Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2019 9:28:44 PM EDT
After about 70 rounds downrange today with no issues, then this happened....

Attachment Attached File
. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fortunately, my son was wearing eye protection and not directly holding the mag while shooting.
Other than a sore hand and a small abrasion on his cheek, no injuries.

The gun, of course, was done for the day.

Obviously, the Bolt Carrier is toast.  The Bolt is probably damaged also.  I haven't managed to get it apart yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh no!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch! That hurts.

Glad everyone is safe and sound though.

Any theories as to the cause? Overcharge maybe? Never seen that big of a chunk blown out of a bolt before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like an  out of battery detonation. I have seen that happen on an AR-15. It blew out the mag and ruined the ejector, but no other damage...Bill
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh wow. Just glad nobody was injured.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's some of the debris along with a round that might have been in the magazine.

Those pieces were in the upper receiver.  The bullet wasn't in the barrel and wasn't found.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Mist importantly, I'm glad your son is OK. Was the ammo factory ammo, or reloads?  I have seen three weapons blow up, and all of them were with reloads.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Ugh...another AR-180 set sail for Valhalla!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad he is safe. Sorry that that happened! Looks like it was out of battery?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If it was out of battery the firing pin wouldn't even be able to hit the primer... right? It's an inertial firing pin held back with a spring, shouldn't be able to touch the primer until it's fully locked, I thought.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow!

Like everyone else, I’m curious about ammo type.

I’m glad the shooter was okay.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn,  are there any bulges to the upper and lower receivers?

I have seen on GB that an AR180 BCG listed but not sure if it is still on there.  Then again, it could have been a listing for a B series BCG.

I would try see if Rick on AR180S.com has extras or a lead for an original.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I suspect the cam pin jumped out of its guide and allowed the bolt to turn. That has been known to happen and will allow it to fire out of battery.

You would need to check it out very well even with a new parts to make sure it won’t happen again.

Good thing is most problems with the receiver, other than a trunion, that get messed up can be fixed. Big hammer and a tig welder can put her back in service. Although it may not look pretty when you are done.

Contact me through my site and we can figure out whatcha need to it fixed.

Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I would also like to see pics of the trunion locking lugs. Might give us some clues.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow!

Like everyone else, I’m curious about ammo type.

I’m glad the shooter was okay.
View Quote
I'll post some more pictures soon.  I did get the Bolt out of the Carrier.

As for the Ammo used, I learned a few years ago that it's foolish to save a few cents with cheap reload ammo.

I had a Colt 1911 that I was shooting cheap gun show ammo through at the range one day and the Range Officer commented on how much smoke it was making.  The very next round wouldn't chamber.  So I put the gun back in my bag and gave him my remaining rounds.  He said his Glock would eat anything.  I hope it did.

When I got home, I pulled the gun apart and found the last bullet still in the barrel.  The reason the next round wouldn't chamber was because that bullet had only travelled a short distance and was blocking the end of the chamber.
If it had travelled just a little bit further, I could only imagine how that gun would have fragmented in my hands if the next round went off normally.  Thankfully, that was left to my imagination only.

So anyway, all my ammunition is first load stuff since then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't find any damage to the Lower.

This is the only damage I could see on the Upper:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nothing that I can see here:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
The Bolt Carrier fragment deposited itself inside the lower.

Attachment Attached File

Bolt and Cam Pin.  The Cam Pin was damaged, but I think the Bolt looks good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Frontier ammo has been linked to a few kabooms lately. I thought I’d mention that just in case.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
When you get some new parts I think you will see that the cam pin has very little engagement with the guide. A custom pin that is longer should fix you right up.

I can clearly see where it jumped out of the guide. It wasn't locked when it dropped the hammer.

The fact that early Costa Mesa guns used an AR-18 firing pin could have contributed to this malfunction. If the hammer dropped and the bolt carrier was not all the way forward but the bolt was all the way back, it can still contact the tail of the firing pin. I don't think it could do that with a later 180 firing pin.

I'd be happy to help you get this fixed and would love to pics of your gun on my site.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When you get some new parts I think you will see that the cam pin has very little engagement with the guide. A custom pin that is longer should fix you right up.

I can clearly see where it jumped out of the guide. It wasn't locked when it dropped the hammer.

The fact that early Costa Mesa guns used an AR-18 firing pin could have contributed to this malfunction. If the hammer dropped and the bolt carrier was not all the way forward but the bolt was all the way back, it can still contact the tail of the firing pin. I don't think it could do that with a later 180 firing pin.

I'd be happy to help you get this fixed and would love to pics of your gun on my site.
View Quote
@BigRix do you have a photo of an AR18 firing pin alongside an AR180 firing pin?  If one (or more) of my AR180's have AR18 firing pins, can I/should I, swap them out for AR180 firing pins?
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Closest thing I could find was this comparison of the 18, Early Howa, and standard production 180 pins.

I would not replace the 18 style pin but rather double check how much engagement your cam pin has.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Ar-180 firing pin in the rear, Ar-18 in front

-Josh
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:13:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know why so many people jump to OOB firing when it's usually case head separation.

Some brass just has imperfections in it and doesn't get caught.

What type of ammo was it?

I see Winchester head stamps but maybe I missed the details of the ammo.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:17:26 AM EDT
[#23]
case head separations occur when fully in battery, not out of battery.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know why so many people jump to OOB firing when it's usually case head separation.
View Quote
If a case head separated, how would the powder ignite?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If a case head separated, how would the powder ignite?
View Quote
The case head seperates AFTER the powder ignites.  Original WWII MP44 kurz ammo has a bad tendancy of doing that (I've had it happen three times).
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:54:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ar-180 firing pin in the rear, Ar-18 in front

https://i.imgur.com/47gAnch.jpg

-Josh
View Quote
and this is the Firing Pin that was in the gun when it malfunctioned.

I hadn't noticed that divot on that shoulder until looking at this photo.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
that divot on the shoulder most likely happened during the out of battery detonation when the firing pin was blown bac violently.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread has inspired me to inspect my Sterling AR-180....  appreciate all the details everyone is providing
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm glad that no one got hurt in this incident with the KABOOM.  Thanks OP for posting and sharing all the photos and the experience.  I have two AR-180 (Costa Mesa and Sterling) and I would hate if that would happen with any of them.  All the best.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm glad that no one got hurt in this incident with the KABOOM.  Thanks OP for posting and sharing all the photos and the experience.  I have two AR-180 (Costa Mesa and Sterling) and I would hate if that would happen with any of them.  All the best.
View Quote
Thanks Mauiblue (and everyone else!).

The damage seems to be isolated to just a few parts.  So I'm hoping to find replacements and be back in business.  Any help along those lines would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This thread has inspired me to inspect my Sterling AR-180....  appreciate all the details everyone is providing
View Quote
I shall do the same.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:55:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been seeing parts for AR-180 on Gunbroker.  Check them out.  I was fortunate to have a small cache of main parts for my AR-180 rifles that I was given from the previous owner.  Also Bigrix might be able to help you get the parts you need to get the gun running again.  Good luck and be safe.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
If I were to guess, it looks to me like the bolt carrier broke first. That would allow the bolt to fully close but not lock. I think it would act like an out of battery by firing on an unlocked bolt.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top