User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 1 of 13)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 5/10/2019 5:03:36 PM EDT
The short and sweet of it is I am very happy with it, it looks to be 1 MOA capable (it was 1.5-2 MOA with bulk fmj), light recoil, light weight, massive hard on.

Through sighting it in and playing around with it today it went through 120rds flawlessly. Fit and finish is great as I expect from PWS. It’s not all sunshine and daisies however, there’s a steel insert where the cam pin rests in the receiver. This itself isn’t an issue but they’ve used a screw to hold it in place and covered the head in a rubber knob. Looks funny and bothers me a bit, I am going to ask Brownells if the rubber bit can be removed. The whole reciprocating handle is a bummer but doesn’t seem to get in the way and there’s no adjustable gas block but they did include a suppressed piston sleeve that has some additional venting drilled in. I removed the funky flash hider and replaced it with an FSC556 brake/hider.

I plan on having a recoil test against two other rifles, my PWS MK116 and a borrowed basic bitch mid length DI. I was thinking I’d run 10rds into a target at around 25yds as quickly as possible on a timer. I’d then compare group size and speed, if anyone has some suggestions on bettering this test lmk. So far it has a reciprocating weight advantage of 5.1oz against the DI and 7.2oz against the PWS, of course this doesn’t tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doubleajaybrock:
Has anyone with the new BRN-180 folding stock figured way to use a qd sling?  I’m half tempted to install some form of a qd socket to the stock.
View Quote

Which stock?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By faawrenchbndr:

Which stock?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Has anyone with the new BRN-180 folding stock figured way to use a qd sling?  I’m half tempted to install some form of a qd socket to the stock.

Which stock?

Brownells BRN-180 folding stock
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Which stock?
View Quote

Brownells BRN-180 folding stock
View Quote

Remove the buttplate and install a Noveske QD socket

https://noveske.com/products/flush-qd-sling-mount/
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
@BigRix

Sir, I'm guessing that it's you that runs "BRN-180 Parts".  Is there any way to mount front sling hardware on your BRN-180S handguard?  I have a 10,5" upper on the way and I'm interested in getting one of your handguards, but wanting to mount a swivel or a loop on it.  

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rpoL98] [#6]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:
@BigRix

Sir, I'm guessing that it's you that runs "BRN-180 Parts".  Is there any way to mount front sling hardware on your BRN-180S handguard?  I have a 10,5" upper on the way and I'm interested in getting one of your handguards, but wanting to mount a swivel or a loop on it.  

Thanks for your time.
View Quote

this should work.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Outstanding!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
@BigRix

Thanks for your time.
View Quote

Its AR180Parts.com but that's close enough, LoL.

I made a shorter version so that enough rail is left for sling mounting.

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BigRix:

Its AR180Parts.com but that's close enough, LoL.

I made a shorter version so that enough rail is left for sling mounting.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/CBA4023C-97F1-4025-8DDB-5B67A1A4F8EF-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

Too late.  Lol!  You'll probably be getting my check today for the full-length handguard.    I ended up finding a top rail mounted swivel mount that should work.

N.A.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Got the new BRN-180 out for the first time today and put over 300 rounds through it.  First 100 rounds or so I had five failures to fire, then it was good to go.  Seemed like light strikes.  Ammo was M193.  Any issues similar to this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By --FLEET--:
https://i.imgur.com/He5Qbre.jpg
View Quote
What is that cheek riser? I have the same stock and would be interested in it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ignis:
What is that cheek riser? I have the same stock and would be interested in it.
View Quote

It's the .5" riser from Jmac Customs. SKU is CRIM50. It matches up with the round top of the midwest tube really well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the BRN-180S back out again this morning.  Couple hundred more rounds through it with zero problems.  I'm guessing the few failures to fire in the first hundred rounds last week was some sort of "break-in".
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Got the BRN-180S back out again this morning.  Couple hundred more rounds through it with zero problems.  I'm guessing the few failures to fire in the first hundred rounds last week was some sort of "break-in".
View Quote

Probably had some stuff in the firing pin channel.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

Probably had some stuff in the firing pin channel.

View Quote

Certainly possible.  I did break it down, nothing jumped out at me, but the issue never arose again after that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Only thing keeping me away from picking one of these is the massive hole when the dust cover is open.
Anything aftermarket to narrow that chasm?
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 12:44:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ksingh1469:
Only thing keeping me away from picking one of these is the massive hole when the dust cover is open.
Anything aftermarket to narrow that chasm?
View Quote

This crossed my mind too, but I've always been almost compulsive with keeping dust covers closed.  I still wouldn't consider it a "drag it through the mud" rifle though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Too bad somebody doesn't develop a rubber seal like the Sig 5XX rifles use.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
New gun day. BRN180 arrived today. Ignore the G36K hand guard. I was messing around with it while I wait on the long G36 version to show up.

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#20]
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

BRN-180 in its final form.  @BigRix decided to go with your short handguard after all.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#22]
What brace do you have in there?
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#23]
CNC Warrior.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20221108_132856__1__jpg-2592657.JPG

BRN-180 in its final form.  @BigRix decided to go with your short handguard after all.
View Quote

Looks fantastic!

Tag me if you happen to post pics on Instagram.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#26]
That has a great retro look to it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:29:17 PM EDT
[#27]
The Retro lowers look great with all the versions of the BRN uppers, but other than looks is there an advantage of any sort?

Seems pricy for what you get.  You could get a full AR lower with fire control and buffertube stock and if you add a KNS or other Picatinny adaptor you could always go back and forth from buffer tube stock to folding stock like a Manticore Arms stock or Brownells stock.  With NoDak now part of Palmetto it seems uncertain whether there will be any AR 180 Retro lowers other than what Brownells is producing at this time and for $170 and limited use case I would think throwing in a fire control group would be nice.

Link Posted: 11/11/2022 1:12:36 AM EDT
[#28]
For me it was to have an integral rail in the back for mounting the brace.  One less part to vibrate loose.
Link Posted: 11/11/2022 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got my 300blk upper.

I'll get a brn180 lower with a folder eventually but it's on a PSA pistol lower for now.

It's so light! Can't wait to test it out.

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:01:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azoutdoorsman] [#30]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/499876/20221005_130321_jpg-2551815.JPG

Got the new BRN-180 out for the first time today and put over 300 rounds through it.  First 100 rounds or so I had five failures to fire, then it was good to go.  Seemed like light strikes.  Ammo was M193.  Any issues similar to this?
View Quote
My 300 blk had 2 light strikes in the first 60 rounds with Barnaul ammo.

I'm more concerned with the bolt locking back before the mag is empty, which happened 4-5 times. I think it might be the mag though, as it happened all with the last mag of the session.

Love your BRN, Are you in PHX area?
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By azoutdoorsman:

I'm more concerned with the bolt locking back before the mag is empty, which happened 4-5 times. I think it might be the mag though, as it happened all with the last mag of the session.

Love your BRN, which brace is that, CNC? Are you in PHX area?
View Quote

Which mags were you using.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Which mags were you using.
View Quote
20rd 300BLK PMAGS, but I've got some 30rd 300BLK Lancer mags to try next time
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Love your BRN, Are you in PHX area?
View Quote

Sure am.  In the Northeast part of the Valley.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I apologize if it's already been answered, but how's the ejection pattern for those of us who shoot lefty?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Lokjell:
I apologize if it's already been answered, but how's the ejection pattern for those of us who shoot lefty?
Thanks
View Quote

Mine has been good, but I only shoot Wolf Gold and hotter (5.56), suppressed. Haven't shot any of the weaker .223.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Lokjell:
Thanks
View Quote

My wrong-handed friends don't like it - brass tends to go straight onto the right arm, and the charging handle annoyed one of them too

Might take a look at the PSA JAKL or FoxtrotMike FM15 which have at least got a more traditional brass deflector and also a non-reciprocating charging handle that can be swapped between sides

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the info. I actually really like right hand charging. Grew up hunting with browning BAR, remington 1100, and cut my teeth on a Crossman 760.  😜
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm a lefty and it's fine, no different from ar15
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Took out to the desert and it ran great with 20 and 30rd mags.

I swapped lowers, so that must've been where the premature BHO stemmed from.

Also added a straight charging handle from BRN180parts.com. Nice upgrade and fast shipping!

I did notice that with the dust cover closed, the gun wouldn't extract the spent casing, likely from the bolt being slowed down by the dust cover. Any solution to this?

Link Posted: 11/21/2022 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmmm.  Did it extract ok before you changed out the charging handle?  On the model that Brownells sells with a straight charging handle, it comes without a dust cover if I recall correctly.  What handguard do you have there?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Hmmm.  Did it extract ok before you changed out the charging handle?  On the model that Brownells sells with a straight charging handle, it comes without a dust cover if I recall correctly.  What handguard do you have there?
View Quote
Can't remember if I tried with the oem charging handle and dust cover closed, but the bolt carrier is what open the dust cover isn't it?

That's a Manta heat shield. It's silicone like a hot mitt. Pretty cool!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Can't remember if I tried with the oem charging handle and dust cover closed, but the bolt carrier is what open the dust cover isn't it?

That's a Manta heat shield. It's silicone like a hot mitt. Pretty cool!
View Quote

Yes, the carrier opens the dust cover, but it could be that the shape of the replacement charging handle doesn't let the cover "get out of the way" and strikes it.  Just a thought.  Thanks Brownells for chiming in.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 9:18:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Claytonhoneyberry] [#44]
I’m pretty sure that if you’re using the straight BRN-180 charging handle, the dust cover needs to be modified to work correctly. I don’t know if that used to be posted on AR180parts website or if I read it here or someplace else. If you look at the pics on their site, you can see that the corner of the dust cover is trimmed off.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:
I’m pretty sure that if you’re using the straight BRN-180 charging handle, the dust cover needs to be modified to work correctly. I don’t know if that used to be posted on AR180parts website or if I read it here or someplace else. If you look at the pics on their site, you can see that the corner of the dust cover is trimmed off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Brownells_ar15:

This is the biggest issue in trying to come up with a different style charging handle--not having it interfere with the dust cover.  We haven't found one that works reliably enough.  However, we are still working on it!
View All Quotes

Also added a straight charging handle from BRN180parts.com. Nice upgrade and fast shipping!

I did notice that with the dust cover closed, the gun wouldn't extract the spent casing, likely from the bolt being slowed down by the dust cover. Any solution to this?

https://i.ibb.co/17t6hdG/20221120-154503.jpg

This is the biggest issue in trying to come up with a different style charging handle--not having it interfere with the dust cover.  We haven't found one that works reliably enough.  However, we are still working on it!
@Brownells_ar15

A sig 55X style split rubber gasket dust cover would be cool
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/321E2326-1D46-467F-AA2F-D90A744C65C2-scaled.jpeg

Thanks! I was trying to post that pic but my iPad wasn’t cooperating.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 2:54:18 AM EDT
[#48]
@Brownells_ar15

View All Quotes

https://i.ibb.co/17t6hdG/20221120-154503.jpg

@Brownells_ar15

Or perhaps an FNC style dust cover. I know, more parts and more cost, but this too would be a sufficient change I believe.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Has any cut, threaded, and pinned a 16" barrel version down to 14.5".  Any issues with the gas system?
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#50]
@Brownells_ar15

View Quote

I've been saying this since these came out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 1 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top