Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 10/10/2019 6:42:42 PM EDT
I thought someone on here was going  to be fabricating some pistol blades that were profiled to better resemble an CAR style look (side profile anyway) otherwise it was a blade/brace for an AR pistol.  I seem to recall them posting some prototype pics too - but now can't find the thread or who was involved.

Did that project work out?  Just curious if its still on or not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I thought someone on here was going  to be fabricating some pistol blades that were profiled to better resemble an CAR style look (side profile anyway) otherwise it was a blade/brace for an AR pistol.  I seem to recall them posting some prototype pics too - but now can't find the thread or who was involved.

View Quote
Was this it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like just a regular CAR stock, not a brace.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
That wasn't it - it was where someone had a flat blade that wasn't modded from a stock  I believe it was not retractable so the lever/lock was not adjustable it was merely shaped like a CAR stock from side profile - Althoug I dort of like the look of the modded stock too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
https://imgur.com/a/qGG1XIv
I’m your huckleberry.
I’m actually about a day away from getting the first ‘pre-production’ prototype produced as well, I’ve spent around a hundred man hours developing this thing. As I can’t find anyone selling or willing to sell stock bits I’m just gonna sell the brace and the latch together; one is gonna have to cannibalize the spring and plunger from a standard stock but who doesn’t have two or three of those extra sitting around
Funny thing is I was actually planning on making a post about this all tomorrow once my pre-production one is done printing!
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely want to get my hands on some of these^^^^^

@Red_McCloud - Just Incase you have not already thought of it you may want to make up or include some sort of buffer tube adjustment hole block out plugs similar to what SB Tactical sells to avoid any pistol brace maximum length of pull issues since 13.5” is apparently the magic maximum number.

@Red_McCloud - Did you happen to contact Unbranded AR in reference to trying to purchase the stock hardware parts separately?  Unbranded AR is the retail side of the business that the wife (Rocky Harrigan) runs but their primary business that her husband operates is an individual small parts supplier to many major gun manufactures.  You may be able to make a connection through her.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m very interested.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://imgur.com/a/qGG1XIv
I’m your huckleberry.
I’m actually about a day away from getting the first ‘pre-production’ prototype produced as well, I’ve spent around a hundred man hours developing this thing. As I can’t find anyone selling or willing to sell stock bits I’m just gonna sell the brace and the latch together; one is gonna have to cannibalize the spring and plunger from a standard stock but who doesn’t have two or three of those extra sitting around
Funny thing is I was actually planning on making a post about this all tomorrow once my pre-production one is done printing!
View Quote

Great to hear!  Thank you for your effort.

Definitely in for some!
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I am definitely in for three once you get them churning out.  also I would be interested in the file if you decide not to pursue selling them.  need to make a 607 blade.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I was actually thinking of using the featureless stock-locking pin you linked, but it wouldn’t complete the ‘look’. Still, thanks for the links to the 2 other parts, the only issue now is the spring, but I can prooobably find something that’ll work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d be interested in a couple.  Do you an idea on price yet?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I’d be interested in a couple.  Do you an idea on price yet?
View Quote
I consider this to be ‘equivalent’/a competitor to the Blade 2.0 in that it’s able to be easily slipped on a carbine tube with no modification. Those cost around 40-50 a pop. Meanwhile, reproduction 2nd/3rd gen plastic carbine stocks cost anywhere from 40ish to 80ish.
Tldr, I dunno but it won’t be more than most lower end braces, this is meant as an alternative to a repro stock so one doesn’t have to pin-and-weld their barrels.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you plan to send one to the ATF for approval?
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
The ATF only accepts accessories for approval if they’re on a firearm now and I don’t exactly have an AR15 I want to send to a government agency for 7 months waiting for them to state the obvious.
The obvious being braces don’t need explicit approval anymore as the ATF has clarified that what makes a brace a brace is the manufacturer/designer’s intent, and I intended this to be a brace from the get-go. In the last thread some guy modified an old commercial-spec stock to resemble the Shockwave Blade but it was quickly determined that was a no-no as it was intended to be a stock from the factory. SB Tactical and Flux Defense also haven’t gotten explicit approval for their recent braces and yet they’ve been selling them for at least a year or two in SB Tactical’s case (I recently bought one of their braces for testing and unlike their earlier braces it didn’t come with a copy of the ATF approval letter either) and nothing’s happened.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#15]
It curiously looks very "stockish" despite the clear wording that it is not.  Is it flexible?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It curiously looks very "stockish" despite the clear wording that it is not.  Is it flexible?
View Quote
That’s just the cosmetics and it’s not an EXACT replica of the original 2nd gen stocks (dimensions are skewed both due to my lack of caliper-fu and to add credence to the fact I didn’t just take the TDP and shave off the buttplate and call it a brace). I treat this like how Flux Defense differentiates their SBR kits from their brace kits: the brace buttpad has a very definite NOT A STOCK inscribed into it, while the SBR kit is identical save the buttpad has texturing instead of the text. The rear profile is based on that of the Shockwave albeit contoured for a forearm pressing against it on the left or the right, and there is no texturing on the butt whatsoever.
I did try some acetone smoothing on one and it gained considerable flex, but I do not know if that was due to the smoothing process being done correctly or incorrectly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#17]

I also have an alternate design that is much, much more like a blatant copy of the Shockwave, just in case the initial design is too problematic for the ATF somehow (which I heavily doubt will be an issue).
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 3:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
The one on the left looks like you took the one on the right, and added a "Keep your flexible brace from bending while you're not using it" reinforcement.

I think I have a brace now, but haven't seen it yet, so I'm hardly expert.  I realize BATFE was drunk when they approved these in the 1st place, but they sobered up and then got drunk again, but there's no guarantees they won't sober up again.  Personally I wouldn't buy a product from someone who says I really doubt BATFE would have a problem w/ this.  It's not his ass in the sling if you get nicked, now is it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The one on the left looks like you took the one on the right, and added a "Keep your flexible brace from bending while you're not using it" reinforcement.

I think I have a brace now, but haven't seen it yet, so I'm hardly expert.  I realize BATFE was drunk when they approved these in the 1st place, but they sobered up and then got drunk again, but there's no guarantees they won't sober up again.  Personally I wouldn't buy a product from someone who says I really doubt BATFE would have a problem w/ this.  It's not his ass in the sling if you get nicked, now is it?
View Quote
There are quite a few brace products in the market that don't have ATF approval letters. All braces share the same inherent risk - if shoulderable it could be a stock - and  BATFE could change its mind on any/all and may do so in the future.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There are quite a few brace products in the market that don't have ATF approval letters. All braces share the same inherent risk - if shoulderable it could be a stock - and  BATFE could change its mind on any/all and may do so in the future.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Precisely. Which is why I’m not particularly worried. If backbencher wants to backseat ATF, fine, but I’m not outright making a stock and calling it a brace, I’m patterning it off of other braces on the market already. I just wanted to make a good alternative to pinning-and-welding for the retro community, but I’m not trying to flip the bird at the Man while doing so. That’s the job for people like Franklin Armory.
Quoted:

As for the ‘reinforcement’ claim I don’t really know what you’re directly referring to but assume it was one of those ass-headed attempts to slap a buttpad onto a brace and call it a ‘dirt protector’ or some such nonsense. The reason those got slapped down is it was pretty obvious that they were added as a way to try and put texturing onto the butt of the brace, and texturing implies it’s meant to be pushed against something... and that in eyes of the ATF is a big no-no. There’s no texturing on this brace and the shape is contoured to cup your forearm so it doesn’t press against the lever (which would be uncomfortable), similar in usage to the Shockwave (although less garbage).
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:49:42 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a dirty grey line, but the penalties of stepping across it are high.  I'm not hip on every new nuance of brace, albeit I'm aware some are selling w/o Tech Branch letters - I've bought 80% kits w/o Tech Branch letters, and have no issue w/ that.  If you're comfortable w/ it, by all means, just understand the potential risk your customers are taking on the basis of your word that it's not a stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a dirty grey line, but the penalties of stepping across it are high.  I'm not hip on every new nuance of brace, albeit I'm aware some are selling w/o Tech Branch letters - I've bought 80% kits w/o Tech Branch letters, and have no issue w/ that.  If you're comfortable w/ it, by all means, just understand the potential risk your customers are taking on the basis of your word that it's not a stock.
View Quote
I do appreciate the concern.

In other news I’ve managed to print the first non-failed pre-production prototype and it works fantastically. I’m printing them in glossy black PLA+ instead of ABS as ABS is virtually obsolete due to how iffy it is to print and many, many other materials out there that are close enough in strength being miles easier to use like PETG or PLA+. Next stop is printing the latch then some correctly doing acetone smoothing and I’ll then think of selling some.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why bother?

BATFE has no authority to approve or disapprove.

They can only issue an "opinion letter," and the opinion letter is simply how a low level govvie happens to feel about it.

An opinion letter is 100% worthless.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Eka5jEV.png

I also have an alternate design that is much, much more like a blatant copy of the Shockwave, just in case the initial design is too problematic for the ATF somehow (which I heavily doubt will be an issue).
View Quote
The one on the right is way more "blade" like.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Due to the feedback on this thread, I've created an intermediate design that I think will satiate not only myself but those who argue that it doesn't look enough like a brace. This is the bare-minimum I can keep while still keeping the side profile, while also heavily reducing the rear "shoulderable" space. I hope this pleases everyone, because I had already started printing production ones based off the previous design and now I have to reprint some more
Here's a comparison between all three iterations (purple is this one, green is previous, black is the 'coward brace' as I've come to call it bc it sucks lmao).

Oh well, I should have some of these done by the end of the month. Right now I'm prototyping a printed stock pin and nut assembly which so far, if you don't brute-force it, seems to be working great. The first ones will likely come with 'stock lock' kits though as I am still having trouble finding springs.

But hey, if anyone wants to buy the few I've printed of the previous design with their latches sans internal parts, be my guest, they're $20 a pop (I pay shipping) just so I can recoup some of my lost man hours doin' all this
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/xfbCeZS.png
Due to the feedback on this thread, I've created an intermediate design that I think will satiate not only myself but those who argue that it doesn't look enough like a brace. This is the bare-minimum I can keep while still keeping the side profile, while also heavily reducing the rear "shoulderable" space. I hope this pleases everyone, because I had already started printing production ones based off the previous design and now I have to reprint some more
Here's a comparison between all three iterations (purple is this one, green is previous, black is the 'coward brace' as I've come to call it bc it sucks lmao).
https://i.imgur.com/G1kLPCo.png
Oh well, I should have some of these done by the end of the month. Right now I'm prototyping a printed stock pin and nut assembly which so far, if you don't brute-force it, seems to be working great. The first ones will likely come with 'stock lock' kits though as I am still having trouble finding springs.

But hey, if anyone wants to buy the few I've printed of the previous design with their latches sans internal parts, be my guest, they're $20 a pop (I pay shipping) just so I can recoup some of my lost man hours doin' all this
View Quote
IM sent.  Like the design.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Kudos for your initiative....is it problematic to have a sling loop on a pistol though?  I personally don't think so (call it an oversized lanyard point or an aesthetic feature because being on a friction mount alone the blade should itself be unsuitable for slinging?) but BATF can be weird depending on who is in charge at the moment  (which is why we should encourage everyone to exercise their right to vote, especially next year ).
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kudos for your initiative....is it problematic to have a sling loop on a pistol though?  I personally don't think so (call it an oversized lanyard point or an aesthetic feature because being on a friction mount alone the blade should itself be unsuitable for slinging?) but BATF can be weird depending on who is in charge at the moment  (which is why we should encourage everyone to exercise their right to vote, especially next year ).
View Quote
Lots of other braces have sling loops on them.

Shockwave blade for example.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#29]
This is awesome, I'd be interested in 2
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Interested to see the prototype, might be in for one!
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Apologies for the delay, ran out of filament and was trying a new printing method.

I’ve decided to sell these “in the white”, as in devoid of any painting or sanding, as my experiments with a few prototypes looked kind of awful and didn’t come out great at all. However, I think the filament I use does a pretty good job of replicating a similar finish, and you’re free to paint and sand to your heart’s content.
Anyways, the prices are listed as thus:
I have two ‘blemished’ braces that were supposed to be my first production models, but I miscalculated how much filament I had left and ran out at the literal last few layers. As such, the end of these two are open, but otherwise theyre effectively identical. I’m selling them for $15 each as I’m disappointed in myself for not doing the right filament calculations lmao.
The next two are prototypes of the previous intended “production” version, with the larger smoothed buttpad. After a few people voiced their concerns I redesigned the thing, but not after printing two pre-production models of the last design. These are $20 just like before.
Finally there’s the 4 “production”* braces. These are the final (at this stage) product, however, I’m one person with a 3D printer who ain’t even that skilled with it. I rub shoulders with a lot of 3D printed gun groups, and that’s manifested in at least a decent quality print. Every one of these is fitted and cleaned up, but there might be a few dings and scrapes here or there. Price is $30.
All of these include latches and printed stock pins and nuts; all you need to do is supply a spring from a donor stock, like one of those M4 stocks everyone seems to have at least 4 extra of . Like before, I'll deal with the shipping.

PM me if you want em, I’m printing two more right now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#32]
To those who’ve gotten theirs already (I’ve shipped at least 6 of these things and they should be arriving to multiple people), post pics of your builds if you put em on any, I’m intrigued to see how y’all use it!

And to those who want to order more, I’ve got 4 more braces ready to go. Plan to print up to 20ish of em (already lost track lmfao) so get em while they’re hot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#34]
PM sent, I will take one of the final products, Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I put the first one I received (I ordered 3 in total)

It looks great - very retro profile from the side!  This is on a 9mm project.  It looks sooo much better than the modern blade.

" />
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Well done, Red. Looking forward to the final product.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh shit, I want two. How?

ETA email sent
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It looks great - very retro profile from the side!  This is on a 9mm project.  It looks sooo much better than the modern blade.

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/003_zpsp4gyzup6.jpg" target="_blank">https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/003_zpsp4gyzup6.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/003_zpsp4gyzup6.jpg" target="_blank">https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/003_zpsp4gyzup6.jpg
Lovely build! Makes my heart flutter to see my work be appreciated by others to a level they feel comfortable showing them on their builds, thank you!

Quoted:
Oh shit, I want two. How?

ETA email sent
Just message me here, I use PayPal.

Quoted:
Well done, Red. Looking forward to the final product.
This effectively is the final product; if I had the money and access I would’ve injection molded these, but that would’ve raised the price substantially, and leaving them “bare” after some minor clean up allows anyone to paint them however they want.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Red - all done - thank you!
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
That looks really good...…………..I did something similar but used the SB Tactical SBA4
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#41]
The brace arrived today! I have to say that I am quite happy with it.
It fit a little loose on my milspec extension, but I was thrilled to find out that it fit one of my old “oddball’ 3 position extentions!

Really the only thing I might change is the way the lower body is made...having two pieces bonded together by the back piece would be stronger as one piece bonded by the back piece (if I am making  any sense?).

Going out to the range to break this in tomorrow, Thanks Again Red!

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]
That would look great on a 9mm colt clone
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Man, now I wanna do a DOE clone with one of these...

That's a great looking gun.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Cant wait to get mine
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Those turned out really nice.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Got mine yesterday, not a "retro" but I put it on my MK18 Mod 0 clone, looks and feels great. Will definitely get another when I get to my xm177 build.

Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#47]
How well would this thing take paint? Rustoleum plastic type paint or Arvoe? I like it, but I would need it in OD to match my purse!
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Got mine yesterday, not a "retro" but I put it on my MK18 Mod 0 clone, looks and feels great. Will definitely get another when I get to my xm177 build.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49029368727_d4c225c132_o.jpg
View Quote
That's it
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How well would this thing take paint? Rustoleum plastic type paint or Arvoe? I like it, but I would need it in OD to match my purse!
View Quote
I’ve tried to spray paint a few with some Rustoleum, it definitely takes but you gotta be either consistent and do well over four coatings OR absolutely coat the thing so the paint gets into the layers. But if you do that, it actually ends up looking quite nice, especially if the finish is mottled so you can’t see the layers.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The brace arrived today! I have to say that I am quite happy with it.
It fit a little loose on my milspec extension, but I was thrilled to find out that it fit one of my old “oddball’ 3 position extentions!

Really the only thing I might change is the way the lower body is made...having two pieces bonded together by the back piece would be stronger as one piece bonded by the back piece (if I am making  any sense?).

Going out to the range to break this in tomorrow, Thanks Again Red!

https://i.ibb.co/ZBCLXPk/5321-EFD4-CB8-B-49-C1-8-C65-77483677-F798.jpg
View Quote
The looseness was on purpose, originally the things fit hilariously tight and the tolerancing was either that or slightly loose, so I chose slightly loose just to make sure it fit right every time, instead of it having to be ‘smoothed out’ by being played with for quite a bit.

Holy hell, though, everyone’s builds look great and I’m quite flattered by the reception! I’ve got about two left out of 15 I printed (planned to do 20 originally but decided against it due to being quite sick of dealing with the post office for the time being lmao) so if anybody wants them, you know where I am.
I’m already getting ideas for a ‘Mk2’ version based off some feedback, too, soooooo...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top