Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 3:38:55 PM EDT
601 build in progress.

The lower still needs to be milled out and will be getting another coat of Norrell's Moly Resin in Grayish Flat-Black (the first coat went on too "wet" which results in too much gloss and imparts a slight brownish/greenish tint - which is great if you are trying to mimic parkerizing, not so good to mimic grey anodizing).  The first coat has been sanded back a little and its ready for re-coat.

The upper is an SP1 upper that has been reprofiled by Braceman to look like a 601 (The "R" and arrow removed from the windage wheel area, forging flash removed from the inside of the carry handle, proof marks removed, and area over the charging handle reprofiled).  The upper was refinished in Norrell's and turned out perfect (this is what I was shooting for with the lower finish).  The rear sight is a repro.  The triangular charging handle is a repro.  The ejection port cover is a repro.  The bolt carrier group is a Colt chrome slickside.

The barrel is a Green Mountain barrel (barrel work by JT).  The FSB has been reprofiled (forging flash and proof marks removed).  The flash hider lock washer is an old knurled washer.  The duckbill flash hider is a repro.

The stock is an original 601 Type B stock.  The grip is an original 601 grip.  The handguards are a set of black triangular handguards repainted to match the mottled brown of the 601 fiberlite material, masked in "wear" areas with paste wax, sprayed green, and subjected to some rough handling.

The "waffle" magazine is a repro.

This is one of two 601 builds I have in progress.  The other one has all original furniture, with a 601 Type A stock.  It will also have a real 601 upper receiver (on the way).
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks real nice
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
2 thumbs up..
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking great so far!!  Can't wait to see the original upper one as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Great looking build.  Stay tuned, I’ve got 4x 601 builds in the works right now.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great looking build.  Stay tuned, I’ve got 4x 601 builds in the works right now.
View Quote
It's an addiction.  Currently I've got two 601 builds, a 605 build, a 607 build, a 609 build, two prototype builds, and a 609-ish 300 BLK carbine in the works.  I have some parts that are starting to look like a 604 may spontaneously happen at some point.  Just finished a 5.56 609-ish carbine and two M16A1 rifles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great! I’ve got a green and a brown one. They are like candy, you can’t just have one...
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's an addiction.  Currently I've got two 601 builds, a 605 build, a 607 build, a 609 build, two prototype builds, and a 609-ish 300 BLK carbine in the works.  I have some parts that are starting to look like a 604 may spontaneously happen at some point.  Just finished a 5.56 609-ish carbine and two M16A1 rifles.
View Quote
Oh don’t get me started. I’ve got 2-3 prototypes I’m working on and 4x 601s. It was three rifles until I stumbled across a part that has a serial number on it . One is a #106 clone, which will probably be mostly new manufactured parts but will have some original stuff, I’m thinking I want to make one a black law enforcement 601, and then the other two will pretty much be completely original other than the lowers, one of them only half the lower won’t be original. I’ve also got a 602 build I’m working on, an early XM, a late XM, a 605, all in addition to the rifles I already do have lol. Yes, it is a disease. I love it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks really really good! I am amazed those handguards are repros. I would almost leave the upper and lower as they are now with some wear and not recoat them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where's the Delft scope? Tell me more about the lower receiver front halfs.
View Quote
I want a Delft, but right now I can't justify spending $4,000 on the only one I've found.  The demils are 2x early XMs and 2x M16A1s.  That picture was pretty much showing everything special I had.  That picture has 2x 601s at the top, a 602, the to be 605 barrel, and my very early SP-1 upper.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I want a Delft, but right now I can't justify spending $4,000 on the only one I've found.  The demils are 2x early XMs and 2x M16A1s.  That picture was pretty much showing everything special I had.  That picture has 2x 601s at the top, a 602, the to be 605 barrel, and my very early SP-1 upper.
View Quote
I have always been tempted to build multiple 601’s but am happy with the 1. I just tried to get every piece and amount of paper I could get with it! Been collecting the black furniture just to have as well. Still need the dang semi auto dimpled selector though....
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have always been tempted to build multiple 601’s but am happy with the 1. I just tried to get every piece and amount of paper I could get with it! Been collecting the black furniture just to have as well. Still need the dang semi auto dimpled selector though....
View Quote
Right.  Yours is nice (w/ the demilled receiver.)  Soon, I will have one to match .  I wanted to do 2x 601s initially.  I had 80%s engraved by John Brace in the low 1000s serial range (for my birthday and my fathers birthday), but then I wanted to do a brown clone as well (#106 being the coolest brown 601 of all).  When I obtained the demil, I pretty much said, "Welp, guess now I HAVE to have four of them."  I'm gonna look around for some black 601 furniture to at least have some differentiation.  The serial on my demil is higher in the range.

EDIT:

Here’s pics of the demils that were asked about. My 4 plus a friends that asked me to send his in with mine
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And since we are talking about 601s, here are the 80%s I’m talking about. Can anybody identify the one mistake on them? Not worth fixing but now you know I could never try to pawn them off as real (which would also require committing a felony to have the fun switch). . I believe @M16Indiana has a keen eye for the mistake I’m talking about.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2 thumbs up..
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's the Delft scope? Tell me more about the lower receiver front halfs.
How's the 602 coming along?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much have everything, just need to get around to milling out the lowers when I get home, anodizing and then putting it all together.  Same for the two 601s
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pretty much have everything, just need to get around to milling out the lowers when I get home, anodizing and then putting it all together.  Same for the two 601s
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!!  Can't wait to see it!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was it you that has/had a 602 made from an SP-1 and are now breaking it down or is that somebody else?  If you want some detailed pics of my specific upper, shoot me an email and I'll send them to you.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

...Can anybody identify the one mistake on them?...
View Quote
I think I’m not seeing an apostrophe. Is that what you're talking about?

ETA: Added a picture that shows "COLT'S" has an apostrophe in it that I can't detect on your lowers. Maybe it's there on yours, but I just can't see it.

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya, it’s the “FIRE ARMS”  and not “FIREARMS”
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an original 601 BCG and fat head pin.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have an original 601 BCG and fat head pin.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/168134/2m6nns_jpg-733742.JPG
View Quote
EXACTLY
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
My two started with one green grip I found in a parts bin...
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Today I purchased the most beautiful four piece stock set (type A stock, both hand guards & grip) that I have ever seen, along with a box of other 601 parts, so It looks like I will be building a couple of more myself, lol
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice rifle. My all original except lower 601 and 602 are my favorite rifles.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I really wish this thread had not shown up.
( Just kidding )
Now, it is time to start digging in boxes again…….

I have a few rifles that I put together years ago that I can get some of the original parts off for a 601 and 602 build.
(swapping parts around is fun, I use completed rifles to store parts on. It is better than storing parts in boxes)

(still gathering parts for the early prototype build, got a flat ring coming from JB this week)

Now to get some early charging handles from NDS and some more rear sight parts.
(I will get an extra one for just in case. )
There is no known cure for this illness that I know of.

Thanks for all the pictures...…….and all the help...……….

Ron
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Looking good so far.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was it you that has/had a 602 made from an SP-1 and are now breaking it down or is that somebody else?  If you want some detailed pics of my specific upper, shoot me an email and I'll send them to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I was the guy lucky enough to score an NOS 602 upper. Here is the archived thread I started when I finished it this last March.  The only difference now is that she has an original 601 bolt catch, unmodified 601 buffer tube and original milled firing pin retaining pin now. She only now needs an original many circles mag button and original 601 style charging handle and she's as close as she's gonna get.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/My-grail-gun-build-is-done-Here-is-my-602-/123-725908/
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#29]
The second 601 in progress.  All furniture is original.  The upper receiver is original.  Like the first one, the lower is going to get another coat of Norrell's because it came out too shiny.

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The second 601 in progress.  All furniture is original.  The upper receiver is original.  Like the first one, the lower is going to get another coat of Norrell's because it came out too shiny.

http://i65.tinypic.com/xgfjvo.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vuwpiv.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/wam4ci.jpg
View Quote
Man, this stock would look great with those hand guards...

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nope. I was the guy lucky enough to score an NOS 602 upper. Here is the archived thread I started when I finished it this last March.  The only difference now is that she has an original 601 bolt catch, unmodified 601 buffer tube and original milled firing pin retaining pin now. She only now needs an original many circles mag button and original 601 style charging handle and she's as close as she's gonna get.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/My-grail-gun-build-is-done-Here-is-my-602-/123-725908/
View Quote
Ahh, I see. This is the one I was talking about. Your rifle is very nice.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Re-coated with Norrell's today.  Still has the shiny parkerized look that you get when you do Norrell's grey wrong.  I have a 607 lower being fitted for a stock, I will probably wait to try again with the two 601's until it is time to spray Norrell's on the 607.  Going to leave them alone for now, at least they're functional.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
601s are so badass.  My favorite of all retro.

Very nice rifles.

ARKAR
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top