Quote
Try not to talk him up too much, there's apparently bad blood between him and Ed Sr.
I personally think it's silly, but you'll get warnings for posting links to his stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:40:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alexbrooks] [#50]

FOR ME..........

No buffer tube.
Side folding.
Piston.
Cleaner than AR-15.

I prefer it over all my ARs. I can't see myself buying another AR. I will though be buying more variants of the BRN-180.
View All Quotes

FOR ME..........

No buffer tube.
Side folding.
Piston.
Cleaner than AR-15.

A buffer tube isn’t a bad thing.
People don’t usually use side folders
Piston does nothing better then DI. That’s why DI is dominate. Also more accurate.
DI has way smoother operation then piston. Pistons tend to have a violent recoil (Hk416). Piston has more going and is a harsher recoil.

It sounds like you have sold yourself on un-truths.  If BS’ing yourself makes you feel better then rock on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 1 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top