Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2022 7:10:54 AM EDT
Where did it go?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
No advertising in tech.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool! What are you printing these out of? PLA+ or something stronger?
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very cool! What are you printing these out of? PLA+ or something stronger?
View Quote

PLA+, I’ve tried multiple other filaments but this is the one that prints the most consistently and easily, and these take a WHILE to print as is; the black color also gives it the braces a pseudo-glossy look. I know BigRix uses ASA but I hate dealing with ABS-based filaments, although I’ve designed some printed sub-caliber .45-.22 inserts for my own use that I might try to print out of ABS  for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#5]
@Red_McCloud
Love your braces - have 5!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 3:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@Red_McCloud
Love your braces - have 5!!
View Quote

Hey I remember your orders haha! The braces been working fine? If any of them break/have broken I have an improved model I can send your way.

I really do need more feedback on how my braces are doing; my own testing has been pretty limited due to my living conditions but after someone broke his by rubbing it against a plate carrier (print had an internal failure while printing I couldn’t notice) I strengthened the design a good bit, although I haven’t had any more brace orders to capitalize on that
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

PLA+, I’ve tried multiple other filaments but this is the one that prints the most consistently and easily, and these take a WHILE to print as is; the black color also gives it the braces a pseudo-glossy look. I know BigRix uses ASA but I hate dealing with ABS-based filaments, although I’ve designed some printed sub-caliber .45-.22 inserts for my own use that I might try to print out of ABS  for shits and giggles.
View Quote

The reason I went with ASA is because I was getting a lot of my braces that were warping in shipping. I live in Tucson and all our mail goes through Phoenix.
The first August Phoenix was hitting close to 120 degrees and stuff was deforming while sitting in a mail truck or warehouse. I tried PETG first but didn't think they looked very good.

ASA requires an enclosure for the printer and that helps with the odors as well. I print just about everything in it now.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The reason I went with ASA is because I was getting a lot of my braces that were warping in shipping. I live in Tucson and all our mail goes through Phoenix.
The first August Phoenix was hitting close to 120 degrees and stuff was deforming while sitting in a mail truck or warehouse. I tried PETG first but didn't think they looked very good.

ASA requires an enclosure for the printer and that helps with the odors as well. I print just about everything in it now.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/AC036F59-706E-4E00-AABE-2BA640C963FE-scaled.jpeg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/C60616DF-E655-47B9-A000-A6F23A37EE19-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

That’s very good to know! How is the durability of ASA versus something like ABS, in your experience?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered offering (contracted) Nylon prints as an option (obviously for a higher cost)?

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you considered offering (contracted) Nylon prints as an option (obviously for a higher cost)?

View Quote

Idk if this is for me or BigRix, but I can say for me relative to my braces that nylon would cost an arm and a leg for a durability increase that isn’t entirely necessary. However I HAVE been looking at other types of filament in general, and the redesigns to my braces have made them quite a bit stronger at the cost of 33~% longer print time, which means I *could* probably have them cost more which would scare off even MORE people from getting one , but I’ve lowered the price as I have a good surplus of filament at this time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I really do need more feedback on how my braces are doing; my own testing has been pretty limited due to my living conditions but after someone broke his by rubbing it against a plate carrier (print had an internal failure while printing I couldn’t notice) I strengthened the design a good bit, although I haven’t had any more brace orders to capitalize on that
View Quote

Red, I've got the first version you did on my Commando clone and it's held up wonderfully over the last year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Red, I've got the first version you did on my Commando clone and it's held up wonderfully over the last year.
View Quote

That’s good to hear! The first ones I made definitely looked cruder than intended, but hearing that they’re holding up is music to my ears!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
And as I’m printing the first of hopefully the final few prototypes of an M4 brace (NOT very retro, haha!) I do have a generalized question for the other retroheads out here;

What do YOU want to see be done with 3D-printing for retro ARs?

I’ve ran out of ideas when it comes to new things, and BigRix is handing the 607 stock stuff I had planned to work on when my schedule cleared up (and it hasn’t, for a while ) but I’m curious to see if anyone out there has any ideas that 3D-printing/additive manufacturing could handle?

For reference, here’s what I’ve managed:
-CAR brace
-N1 brace
-CAR and N1 style N23 braces
-LSW handguards (need to be reworked but no interest so ehh)
-607 rear cap
-and a few other smaller projects that I’ll probably just freely post online, if I finish them.

And before anyone asks ‘is this advertising’, Hell No, I’m advertising nothing, I’m just asking what people would want made in the future cuz doing this is fun and a niche few have filled before.
I love this community and the builds people have managed and would like to figure out how to further that!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Idk if this is for me or BigRix, but I can say for me relative to my braces that nylon would cost an arm and a leg for a durability increase that isn't entirely necessary. However I HAVE been looking at other types of filament in general, and the redesigns to my braces have made them quite a bit stronger at the cost of 33~% longer print time, which means I *could* probably have them cost more which would scare off even MORE people from getting one , but I've lowered the price as I have a good surplus of filament at this time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idk if this is for me or BigRix, but I can say for me relative to my braces that nylon would cost an arm and a leg for a durability increase that isn't entirely necessary. However I HAVE been looking at other types of filament in general, and the redesigns to my braces have made them quite a bit stronger at the cost of 33~% longer print time, which means I *could* probably have them cost more which would scare off even MORE people from getting one , but I've lowered the price as I have a good surplus of filament at this time.
For all the creators here, Shapeways offers SLS nylon. I have purchased actual gun parts from them and they are stupid strong. Price would go up, but it would be production quality and you don't have to life a finger...
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And as I’m printing the first of hopefully the final few prototypes of an M4 brace (NOT very retro, haha!) I do have a generalized question for the other retroheads out here;

I’ve ran out of ideas when it comes to new things, and BigRix is handing the 607 stock stuff I had planned to work on when my schedule cleared up (and it hasn’t, for a while ) but I’m curious to see if anyone out there has any ideas that 3D-printing/additive manufacturing could handle?

-CAR brace
-N1 brace
-607 rear cap
-and a few other smaller projects that I’ll probably just freely post online, if I finish them.

And before anyone asks ‘is this advertising’, Hell No, I’m advertising nothing, I’m just asking what people would want made in the future cuz doing this is fun and a niche few have filled before.
I love this community and the builds people have managed and would like to figure out how to further that!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-CAR brace
-N1 brace
-607 rear cap

Add another to the list, very much not retro but something I feel some people would very much like (ignore the coloration, that’s the test filament I’m using to identify errors in the process). I also got rid of the sling swivel attachment point for a slot to make it more like a shockwave/simpler.

Finally the family is completed!

…minus the 607 at least.

Quoted:
For all the creators here, Shapeways offers SLS nylon. I have purchased actual gun parts from them and they are stupid strong. Price would go up, but it would be production quality and you don't have to life a finger...

I wouldn’t have to lift a finger outside of repackaging them, yes, buuuuut

this pricing is a bit much. A bit. I’m not out here selling $225 braces, the market for that is smaller than the potential profit margin! The dude who was selling ‘nylon M4 braces’ who ended up never coming through was ‘selling’ them for about this price as is.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top