Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/22/2023 6:14:07 PM EDT
I ordered one from Sharkarms.com last week and it arrived today.  $239 shipped.  Different grey than my H&R Commando lower, a little darker.  Fits tight on the lowers I tried it on. I oiled and wiped both upper and lower for the pic to show the color. De-greased, it is very light in color, and the color on the inside is a lighter, blue grey.  No M4 barrel cuts. The finish is not gritty.  
 2nd pic is on a black anodized lower.
Overall, I'm pleased so far and think it is a close enough grey to run on my H&R lower, especially since grey anodizing is hardly consistent from batch to batch.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Me likey
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

I was wondering when one would show up here. Looks good.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 1 from shark arms to ,had to bend the leaf spring quite a bit to get tension on the sight
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 1 from shark arms to ,had to bend the leaf spring quite a bit to get tension on the sight
View Quote

From his web page:

***PRODUCT UPDATE 2/18****

WE STILL HAVE SOME LEFT SO GET THOSE ORDERS IN. We also built some of these up, we noticed some sight kits the little leaf spring can sit a little low, it doesn't effect the sight only the spring that makes that tightness when you toggle back and forth from open to peep.

THE FIX: Very simple we took a pair of pliers and bent the leaf spring every so slightly,  and it's G2G. Some sight kits didn't need it at all so just a heads up when installing if anyone needs help you all know we are here,we also will have Colt A1 sights for sale soon as well.  Questions just email us.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep not complaining,I have bought a lot of stuff from him he is a great guy,tried 2 different springs one PSA and one from Brownells used the Brownells
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep not complaining,I have bought a lot of stuff from him he is a great guy,tried 2 different springs one PSA and one from Brownells used the Brownells
View Quote

Just putting it out there for those unaware.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a fan of the vendor personally but the upper appears to be very nice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the vendor personally but the upper appears to be very nice.
View Quote

What specifically makes you not a fan?
 I emailed him like it said on the site, he emailed back with the payment info and explained the process,  a couple days later I got the tracking info, then it was delivered.  Everything was exactly like he advertised.  
 People take shots at Tony's Customs too, but I ordered a C7 upper a few weeks ago and got it in a week with no problems.  I'm not sure how it could have been any better in either case.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the heads up and pictures. I got one on order this morning. I had all but given up on getting a stripped grey A1 upper (been hitting the two H&R threads daily for a long long time).

Now all these A1 parts I have can finally find themselves being built into a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I've dealt with Chris many times. My suggestion is to talk to the man on the phone. Ask questions and give him your expectations, before ordering.  

Many complaints are due to lack of communication.  The man has never done me wrong personally.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone else have issues after making a purchase from Shark?  

My CC, I use for online purchases only, was hit with a 6533.48 charge to a travel agency about 15min after paying the online invoice to Shark..... fucking thieves.  Luckily my CC Co. questioned it, but still had to go through the verification of charges process and have a new card issued to me... oh well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My CC, I use for online purchases only, was hit with a 6533.48 charge to a travel agency about 15min after paying the online invoice to Shark..... fucking thieves.  Luckily my CC Co. questioned it, but still had to go through the verification of charges process and have a new card issued to me... oh well.
View Quote

I know that he just went through the process of setting up a new payment system, but that's all I know.

I haven't bought from him since he was using PP business.

EDIT:

January of this year:

The payment process for these is not worked out all the way yet, we have decided to move away from Clover and partner up with a Processor who is a lot more of a friend to the 2 Amendment and hopefully this will mean we can start using there platform ASAP for everything that is TBD. So in the mean time, for right now we will accept Zelle, Venmo, Money Order, Cash and im going to see if we can start accepting CCs today(Monday) with our new company.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know that he just went through the process of setting up a new payment system, but that's all I know.

I haven't bought from him since he was using PP business.

EDIT:

January of this year:

The payment process for these is not worked out all the way yet, we have decided to move away from Clover and partner up with a Processor who is a lot more of a friend to the 2 Amendment and hopefully this will mean we can start using there platform ASAP for everything that is TBD. So in the mean time, for right now we will accept Zelle, Venmo, Money Order, Cash and im going to see if we can start accepting CCs today(Monday) with our new company.
View Quote

Yeah, I read all that online. Looks like he is using Valor Paytech for online invoices.

I probably should have just given him my CC over the phone when I was talking to him. Again, oh well, my CC caught it and all is fine, just have to setup new online pay with a new card when it arrives.

On a side note. Ordered yesterday and received shipping notice today.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't have any problems, they sent the VALOR invoice and I use my cc to pay at the link, that was 10 days ago.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I didn't have any problems, they sent the VALOR invoice and I use my cc to pay at the link, that was 10 days ago.
View Quote

yeah, maybe it was a glitch in the matrix.  

I don't see any bad reviews online about Valor, so who knows.

Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Who made these uppers?? His ad said Colt vendor or something??
(there’s a collection of A1 parts in the EE with a H&R upper) I’m abandoning one of my builds because I can’t get a stripped H&R lower atm
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used Zelle with him several times and it has been seamless
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
(there’s a collection of A1 parts in the EE with a H&R upper) I’m abandoning one of my builds because I can’t get a stripped H&R lower atm
View Quote

There are no markings on the one I received, but I will say it looks just like my H&R right down to the unfinished flashing seams in the exact same spots and same color. A tell tell of the H&R was those seams, especially the partial front one.

I suspect it’s the same vendor, but the sight pocket is milled a bit too deep. It’s about 2mil too deep.  I have a fix I just roughed up for that pocket.  Everything else test fits fine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hard to say.  They claim they’re made by a Colt OEM manufacturer “of 40 years” but don’t name them.  At the same time the add calls these “Colt A1 receivers” which is totally false.  No Colt stamps whatsoever, they’re a generic A1 receiver period.  Also, I imagine a so called “Colt OEM manufacturer of 40 years” wouldn’t have made out of tolerance pockets for the leaf spring.

Shark Arms used to be great, but my last several orders with them I was sent the wrong parts from their add.  Colt A1 upper that was supposed to have NO forge code but the one I received had them.  I had to send that back on my dime and Chris blamed his kid for the mistake.  Then I gave them another chance and ordered another A1, no forge code receiver, and received a standard M16 receiver with no forward assist.  On top of that the ejection port was gouged to hell from somebody using a knife? on it.

Personally I no longer trust them.  See the screen shot below of their add and decide for yourself if this smells a bit off.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]
me personally I’d put a flat shim cut to fit under the spring, I’ve rebuilt A1 sights that were floppy toggling on the upper because spring lost tension. I wouldn’t trust a bent spring to hold tension.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
me personally I’d put a flat shim cut to fit under the spring, I’ve rebuilt A1 sights that were floppy toggling on the upper because spring lost tension. I wouldn’t trust a bent spring to hold tension.
View Quote

thats what i fabricated for mine.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Hard to say.  They claim they’re made by a Colt OEM manufacturer “of 40 years” but don’t name them.  At the same time the add calls these “Colt A1 receivers” which is totally false.  No Colt stamps whatsoever, they’re a generic A1 receiver period.  Also, I imagine a so called “Colt OEM manufacturer of 40 years” wouldn’t have made out of tolerance pockets for the leaf spring.

Shark Arms used to be great, but my last several orders with them I was sent the wrong parts from their add.  Colt A1 upper that was supposed to have NO forge code but the one I received had them.  I had to send that back on my dime and Chris blamed his kid for the mistake.  Then I gave them another chance and ordered another A1, no forge code receiver, and received a standard M16 receiver with no forward assist.  On top of that the ejection port was gouged to hell from somebody using a knife? on it.

Personally I no longer trust them.  See the screen shot below of their add and decide for yourself if this smells a bit off.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/5DA5EE0A-EC7B-4F25-89FD-C632AD952846_png-2761507.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/D4A557C2-426E-43FC-91DA-34C7C7097B8C_jpe-2761513.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/5DA5EE0A-EC7B-4F25-89FD-C632AD952846_png-2761507.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20524/D4A557C2-426E-43FC-91DA-34C7C7097B8C_jpe-2761513.JPG

Unfortunately, this has become the norm for SAC.

The whole desirability by vague affiliation without actual pedigree is misleading.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
After reading your post I made a shim as well ,I made it out of the spring I had bent thanks for the idea
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The whole desirability by vague affiliation without actual pedigree is misleading.
View Quote

Agreed.  I wouldn’t be surprised if every single one of these uppers have the out of spec pocket as well even though they allude that just some of them do.  Modern NC machines are very consistent so it would be odd that there would be much variation in the depth.  Especially weird considering the manufacturer has “40 years”of experience making these for Colt.

Just another thought based on past experience with them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Regardless of how good he might have been in the past, he’s a scammer now. I won’t go into my story again here as it’s been posted a few times but he’s a liar and I would advise everyone stay away from him.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Every one is entitled to there own opinions but that seems a little harsh , I’ve dealt with him several times and except for this upper it’s been all good
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Every one is entitled to there own opinions but that seems a little harsh , I’ve dealt with him several times and except for this upper it’s been all good
View Quote

A Google search will bring you up to speed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL.  I just got back from a coworker’s who bought one of these uppers even though I warned him,  When assembling the rear sight, he had to use .010 shim stock under the leaf spring and the sight still isn’t as tight as it should be.  On top of that, I think the pocket above the spring pocket that’s milled out if spec, also looks to be low.  When I looked at his sights when flipped, they aren’t straight up and down because they rotate too far.  

Last thing I noticed is the forward assist was sticking forward and wouldn’t spring back,  I don’t know if that’s a problem with the receiver being off or the forward assist part he bought.  Based on the out of spec sight pockets from Colt’s manufacturer of 40 years , I’d lean toward it being a receiver issue,

I should have taken pics, I’ll get some if I swing by his place again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I flattened 1 spring and cut it down for a shim  and stacked to springs on top of each other ?? sight has good tension and is straight ,forward assist seems fine hopefully more options become available
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have pics of this leaf spring y’all talking about and bending it or adding a shim? M
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone have pics of this leaf spring y’all talking about and bending it or adding a shim? M
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Rear base flat spring

And/or shim stock.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#32]

I had a good experience with Chris. I wanted to see these uppers in person after reading the thread. Communication was solid. Called him and the rest was text. Im content with handling the rear sight issue. I ended up picking up 20.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#33]
They’re great!
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Do all of the receivers he has have the rear sight issue? I know a lot of people bitching about these uppers and they’re not colt or whatever and something is off by like a millimeter. So
Many fucking babies in gun community. Shoot your shit FFS
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do all of the receivers he has have the rear sight issue? I know a lot of people bitching about these uppers and they’re not colt or whatever and something is off by like a millimeter. So
Many fucking babies in gun community. Shoot your shit FFS
View Quote

Out of spec is just that. No tip toe path around it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I have no real say either way, but I do recall the NoDak Spud upper receivers with the scope channel milled too narrow so that a carry handle scope or mount wouldn’t fit, and the run of Luth AR (was it?) upper receivers with the uneven carry handle “ears” (one thick and one thin). This problem seems that it would be less of an issue to me than either of those two.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Charlies customs was selling these, they are made by Potomac Armory. I have one and the flat spring pocket for the rear sight is slightly too deep. Charlies told me they had purchased several of them from sharkman and the whole batch had the same problem. Mine is fine other than that small imperfection.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Charlies customs was selling these, they are made by Potomac Armory. I have one and the flat spring pocket for the rear sight is slightly too deep. Charlies told me they had purchased several of them from sharkman and the whole batch had the same problem. Mine is fine other than that small imperfection.

View Quote

Just as I figured in my earlier posts.  Strange Shark Arms stated to the effect that only some did.  I’d be surprised if they weren’t aware that they all were out of spec and put that statement in their description so they could just claim those with bad receivers just got unlucky.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I posted a review on Charlies website on these and pointed out the problem with the rear sights being loose (I didn't know if it was the sight set itself or the milling at the time), and this is the reply Charlies sent:

Charlie's Custom Clones responded to your review:

"All fair comments. We worked with Potomac to source these from a small shop call Shark Arms, and could see some quality areas. Potomac had to work around a milling variances and our thought was: this should work well for now, at a time when there is nothing in the market, but overall, I would grade this a B. I do recall another manufacturer a few years back just getting the milling off center on the top, so A1 and C7 uppers are hit or miss."

...and here is a link to the item on their website for anyone interested:

A1 upper
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I posted a review on Charlies website on these and pointed out the problem with the rear sights being loose (I didn't know if it was the sight set itself or the milling at the time), and this is the reply Charlies sent:

Charlie's Custom Clones responded to your review:

"All fair comments. We worked with Potomac to source these from a small shop call Shark Arms, and could see some quality areas. Potomac had to work around a milling variances and our thought was: this should work well for now, at a time when there is nothing in the market, but overall, I would grade this a B. I do recall another manufacturer a few years back just getting the milling off center on the top, so A1 and C7 uppers are hit or miss."

...and here is a link to the item on their website for anyone interested:

A1 upper
View Quote

Damn. CCC is the last vendor I'd want to be associated with, especially in this manner.

Things are looking up.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#41]
How do I know if the base spring is in spec?  Is there data on tension and spring arc, weight?  Will I compromise the tension by bending it?  If so, how many flips will I get out of it before it loses its springyness and starts flopping around?  How often should I be changing this spring ?  Does Wolf make an extra power spring that I can swap into it?  If so, is it blackened stainless, but not the glossy black, I prefer the one that is dull with the tiny lines, but forget it if the lines aren't parallel to the line of fire, sideways lines are a deal breaker. Plus I hope it has "tactical" written on the package somewhere.
     I  don't know about you guys (and people that drink Bud Light)  but I flip that sight back and forth constantly, not just once in a while at the range because I can't remember what the L was for and which setting I'm supposed to zero it on, so I do it on both and say "oh yeah, L".
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#42]
And if you shim the spring all this would matter why?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Damn. CCC is the last vendor I'd want to be associated with, especially in this manner.

Things are looking up.
View Quote

Ya, I was desperate, running out of time due to the bullshit AWB coming down. It's a get it now or potentially not get it at all type of deal.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ya, I was desperate, running out of time due to the bullshit AWB coming down. It's a get it now or potentially not get it at all type of deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things are looking up.

I get it.

My comment was more aimed at CCC and SAC dealings.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#45]
So who exactly is Potomic Armory?  Are they a machine shop or somebody who just partnered with Shark Arms in having somebody make the uppers?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So who exactly is Potomic Armory?  Are they a machine shop or somebody who just partnered with Shark Arms in having somebody make the uppers?
View Quote

It's BS fuckery and bait/switch.

From CCC webpage:
Potomac Armory

Potomac Armory is a unique partner with Charlie’s Custom Clones.  Potomac Armory is a small manufacturer and assembler of military correct rifles, upper receivers, barrels and unique parts.  Potomac is a small business that often provides the link to military correct clone rifles by taking existing products and re-assembling or manufacturing small parts that fill the gap in the final finished military rifle..

From Potomac page:

Potomac Armory is a firearms manufacturer and distributor of military correct guns, scopes and components. We serve the military, law enforcement and end-user firearms enthusiasts. We are a fun, energetic and flexible company. We seek to grow our team to better serve our customers. We also have Charlies Custom Clones, which is our B2C consumer brand, which sells nationwide, and the largest seller of military correct rifles and upper receiver groups.

Both located near one another in VA..

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's BS fuckery and bait/switch.

From CCC webpage:
Potomac Armory

Potomac Armory is a unique partner with Charlie’s Custom Clones.  Potomac Armory is a small manufacturer and assembler of military correct rifles, upper receivers, barrels and unique parts.  Potomac is a small business that often provides the link to military correct clone rifles by taking existing products and re-assembling or manufacturing small parts that fill the gap in the final finished military rifle..

From Potomac page:

Potomac Armory is a firearms manufacturer and distributor of military correct guns, scopes and components. We serve the military, law enforcement and end-user firearms enthusiasts. We are a fun, energetic and flexible company. We seek to grow our team to better serve our customers. We also have Charlies Custom Clones, which is our B2C consumer brand, which sells nationwide, and the largest seller of military correct rifles and upper receiver groups.

Both located near one another in VA..

View Quote

So they’re obviously not the “Colt OEM manufacturer of 40 years”, which begs the question of who exactly is?  

Things just don’t seem to add up the more that’s uncovered.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So they’re obviously not the “Colt OEM manufacturer of 40 years”, which begs the question of who exactly is?  

View Quote

">taking existing products and re-assembling or manufacturing small parts that fill the gap in the final finished military rifle..
"

Bait and switch, plain and simple.

Shady as fuck.

As to SAC and the "OEM", it will not be revealed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

If Sharkman said it, based on my experience with him it's probably a lie.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#50]
This is just my opinion. Does it really matter? Currently these are the only A1 uppers we can get our hands on. The sight issue is a minor flaw that can be corrected. I agree SAC made it a mistery to the true origin. My dealing with Chris was good so not going to down the guy. He is running a father and son operation so I understand communication might not be the best at times. He seemed pretty busy when I went to his shop  which had to make an appointment to meet up. I was there and seen first hand he is not running a big operation. I am reading some of the comments bashing Shark Arms but seen first hand the operation. I'm going to give the guy some credit. I am in no way endorsing the company but just giving the man a little credit from my observations.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top