Page / 2
Posted: 5/24/2019 9:48:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!

I'm also glad I was finally able to backorder some black XM16E1 lowers recently, thank you for that. I have a few gray Nodaks, but I wanted to build a few "shooters" and it's much easier sourcing black parts than gray. In fact, one of these stocks will be just what I need.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Wish it was aluminum, but at least it will fit better now than the one that came on my XM.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Good on Brownells and B5 System!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I lucked out and sold my colt N1 for a stupendously price last week. Now I can replace it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good on Brownells and B5 System!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]
This might sound crazy - but is there anyway Brownells could make a retro-looking "blade" or "brace" that better resembles this retro stock?

I know the braces and blades must have certain features - but it seems like just a little bit of effort on shape and external appearance could accommodate retro pistol fans.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice,glad to see this!!
thanks Brownells
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
For the uninformed (me ), how does the Brownells compare to the M&A Parts carbine stock?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For the uninformed (me ), how does the Brownells compare to the M&A Parts carbine stock?
View Quote
Well, it looks to have the correct style roll pinned nut for the adjustment pin.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/MA-Parts-CAR-stock-issue/127-739366/
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks like the Brownell's has the proper toe angle.

I'm nearly tempted to buy one just to compare it to my M&A.
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 5:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Looks like the Brownell's has the proper toe angle.

I'm nearly tempted to buy one just to compare it to my M&A.
View Quote
Yup, that's the first thing I noticed. Looks like an exact copy of the N1 from the picture. Wonder if there are any markings under the latch.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This might sound crazy - but is there anyway Brownells could make a retro-looking "blade" or "brace" that better resembles this retro stock?

I know the braces and blades must have certain features - but it seems like just a little bit of effort on shape and external appearance could accommodate retro pistol fans.
View Quote
Your post made me think about butchering up an N1 (or one of these clones) and trying to make one that fit the parameters for a blade myself, but the general consensus on the forums seems to be the ATF will shoot your dog if you do anything without a letter. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get a retro blade out of an N1 base by removing the surface area on the back which normally sits on ones shoulder and pinning it in place.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I'm going to go against the grain slightly.

I like the new butstock, but at $35-40, I have an issue.

They just recently had commercial tube ones that were $20-25.  I get that they may not have been 100% correct for cloners, but I have commercial tubes that I still would like to put CAR looking stocks on.  By discontinuing the commercial and cheaper stocks, I'm going to have to go somewhere else since these are for cheap range guns and I'm not creating super-correct clones.

I'm going to link the old listing here--no idea how long they will leave it up.

Brownell's, if you are reading this, please IM me f you have a couple of the old commercial ones floating around the warehouse at the old price!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/m4-xm177-car-buttstock-commercial-prod109897.aspx?psize=96
078-000-374WB M4 XM177 CAR Buttstock Commercial Black
Mfr Part: F1003691

Discontinued by Brownells View Alternatives
Product has been discontinued and no longer available.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I was going to come over to Grinnell for the 80th anniversary shindig this Saturday. You got these in the store?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody know the weight?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anybody know the weight?
View Quote
If it’s the same weight as the original, it should be around 4.5 oz.
Nice SRA avatar btw.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...trying to make one that fit the parameters for a blade myself... general consensus...ATF will shoot your dog if you do anything without a letter.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to get a retro blade out of an N1 base by removing the surface area on the back which normally sits on ones shoulder and pinning it in place.
View Quote
At great risk of sidetracking, I will keep my comments brief:

1) BATFE Opinion Letters are worthless. It's just some the opinion of whatever govvie gets assigned to respond. Ask again, get a different guy, get a different opinion- just as worthless WRT law or justice.

2) BATFE is not issuing any more Opinion Letters for anything that is not attached to a complete, working firearm.

3) There are not "parameters" or guidelines to follow- it depends on how you claim to "design" it*. I design all my CAR and M4 type braces to be fired with a Velcro brand cord-keeper from Walmart through the slots, and strapped to my forearm. In practice though, I fire from the shoulder.

*This is exactly how the SBA3 is sold today- no BATFE Opinion Letter issued, "We designed it as a brace."
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Well who has one that they would like to provide a review on? Fit would be the most important aspect to me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your post made me think about butchering up an N1 (or one of these clones) and trying to make one that fit the parameters for a blade myself, but the general consensus on the forums seems to be the ATF will shoot your dog if you do anything without a letter. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get a retro blade out of an N1 base by removing the surface area on the back which normally sits on ones shoulder and pinning it in place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a spare clone stock and I'm gonna sacrifice it in the name of retro collectors everywhere to see what a proper retro brace could look like. Pics will be posted to this thread tomorrow night. Stay tuned.......
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok, I'm going to go against the grain slightly.

I like the new butstock, but at $35-40, I have an issue.

They just recently had commercial tube ones that were $20-25.  I get that they may not have been 100% correct for cloners, but I have commercial tubes that I still would like to put CAR looking stocks on.  By discontinuing the commercial and cheaper stocks, I'm going to have to go somewhere else since these are for cheap range guns and I'm not creating super-correct clones.

I'm going to link the old listing here--no idea how long they will leave it up.

Brownell's, if you are reading this, please IM me f you have a couple of the old commercial ones floating around the warehouse at the old price!

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/buttstocks/m4-xm177-car-buttstock-commercial-prod109897.aspx?psize=96
078-000-374WB M4 XM177 CAR Buttstock Commercial Black
Mfr Part: F1003691

Discontinued by Brownells View Alternatives
Product has been discontinued and no longer available.
https://cdn-us-ec.yottaa.net/53ff2f503c881650e20004c9/www.brownells.com/v~4b.103/userdocs/products/p_078000374_2.jpg?yocs=p_&yoloc=us
View Quote
A guy over on AK Files is selling a CAR-15 stock for $30; I asked him to send me some pics and answer if it is a mil-spec or commercial-spec. He only sent pics, and comparing it to the photo of the discontinued Brownells commercial stock, it appears to be the same. Mold lines, rough appearance, no tube reinforcements. Almost appears to be Airsoft quality, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A guy over on AK Files is selling a CAR-15 stock for $30; I asked him to send me some pics and answer if it is a mil-spec or commercial-spec. He only sent pics, and comparing it to the photo of the discontinued Brownells commercial stock, it appears to be the same. Mold lines, rough appearance, no tube reinforcements. Almost appears to be Airsoft quality, IMHO.
View Quote
Thanks Guys.  OpusProxy has an extra he offered me.

I guess to refine my point a bit, Brownells is offering a mil spec for nearly double the price of the commercial spec, and discontinuing the commercial spec stock.  While I completely agree the mil spec is more correct, I wish they would continue to offer both.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks Guys.  OpusProxy has an extra he offered me.

I guess to refine my point a bit, Brownells is offering a mil spec for nearly double the price of the commercial spec, and discontinuing the commercial spec stock.  While I completely agree the mil spec is more correct, I wish they would continue to offer both.
View Quote
The commercial stock probably wasn't selling in sufficient numbers leading to the lower price and discontinuance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I've got a spare clone stock and I'm gonna sacrifice it in the name of retro collectors everywhere to see what a proper retro brace could look like. Pics will be posted to this thread tomorrow night. Stay tuned.......
View Quote
I will be patiently waiting, interested as well
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is where I'm at now. Most of the chopping is done. I figure about an hour with some sandpaper and a small file to smooth the rough edges and thin out the area around the buffer tube and it will look great. I think it still retains the retro look quite well and should legally qualify as a brace and not a stock.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok crappy iPhone pics.

Top is a Colt N, the Brownells is middle, and the bottom is from TNTE.

The Brownells fits the same as the Colt on the Colt RE.

The “B” stamp under the latch.

I’ve only had the stock a couple of days, no range time yet.  It has a flat finish and appears to be as well made as the original. May be better depending on the materials.

Yes there is a roll pin in the latch.

First impressions are good. I would get another if needed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool thanks I think I will try one out
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think it still retains the retro look quite well and should legally qualify as a brace and not a stock.
View Quote
What do you think you accomplished there?

It was "legally qualified" as a brace as soon as you added the velcro and designed it that way.

There is no law that says a brace can't collapse, a brace can't fold, a brace must be cheeked, arm must touch the entire RE, butt face must be smaller than the end of the RE (yours is not... but don't worry).

Everything the Internet is chumping on is just the opinion of a low-level govvie, who works for the Executive Branch, who reviewed a similar product and documented his (worthless in court) opinion.

Ask again and you'll get a different guy with a different opinion.
(Actually... don't ask again.)
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#35]
ordered one
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
As originally designed its sold as a stock.
Now with the flat surface at the rear removed it is inline with other items sold as a brace.

Seems simple enough.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It was "legally qualified" as a brace as soon as you added the velcro and designed it that way.

There is no law that says a brace can't collapse, a brace can't fold, a brace must be cheeked, arm must touch the entire RE, butt face must be smaller than the end of the RE (yours is not... but don't worry).

Everything the Internet is chumping on is just the opinion of a low-level govvie, who works for the Executive Branch, who reviewed a similar product and documented his (worthless in court) opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it still retains the retro look quite well and should legally qualify as a brace and not a stock.

Don't think slapping velcro on a stock makes it a brace. Take velcro off it becomes a stock again. Modding the rear enough to make it uncomfortable to shoulder, and roughly 10% different than the OE stock ( how to measure 10% that is ). I would square up the bottom add a slot and actually feed the velro through existing one on top and the one added on the bottom. The Velcro would then be squared off.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#38]
M and A parts sells a similar “mil spec” stock for $25

Ordered one about 6 months ago and I have been happy with it for the price.

M and A Parts stock

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't think slapping velcro on a stock makes it a brace. Take velcro off it becomes a stock again. Modding the rear enough to make it uncomfortable to shoulder, and roughly 10% different than the OE stock ( how to measure 10% that is ). I would square up the bottom add a slot and actually feed the velro through existing one on top and the one added on the bottom. The Velcro would then be squared off.
View Quote
I think the fact that I can take the velcro strap off my SOB47 brace and it doesn't become a stock kinda defeats that first statement. With stuff like braces, it's all about the manufacturer's intent. The guy's hackjob is rough but if the intent was to make a brace, he made a brace.
But at the very least, it DOES need some major cleaning up (like sanding off the texturing on the back and cleaning up the edges). The rear should look more like a Shockwave Blade if one wants to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think the fact that I can take the velcro strap off my SOB47 stock and it doesn't become a stock kinda defeats that first statement. With stuff like braces, it's all about the manufacturer's intent. The guy's hackjob is rough but if the intent was to make a brace, he made a brace.
But at the very least, it DOES need some major cleaning up (like sanding off the texturing on the back and cleaning up the edges). The rear should look more like a Shockwave Blade if one wants to be safe.
View Quote
Would taking off the strap and firing said pistol, be modifying the brace? ATF not happy?. I wasn't referring to the hackjob (which actually looks OK and Retro). If you just slap the velcro on the stock, with no mods, as another posted suggested, one might be in trouble.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Almost finished. I just have to knock down the checkering on what used to be the buttplate and try to blend the sides in a bit more. Directly below the first picture is a shockwave brace, I'm trying to make my brace look like this from the rear so there's no mistaking this as a brace. This will be a much better looking brace for a retro pistol than an sba3, and less than 1/3 the cost of one too.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't think slapping velcro on a stock makes it a brace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't think slapping velcro on a stock makes it a brace.
Don't tell me- tell SB Tactical and everyone in the world who purchased their product... because that's exactly what they did.

it uncomfortable to shoulder, and roughly 10% different than the OE stock ( how to measure 10% that is ).
LOL- is that the standard, Professor? I could BS my way into 10%... but it wouldn't make a difference because "the 10% rule of bracing" is something you just made up out of thin air. I'd be more interested in how you intend to measure "uncomfortable."

The important word is "designed," which is why I design every sliding-end-piece in my collection as a brace as soon as it touches the buffer tube. Velcro can be installed or not installed on a brace, it doesn't change anything (see- Shockwave Blade). A can of A&W Root beer inside an SB tactical brace does not change anything. Sliding or folding the brace does not change anything. Cheeking or shouldering the brace does not change anything.

If it makes you happy to mutilate your stocks, then I'm not mad (until you start chopping up original stuff). Do whatever makes you happy, or feel safe.

We all enjoy as much Liberty as we allow ourselves to.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#45]
that looks great, I wish the shockwave two was exactly this so much retro pistol potential.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#46]
I just snagged an identical Taiwanese one from someone for $5,spring buffer and all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't tell me- tell SB Tactical and everyone in the world who purchased their product... because that's exactly what they did.

LOL- is that the standard, Professor? I could BS my way into 10%... but it wouldn't make a difference because "the 10% rule of bracing" is something you just made up out of thin air. I'd be more interested in how you intend to measure "uncomfortable."

The important word is "designed," which is why I design every sliding-end-piece in my collection as a brace as soon as it touches the buffer tube. Velcro can be installed or not installed on a brace, it doesn't change anything (see- Shockwave Blade). A can of A&W Root beer inside an SB tactical brace does not change anything. Sliding or folding the brace does not change anything. Cheeking or shouldering the brace does not change anything.

If it makes you happy to mutilate your stocks, then I'm not mad (until you start chopping up original stuff). Do whatever makes you happy, or feel safe.

We all enjoy as much Liberty as we allow ourselves to.
View Quote
Dr Stupid Says:

The "10% rule of bracing" (vague, yes and it may have been as high as 20%) was an old accepted manufacturing standard to make a foreign made base product a US made product (example back in the 90s -- bike frames from overseas had 10% finishing operations here and then labeled US made) , and to copy an existing product and sell as a new product. It also made a product enough different from a Trademark, or Copyrighted item to sell w/o being sued. Manufacturing rules applied/still apply to everything that was/is manufactured.

If the above poster had not done any mods to the stock other than adding velcro, the device in question, was originally designed as a stock, which now has a velcro strap on it. If the strap is removed it is a stock, w/o a velcro strap on it. If the poster had built the base stock himself, added the strap, then maybe he designed it as a brace...

By removing enough material (hacking) from the originally designed as a stock, stock, (very nice work by the way), you can say that it is now a "designed as a brace" device w/ or w/o the velcro. Unless ATF applies the once a machinegun always a machine gun standard... Or the slidefire wasn't but now is... Or.... ... right of the people to...shall not be infringed. (a real period but no one cares). Last I checked SBR's, select fire R's, machine guns were Arms (and they are even used by a millitia). Exercise all the Freedom you desire but be aware the Machine may grind you into the dust as a result.

Freedom? Liberty?  Right? Wrong? That died along time ago and was replaced with our current Shitshow.  I HOPE IT MAKES A COMEBACK Until it does we remain in WTF World and I can't find my donuts
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Almost finished. I just have to knock down the checkering on what used to be the buttplate and try to blend the sides in a bit more. Directly below the first picture is a shockwave brace, I'm trying to make my brace look like this from the rear so there's no mistaking this as a brace. This will be a much better looking brace for a retro pistol than an sba3, and less than 1/3 the cost of one too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66729/2019-06-06_23_13_49_jpg-971366.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66729/KAK-SHKWV-BLK-2M_02_jpg-971371.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66729/2019-06-06_23_12_33_jpg-971367.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66729/2019-06-06_23_12_45_jpg-971368.JPG
View Quote
Absolutely wonderful work, that’s exactly what I meant by ‘make the back look more like a shockwave’. I wish the CAD files were available for this kind of stock, cuz then I could’ve whipped up a brace variant in an hour and ended all this ‘is a brace, is not a brace’ nonsense.
Somebody could try to get Brownells on the horn and point out this concept to them, with how the newest braces are coming out, and how this is all on manufacturer’s intent... they could just modify theirs from the factory as braces and then we can have threaded barrel XM177s??
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The "10% rule of bracing"... back in the 90s -- bike frames from overseas had 10% finishing operations...

Freedom? Liberty?  Right? Wrong? That died along time ago...
View Quote
Homey... I was just poking fun at you, but you just clowned yourself HARD.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Just keeping it technical, hate clowns,

and today really is National Donut day
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top