Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2022 12:20:18 PM EDT
I'm looking to model and 3d print a fixed stock facsimile of a 607 stock. I've been looking at all the pictures I can find but I am left with one question.

Is the rear butt plate straight up and down or is it at a slight angle like the original stocks?

When on original stock was cut down, was the cut parallel with the rear of the stock or at 90 degrees to the top?

Picture from the archives.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s at an angle. I’m fairly sure that it’s the same angle as the original butt plate.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Not yet finished with the design but I thought you might like to see the progress so far.

It will attach to a shorty receiver extension with an A2 spacer. I still need to design the interior and put in the screw hole for the attachment.

I need to order a early sling swivel assembly so I can make a spot for that and the roll pin. I'm concerned that the roll pin hole will be a weak point.

Only one way to find out, print one and try to break it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. I’d like to see the finished product.
Now if someone would market these.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/607-Stock-1.jpg

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/607-Stock-2.jpg

Not yet finished with the design but I thought you might like to see the progress so far.

It will attach to a shorty receiver extension with an A2 spacer. I still need to design the interior and put in the screw hole for the attachment.

I need to order a early sling swivel assembly so I can make a spot for that and the roll pin. I'm concerned that the roll pin hole will be a weak point.

Only one way to find out, print one and try to break it.
View Quote

I’d been trying to make a 607 stock for a while, so I’m glad someone else took over that burden
This looks absolutely wonderful!
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly I cut the stocks at 7 degrees from vertical.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
First test print came out great. Waiting on a sling swivel so I can take measurements off it and insert it in the model. Does anyone have a recommendation for a 604 style sling swivel assembly? I got a couple used ones coming from APEX. I also saw
a more expensive, but new version, from retrorifles.com.

Printed all as one piece with a color change where it transitions from the butt plate to the stock.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pretty sure Numrich sells just the Type D sling swivel studs for $9 bucks each if you were wanting to stock up. If you planned on selling them, you could just include the pinned stud and the buyer can supply their swivel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I hadn't considered this combo but I think it looks awesome!

I call it the "Mini-Morg"

If you know, you know.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good OP?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I wasn't totally sold on the 607 stock/XM177E2 upper combo.

So I spun up a different butt plate design.

What do you guys think of the Mini-Morg now?

Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Oh man, that's sick!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Is this something you might want to market? If so, I want one.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 1:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]

If/When you sell these, you should list either buttpad options; I for example absolutely love the faux-607 buttpad, but that one is definitely a lot more usable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Numrich sells just the Type D sling swivel studs for $9 bucks each if you were wanting to stock up. If you planned on selling them, you could just include the pinned stud and the buyer can supply their swivel.
View Quote

They have been OOS for a few years now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, shows you how long it's been since I've purchased anything. Sorry
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like there's a used entry stock buffer tube in the EE. Might want to verify length, but if I didn't have one already I'd be on that.

(If the linking isn't allowed, dig through the Used Lower Parts section.)
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]
That is the right tube linked above.

I put some more detail in the butt plate of the 607 fixed stock.

Needs a little sanding and it will look the part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#20]
How much does something like that cost you to 3d print? It must get pretty costly to constantly print, tweak, reprint something right?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Basically the cost of the filament.

For me the final selling price of the product should pay me back for my design time, prototyping materials cost, cost to produce the final product, and shipping costs.

Plus a little profit to roll back into the business and support my gun habit.

It helps that I am working on 3 similar products at the same time. The Entree stock, the 607 fixed stock, and the shorty 604 style stock.

The Entree is pretty much done. I'm trying to figure out the sling swivel situation on the other two.

Imagine the hardest time you ever had installing the trigger guard roll pin. That is what I'm dealing with on these sling swivels.

I had to design a fixture to support the stock while beating the living crap out of it to install the roll pin.

I will either need to include a fixture with every stock or I will need to pre install the sling swivels.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For me the final selling price of the product should pay me back for my design time, prototyping materials cost, cost to produce the final product, and shipping costs.

It helps that I am working on 3 similar products at the same time. The Entree stock, the 607 fixed stock, and the shorty 604 style stock.

The Entree is pretty much done. I'm trying to figure out the sling swivel situation on the other two.

Imagine the hardest time you ever had installing the trigger guard roll pin. That is what I'm dealing with on these sling swivels.

I had to design a fixture to support the stock while beating the living crap out of it to install the roll pin.

I will either need to include a fixture with every stock or I will need to pre install the sling swivels.

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/538A27F3-A1BC-4547-A650-1776B8493DCE-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

I'd probably suggest pre-installing the swivel studs, but then again we get into the supply issue.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://ar180parts.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/538A27F3-A1BC-4547-A650-1776B8493DCE-scaled.jpeg
View Quote

The time I had punching OUT a roll pin on an old rusted M16 stock was hell so I can’t imagine having to install new ones every time you print a stock
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The time I had punching OUT a roll pin on an old rusted M16 stock was hell so I can’t imagine having to install new ones every time you print a stock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too bad with his jig, some lube, and a c clamp to press it in.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:23:03 AM EDT
[#25]
When I was building 607 stocks from cut down originals I would remove the swivel, chuck up on the post in my lathe, slip the stock over my pre-drilled holes, then drive the pin in. I made a little bench block to support the post while I would drive the swivel pin back in.
I broke several stocks before I figured out this method.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Kinda like the version on top that uses the rear of the hand guards.

So I did a little reverse engineering and made a prototype 607 hand guard that uses a round front retainer.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Meh, these miss the mark and just don't look right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Since it doesn't look like the Doublestar shorty tube is going to be available anytime soon I was forced to use a carbine tube for this design.

I made the buttplate a separate part so you can change it out if desired.

I got permission to use the Hoffman Tactical stock retention method and it made all the difference in finishing this project.

How do y'all like it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]

I love it, especially with the Type D buttpad! This is fantastic for mock-ups or if you have a carbine and want the rifle stock look and don't want to swap buffers/tubes. I'm not familiar with the Hoffman Tactical retention system, how does it work?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top