Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2023 3:34:44 PM EDT
Here's an A1 I completed using a Blem H&R lower with a Shark upper and a barrel I bought over in the EE.

Both the upper and lower are finished in Norrells.  All of the small parts were bead blasted and parked in mag phosphate.

It runs 100% except for one new Brownell's 20rd mag that won't feed

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful..!!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I did a similar thing.  I Ospho'd the trigger, safety and take down pins and found a parkerized bolt release and mag catch.
Stock set from Numrich, not too bad, but I had to use a round file rasp to remove the distorted foam in the buttstock to get the buffer tube in.  The grip they sent is a bakelite clover marked GM.
 Barrel off the EE.
 I didn't recoat the Shark Arms upper, it's a functional placeholder.  I am waiting for an H&R upper, then I'll be ready to fix bayonet and rob the liqour store of all the Old Harper they have.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i did the same, but about to drop the Shark upper and go with the slick side H&R upper I ordered a few days ago.  (crap... didnt realize how much Husky hair was on those black bins... )

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to hang on to the Shark upper I have.  I'm happy with the repair/mod I did to get it where it needs to be so all is good.

Here's a closeup of the Norrell's Colt gray-black molyresin

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#6]
That Norell's finish looks great!
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That Norell's finish looks great!
View Quote

Thanks....I found that if I preheat the parts a bit higher than the instructions, to 225F, I get a better finish than it being cooler.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am going to hang on to the Shark upper I have.  I'm happy with the repair/mod I did to get it where it needs to be so all is good.

Here's a closeup of the Norrell's Colt gray-black molyresin

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/581283/IMG_4757_jpg-2799239.JPG
View Quote

I am keeping mine also. I will use it on another build.  I too am happy with my fix.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice. I need to get my small parts redone.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]

H&R M16A1 Lower (Grey)
H&R Charging Handle (Grey)
Colt A1 upper, originally black, refinished in Norrells Colt Grey (bought on EE as is)

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks....I found that if I preheat the parts a bit higher than the instructions, to 225F, I get a better finish than it being cooler.
View Quote

Did you use an infrared gun to see when the parts hit 225 or you just upped the oven temp to 225 for a specific amount of time?  How long of a gap between pulling from the oven and coating?
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did you use an infrared gun to see when the parts hit 225 or you just upped the oven temp to 225 for a specific amount of time?  How long of a gap between pulling from the oven and coating?
View Quote

from norrell site

Pre-Heating

Once the metal has been prepared, the parts should be hung in an oven to pre-heat them for coating. The temperature of the metal should be heated to a minimum of 150 f when coating so the heat can evaporate the solvents immediately to avoid runs. This also creates the flattest sheen. Preheating the parts to the same temperature that you will cure at (300 f) is common also since by the time you take the part out of the oven, hang it to spray, etc., the temp of the metal will have dropped significantly. The higher pre-heat temperature of the metal will give you a flatter sheen of the coating. Pre-heating also lets you know if you have adequately degreased your parts as oil will run out of any crevice you did not clean.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you choose a rifle with a 1/12” or 1/7” twist and have you shot it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Did you choose a rifle with a 1/12” or 1/7” twist and have you shot it?
View Quote

I bought this barrel on the EE listings and it's new, chrome lined, unmarked, and I measure it to be a 1/9 twist.  Shoots great
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I received my complete lower the other day

I'll use my Luth-Ar upper receiver until I get an HR upper

I need to find a 20" barrel assembly
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Since I last posted, I glass bead blasted the lower parts kit parts - bolt release / mag release / take down and pivot pins

Then I treated then with PickleX 20 and I think they look pretty good

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like your retro build, it looks sharp.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Since I last posted, I glass bead blasted the lower parts kit parts - bolt release / mag release / take down and pivot pins

Then I treated then with PickleX 20 and I think they look pretty good

https://i.imgur.com/iazG3Qq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GPaxBwR.jpg
View Quote

Looks good, do the trigger pins also.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top