BRN-180 Review (Page 2 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alexbrooks:

A buffer tube isn’t a bad thing.
People don’t usually use side folders
Piston does nothing better then DI. That’s why DI is dominate. Also more accurate.
DI has way smoother operation then piston. Pistons tend to have a violent recoil (Hk416). Piston has more going and is a harsher recoil.

It sounds like you have sold yourself on un-truths.  If BS’ing yourself makes you feel better then rock on.
View Quote
You weren’t doing so bad until the piston does nothing better lol

Pistons are more versatile and reliable as military testing has shown. A cleaner and cooler action will always be more reliable, and they will always work better suppressed. The accuracy myth has been debunked as well, both systems are capable of sub moa. As far as recoil goes I suggest you scroll up to my recoil test video.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Dusted:

Pistons are more versatile and reliable as military testing has shown. A cleaner and cooler action will always be more reliable, and they will always work better suppressed. The accuracy myth has been debunked as well, both systems are capable of sub moa. As far as recoil goes I suggest you scroll up to my recoil test video.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Piston does nothing better then DI. That’s why DI is dominate. Also more accurate.
DI has way smoother operation then piston. Pistons tend to have a violent recoil (Hk416). Piston has more going and is a harsher recoil.

It sounds like you have sold yourself on un-truths.  If BS’ing yourself makes you feel better then rock on.

Buffer tube while not being a bad thing, could put your rifle out of commission with a severe impact. The folder, under similar circumstances, might still be able to lay down fire.

Side folders are nice in vehicles.

What previous poster said.

Its a 5.56, not 338 Lapua. What recoil?

Total Fail
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:
Buffer tube while not being a bad thing, could put your rifle out of commission with a severe impact. The folder, under similar circumstances, might still be able to lay down fire.

Total Fail
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:

Total Fail
A severe impact could knock out any weapon.. Duh.
Side folders aren’t really that good compared to collapse.
Recoil compared to an AR. There is a difference.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 12:17:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#4]
Good review

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JNB0mcKqAoI

I had similar findings with recoil, I believe the slight difference he’s noticing with the mid length is thanks to the brake on it
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I put my new Sig stock on my BRN-180

THIS IS PERFECT!

I highly recommend this stock.  I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS STOCK.

Perfect size, perfect shape, perfect length.

Cheek weld is you guessed it, perfect.

Link Posted: 6/1/2019 12:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#6]
2 in stock MCX stocks just found at this website. Good price and free shipping.

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/sig-sauer-mcx-mpx-1913-side-folding-stock-x-fold-thin-blk.html

Update: now 0 left. Two of you must have bought one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Revisited the recoil comparison with the new lower

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cstIyFFZAD8&t=4s
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#8]
Range day for me with the BRN-180.

Bad day with bad results.

First 30 rounds had short cycling with failure to pick up every next round.

Next 30 rounds had short cycling 50% of time.

Next 30 rounds had same thing 25% of time.

After that the bolt would come back far enough to cycle every time, but not far enough to engage the BHO.

I fired about 200 rounds and it now cycles every round but will not engage the BHO.

A piece of tape across the ejection port shows the bolt will not come back far enough.

I was using Federal XM193 5.56 so it should not be an ammo issue.

I tried the bolt lubed and dry.

I examined everything prior to firing and there was no indication that it had been factory test fired.

I am very bummed!
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you use oil or grease to lube it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#10]
Did you use oil or grease to lube it?
View Quote
Yes I tried the bolt lubed (CLP) and dry.

The tape test shows how far the bolt travels rearward.  Mine travels far enough to pick up and chamber a round but about 1/4 to 1/2 inch short of going BHO.

At first it wouldn't pick up the next round but then "broke in" and ended up cycling every round.

200 rounds is plenty for testing. If it were related to break in then that many rounds is enough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:54:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#11]
Can you confirm this wear on YOUR bolt. My bolt may be dragging on a machine bur on the charging handle removal hole.

Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Bad attachment

Did you lube the springs and guides along with the obvious bcg surfaces?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:46:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#13]
Bad attachment

Did you lube the springs and guides along with the obvious bcg surfaces?
View Quote
yes. clp

Do you not see the pic now? I see it now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
That wear exists on mine as well, the bolt is tight in the receiver very little play. I can’t think of anything else that would be slowing it down, take the handguard off and ensure the piston rides freely back and forth
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#15]
That wear exists on mine as well, the bolt is tight in the receiver very little play. I can’t think of anything else that would be slowing it down, take the handguard off and ensure the piston rides freely back and forth
View Quote
I checked everything over.

I do see the bur and it is wearing down the more it is fired.

Other than that it seems smooth.

Must be not enough gas. XM193 is great ammo with enough power.

It sucks because I can send it back but they are out of stock, so the wait could be LONG.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you feel it drag hand cycling it?

I’d hand cycle the piss out of it and go try again. Run a chamber brush to be sure there isn’t anything in the chamber holding up the brass
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Pulled mine apart, it has the same burr on the charging handle hole. Took a copper brush to it and it was easily removed
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Can you feel it drag hand cycling it?

I’d hand cycle the piss out of it and go try again. Run a chamber brush to be sure there isn’t anything in the chamber holding up the brass
View Quote
I may try another 100 rounds.

I will also try some grease on the bolt.

Another thing I noted is that I shot my flash hider loose.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I would definitely brush away that burr, take a pick to it if need be. I’ve run my bcg with grease on the rails, hand cycles very smoothly.

That might be just enough to slow it down that much, I’d wager your gas block needs a few more rounds to carbon seal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:31:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alexbrooks] [#20]
Originally Posted By BRN-180:
Range day for me with the BRN-180.

Bad day with bad results.

First 30 rounds had short cycling with failure to pick up every next round.

Next 30 rounds had short cycling 50% of time.

Next 30 rounds had same thing 25% of time.

After that the bolt would come back far enough to cycle every time, but not far enough to engage the BHO.

I fired about 200 rounds and it now cycles every round but will not engage the BHO.

A piece of tape across the ejection port shows the bolt will not come back far enough.

I was using Federal XM193 5.56 so it should not be an ammo issue.

I tried the bolt lubed and dry.

I examined everything prior to firing and there was no indication that it had been factory test fired.

I am very bummed!
View Quote
This is a perfect example of crowning the BRN180 the best and saying it makes the DI obsolete to a weapon that is untested.  The 180 got exposed.  That will teach you a lesson for sucking it-Off.  Sorry you are having problems. I hope you can get it squared away.  Next time brag about it after you test some rounds through. I hated to see you make a fool of yourself. You can get back on track.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]
New products, especially when rushed into production are bound to have a few teething issues
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#22]
Salvation on range day 2.

Found a burr and removed it on the charging handle removal hole. Possible bolt drag on it. At least 3 reports from owners of this burr.

Greased the bolt carrier and rail contacts with Mobile 1 synthetic grease.

Using mags with just 2 rounds in them I tested BHO over and over.

After about 10 rounds I started to get BHO.

Shortly after I was able to get 100% function and cycle.

I ran maybe 100 rounds and it appears it is breaking in.

So I think my break in took about 350 rounds.

There have been multiple owners with reports of break in required and also bolt required grease or very lubed during break in.

My advise is to remove that burr and use grease vs CLP till it is broken in. Also check your flash hider tightness.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 6:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#24]
Dusted:

Do you have minor ejection marks, on the upper lip of the ejection port?  Not on the surface of the upper but just on the lip. You can only see it by looking at it tilted.

My concern is that STEEL case ammo may be an issue hitting that lip. I don't use steel case ammo, but some people do.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I have the brass marks as well, steel case is no worry. You don’t see steel case eating through brass deflectors
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Salvation on range day 2.

Found a burr and removed it on the charging handle removal hole. Possible bolt drag on it. At least 3 reports from owners of this burr.

Greased the bolt and rail contacts with Mobile 1 synthetic grease.

Using mags with just 2 rounds in them I tested BHO over and over.

After about 10 rounds I started to get BHO.

Shortly after I was able to get 100% function and cycle.

I ran maybe 100 rounds and it appears it is breaking in.

So I think my break in took about 350 rounds.

There have been multiple owners with reports of break in required and also bolt required grease or very lubed during break in.

My advise is to remove that burr and use grease vs CLP till it is broken in. Also check your flash hider tightness.
View Quote
FYI, thick grease is going to slow your bolt down compared to oil, so you may have been inducing some of those failures.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 8:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#27]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

FYI, thick grease is going to slow your bolt down compared to oil, so you may have been inducing some of those failures.
View Quote
Nope, Mobile 1 syn brushed on is slick as snot and was noticeably smother than lots of CLP. It actually stays in place better than oil.

I never used that brand until the MILSURPLUS guys told me about it for M1 Carbine use.

I got the failures prior to grease not after.

Once this upper has many rounds I will go back to just CLP.

Although CLP isn't oil, it is generally suitable for bolt/carrier lube.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Brownells:
If anyone has any issues, please do not hesitate to utilize our return policy.

We have ID'd some corrective issues for future uppers, which are:

Dust covers are being altered, if you need a replacement, please PM us on this forum.
Gas port size is being opened up to avoid any short stroking issues.
PWS is test fitting on more lowers to ensure better compatibility.

The burr issue has been noted and passed to PWS.

All BRN-180 Uppers are test fired with ten rounds, including the first run. We are going to alter the test firing regimen to include rounds with a full magazine, with the port cover closed, as well as five only in the magazine to ensure bolt lock back.
View Quote
Great news!
Any chance of getting the adjustable gas block from the 10.5" upper as standard equipment on the 16" upper?
That should allow you to open the port without severely overgassing it with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Nope, Mobile 1 syn brushed on is slick as snot and was noticeably smother than lots of CLP. It actually stays in place better than oil.

I never used that brand until the MILSURPLUS guys told me about it for M1 Carbine use.

I got the failures prior to grease not after.

Once this upper has many rounds I will go back to just CLP.

Although CLP isn't oil, it is generally suitable for bolt/carrier lube.
View Quote
Wow, you are just a wealth of knowledge! So open to new information as well! Also, you have added so much to this technical discussion that I am going to go ahead and unsubscribe till you go away.

Moving on...
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 1:22:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#32]
Delete.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:57:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#33]
Is this acceptable windage on a new factory BRN-180 upper?

Front sight is also a BUIS.

25 clicks right.

Link Posted: 6/7/2019 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I’d wager it has something to do with your sights and or mounting
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:09:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Brownells, why aren’t the new port doors being sent out to the customers that you have already shipped to?  Better yet include a letter of known issues and a return label if the customers wishes to send the upper back for service?  Instead of having customers grovel for service?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#36]
Third  day at the range:

Before I went I cleaned the rifle. I removed all grease from day 2 on the bolt carrier and receiver.

I lubed the bolt/carrier and receiver with just CLP this time.

100% proper function with 200 rounds fired.

This upper is broke in and working great.

I was able to gain back 5 clicks on my rear sight likely due to lowering the stock which for my eyes and glasses made a difference.

The rear sight is not centered but is better now and acceptable for me. I need to realize that this is a REMOVABLE hand guard and a barrel that is not screwed to the receiver.

I attribute any function problems I had at first to break in of the upper and removing that burr likely helped.

Brownells is stating that they will open up the gas port on future production. I don't think that is necessary. That would maybe put it towards the over gassed side.

Break in may be all that is required. Sharp edges in the receiver likely needed to be worn down to smooth out carrier travel.

I will hit them up for the improved dust cover though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Looking at the dust cover, what would be required to remove it?

I don't see a C clip.

How is it removed and installed? If I get the new improved version.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#38]
Boy does this NEW review off Brownells website sound familiar.

He is probably just 100 rounds from break in and maybe should try the grease. Re-install the flash hider also.

"I was looking forward to shooting this clever upper. I dropped it onto an Aero Precision mil spec lower sans buffer and spring. First shot short stroked and jammed with an aluminum Brownells GI Mag. Turns out, it hates factory Remington brand 55 Gr .223. I switched to a Pmag with the same ammo, it turned into a straight pull bolt action. I checked to make sure I didn't install the suppressor piston, it wasn't. The Remington ammo and GI Mags worked fine with my other ARs. Switched to factory Hornady Frontier 55Gr. It worked but still jammed every so often and didn't lock open. I was able to put over 200 rounds through it. Eventually it locked open on last round but the bolt catch hooks the carrier not the bolt. Finally, I stopped shooting after I noticed a "ping" sound when I released the bolt. The flash hider shot loose. I'm a bit disappointed. On the up side, it's plenty accurate with an Aimpoint Pro."
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Brownells:

The Ejection Port Cover has a C-Clip, just behind the front lug.  The C-Clip is removed, then the rod can be pulled to the front or rear.

We should have enough new ejection port covers shortly to send out.
View Quote
Thanks.

PM being sent as you requested for the improved dust cover.  Owners probably need the C clip also because generally those are single use and won't stay on if reused.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:01:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#42]
Man has interest waned on the BRN-180 in social media.

Almost nothing new talking about it.

I still like mine very much. VERY MUCH!

I think Brownells is failing in promotion LATELY.

They need more T&E from well known people.

Brownells, send one to a big name reviewer (of course one that has been broken in) and get some new interest going.

I have no issue with these requiring break in. I still suggest leaving the gas port size alone.

Just include in the instructions about the break in period.

With mine I have plenty of carrier rearward travel using XM193. More gas would maybe allow the carrier to contact the buffer with hot ammo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 7:17:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#43]
I received my improved dust cover. Thanks Brownells.

I think you are missing the failure of the design with both old and new version.

The new version has a ramp added. It appears that this ramp will deflect the cover when/if it is HIT by the handle.

You may be missing the problem. You are still going to have the handle hit the cover.

You don't want the handle to contact or hit the cover in the first place. That is the problem.

The CARRIER itself should drop the cover, not the handle.

The cover should drop clear way before the handle contacts it. This new design does not accomplish that.

The area that needs correction is the ramp that contacts the carrier. It needs to be improved/larger so the cover opens sooner as the carrier moves rearward.

Hand cycle with my new one has it attempt to open slightly pushed by the carrier but the plunger still holds it shut then the handle hits it and finally opens it.

HELL, this new one is even worse than the old one as far as not popping open. The new ramp will prevent damage to the cover but it hits the cover still.

So the only thing improved about the cover is damage protection and the failure of the cover not opening still is very apparent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 4:23:45 AM EDT
[#44]
On mine the cover was kicked open way before the charging handle came close.  
I just thought the carrier was pushing it open.  I can't recheck it because I sent mine
back for a refund.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:50:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#45]
Originally Posted By wrhk33:
On mine the cover was kicked open way before the charging handle came close.  
I just thought the carrier was pushing it open.  I can't recheck it because I sent mine
back for a refund.
View Quote
What was wrong with it specifically that you decided you did not want it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#46]

What was wrong with it specifically that you decided you did not want it?
View Quote
It did not fit the five lowers I tried it on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#47]
What brands out of curiosity?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#48]
What brands out of curiosity?
View Quote
I posted this in another string, after this I tried a Aero Precision, no luck with that one either.

Tried four forged receivers.
Eagle Arms: Much too tight, had to hammer in pins.

Colt: Couldn't get the back pin in.

Noveske: Can't even get the front pin in. The tang on the front is .005" wider at the base, not even close. Receiver is completely stripped.

LMT: The front pin fits, rear pin can be forced in if I don't have the upper receiver plastic buffer in place but the rear pin
removal still requires a punch to push out. With the 180 buffer installed it needs a hammer to install the rear pin.
On this receiver I think the plastic buffer is too thick front to back. I don't have a good way to remove material off in a uniform manner,
nor do I know how much a replacement buffer is or how to change the rods if I screw it up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Strange, I didn’t have any issue with my Aero lower among others. Must have been a bad upper receiver
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I didn't have any issues after 50 rounds of cleaning it after sets of 5 to break it in. Fit well on an m4e1 lower (pics of mine have been circulating a bit)

Problem came past the 500 round mark when the barrel came loose.

Since these have the gas port drilled after the barrel is torqued in, it's now out of headspace even if shimmed. Have to wait on the backorders to get a replacement.

Just my luck I guess.
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 2 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top