Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2018 9:26:03 PM EDT
I always thought doing a 602 the right way would be practically impossible. Finding a 602 upper let alone finding one with the original VP 12 attached seemed like a pipe dream. I was ready to go for a 601 build then.......about a year ago I was on the facebook page of ar15.com where a young gentleman was asking how much his 602 upper was worth and the rest is history. After much persistence I acquired the upper last August. I did a thread on the upper when I got it so I won't go into details but I believe the upper was never part of an issued gun. It's in mint shape with the barrel gauging new on a USGI non chrome bore ME gauge and the rifling is perfect. There is barely any internal wear on the upper. I think it was just factory proof fired. Thanks goes out to Boywonder, Heatnbeat, John Thomas, US Anodizing, Braceman, Nodak Spud and M16Indiana for their service and support. Here is a break down of the parts with repros noted:

*Colt 602 upper with VP 12 barrel/cast FSB, magnetic stainless steel gas tube and early style door. Handguards are no drain hole Type D (I'd love to find a mint set of Type C's that would compliment the gun). Charging handle is a Nodak repro.
*Colt 3/4 round carrier with Colt thin band MP bolt. NOS flat head firing pin with a repro firing pin retaining pin. (Boywonder)
*Type C stock with edgewater buffer, no drain hole screw, 602 grip with 601 screw
*Lower is a Nodak that was a 80% milled out by me using a 5D Tactical jig and anodized by US Anodizing. Engraving done by Braceman with serial number in the very low 20k range with flashing removed and bolt release boss rounded.
*601 fire control group neutered by John Thomas (Retro Arms Works)
*601 bolt release and many circles mag button courtesy of Heatnbeat
*original 601 sling
*waffle mag is a Brownells repro.

Here are the pictures..........sorry if some are redundant.

Who needs forge flashing?

Here she is with her younger brother.

Link Posted: 3/31/2018 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow just wow! Puts my 602 to shame. You did it right sir
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Very well done
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I love it, great work Op. I esp like the slab side.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful!  
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Incredible! Wow, that is a  REAL thing of beauty. Really makes me want to attempt one!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Well played Sir, well played!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Real nice

The 602 owners club with original barreled uppers is pretty exclusive!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 10:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That is, I'm pretty sure, the cleanest 02 upper I've seen.
Great build, from Type C to 3-prong!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thing of beauty, great job! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Great build!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Real nice

The 602 owners club with original barreled uppers is pretty exclusive!
View Quote
Thanks for all the compliments gents. I've been into AR/M16's since 1982 and probably into the old school stuff for about 10 years now. I first got turned onto the 602 model here on arfcom and in 10 years of scouring retro parts I have never seen an original 602 barreled upper for sale besides this one. Actually....I've only seen the uppers for sale but never the VP 12 barrel. Timing is everything and being in the right place at the right time counts. I'm on vacation this week and just got some M16A1 25 meter zeroing targets. I'll be heading out to zero her properly along with my early 604 with some IMI M193 one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent build Tazaroo.

I came across a nearly completed 602 years ago, or I never would have been able to put one of these together.

"... bolt release boss rounded..."  That's an often overlooked detail.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 12:56:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Very nice!  Mine is about the same, but my upper and barrel, although correct, did not come together.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 3:32:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
That rifle is a thing of beauty.  Are you going to replace the few non original parts with real ones, or do you consider it finished?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Very excellent build! Most people don't go to the trouble of doing the mods to the upper to make it a true 602, much less find a beautiful original upper like yours! I think all you need is a dimpled sight screw
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That rifle is a thing of beauty.  Are you going to replace the few non original parts with real ones, or do you consider it finished?
View Quote
Thanks. Maybe not necessarily finished but I'm very content with it. Basically to get it "perfect" I would need an original charging handle, milled firing pin retaining pin, original many circles mag button and original 601 bolt release. Right there that is another $600 to $700 so I guess if the parts present themselves at a reasonable price I might go for it. I'm definitely more interested in getting the upper totally proper (Type C handguards, charging handle and original milled retaining pin) than worrying about the receiver small parts. I hate to say it but I'm done with builds unless I fall into some crazy parts stash for a good price. I have a amazing Hydra, very early 604 and now this 602 so I'm content and the prices for original parts are nuts lately. I'am perfecting my XM177 (my first build from 8 years ago) so probably later this year once I get the barrel reprofiled I'll post a family picture of the whole gang.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks. Maybe not necessarily finished but I'm very content with it. Basically to get it "perfect" I would need an original charging handle, milled firing pin retaining pin, original many circles mag button and original 601 bolt release. Right there that is another $600 to $700 so I guess if the parts present themselves at a reasonable price I might go for it. I'm definitely more interested in getting the upper totally proper (Type C handguards, charging handle and original milled retaining pin) than worrying about the receiver small parts. I hate to say it but I'm done with builds unless I fall into some crazy parts stash for a good price. I have a amazing Hydra, very early 604 and now this 602 so I'm content and the prices for original parts are nuts lately. I'am perfecting my XM177 (my first build from 8 years ago) so probably later this year once I get the barrel reprofiled I'll post a family picture of the whole gang.
View Quote
I agree that prices are getting crazier and crazier.  Two years ago you could have EASILY purchased all of those missing items for under $300. Two years ago I was passing up mint waffle mags for $300 too!  One other thing your 602 SHOULD have, but I understand your reluctance to change it since your upper came as a complete unit, is a magnetic carbon steel gas tube.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I agree that prices are getting crazier and crazier.  Two years ago you could have EASILY purchased all of those missing items for under $300. Two years ago I was passing up mint waffle mags for $300 too!  One other thing your 602 SHOULD have, but I understand your reluctance to change it since your upper came as a complete unit, is a magnetic carbon steel gas tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep......tube is magnetic. Maybe one day I'll find a nice set of Type C handguards. Well..........I guess I'm gonna get back to restoring the two old Triumph motorcycles that took a back burner to retro builds over the last 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep......tube is magnetic.
View Quote
GREAT!  In your description you said it had a stainless steel gas tube, which is the second version and is NON magnetic.  The first model magnetic tubes are carbon steel, so I was confused.  Those early tubes are really hard to find!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome build! I don’t know how you could improve it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep......tube is magnetic. Maybe one day I'll find a nice set of Type C handguards. Well..........I guess I'm gonna get back to restoring the two old Triumph motorcycles that took a back burner to retro builds over the last 3 years.
View Quote
Always good to have a retro backdrop for your rifles.

" />
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always good to have a retro backdrop for your rifles.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Doris/20161113_100119.jpg" target="_blank">http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/Cal30M1/Doris/20161113_100119.jpg
Nice Bonneville!! Here is my 73 T140 750cc (1st year of the 750cc). My current project is a numbers matching 69 Triumph TR6C and on the back burner is a pre unit 61 TR6.

Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very well done
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Gorgeous rifle.  Waiting for braceman to engrave my lower to do mine!  I was lucky enough to stumble across a complete upper a while back, so I intend to make mine as correct as possible as well.  Curious, I thought you had a fat head firing pin for this rifle?

Edit: Here’s some pics of mine...

Here it’s featured as a mock up with my future 605 barrel and ‘64 SP-1 upper.
Attachment Attached File

Some close ups of the upper itself. Flash on and off, trying to capture the color. It looks more black in person, so I’m trying to figure out if it’s refinished.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Trying to capture the VP Mark.
Attachment Attached File

...and the angle cuts out back.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Curious, I thought you had a fat head firing pin for this rifle?
View Quote
Fat head firing pins were only made until 1963. The flat head firing pins were adopted about the time the 602 was manufactured, from 63-64, so most would have had the flat head firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fat head firing pins were only made until 1963. The flat head firing pins were adopted about the time the 602 was manufactured, from 63-64, so most would have had the flat head firing pin.
View Quote
Ah, I guess my timeline is off a bit then.  I thought the flat head came in at around the end of 602 production. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ah, I guess my timeline is off a bit then.  I thought the flat head came in at around the end of 602 production. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice 602 upper you got there sir. Has it been refinished? Doesn't look like it but I always fall back on the color of the lugs vs the color of the rest of the upper.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nice 602 upper you got there sir. Has it been refinished? Doesn't look like it but I always fall back on the color of the lugs vs the color of the rest of the upper.
View Quote
Actually, could you please explain the "color of the lugs" thing?  That's still one thing I have yet to figure out what people mean when they say it.  I was also thinking that it had been taken apart in the past because of the rectangular pad port door, but maybe its original?  What do you guys think?  I have a square pad for it, should that be what it needs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Actually, could you please explain the "color of the lugs" thing?  That's still one thing I have yet to figure out what people mean when they say it.  I was also thinking that it had been taken apart in the past because of the rectangular pad port door, but maybe its original?  What do you guys think?  I have a square pad for it, should that be what it needs.
View Quote
Early uppers had BLACK lugs, while the rest of the upper is grey.  Usually the lugs are a bit shinier than the rest of the upper.  It is hard to photograph, but here is a quick one:

Attachment Attached File

Your upper looks to have been refinished, and yes, the large pad dust cover is correct for a 602
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]
A work of art sir! Well done
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Early uppers had BLACK lugs, while the rest of the upper is grey.  Usually the lugs are a bit shinier than the rest of the upper.  It is hard to photograph, but here is a quick one:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432342/IMG_1982-502227.JPG

Your upper looks to have been refinished, and yes, the large pad dust cover is correct for a 602
View Quote
Right, I thought so.  And why is it that the lugs are a different color?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#35]
From what I've read they are a different color because they were heat treated but I could be wrong. Not only are the lugs black but you'll also notice the entire bottom edge of the upper going from the front all the way to rear where it curves up where the buffer tube screws in is or can be black also. Upon closer inspection by eyes not clouded by a few to many Easter Sunday Brandy Old Fashioneds,  your 602 upper has been refinished. Doesn't look too bad because the engraving around the sight wheel doesn't look nasty and filled in. Try some marine paint stripper for starters. I thought someone put some nasty stuff on my early 604 upper and it turns out someome rattle canned the sucker. It all came off revealing almost perfect original anodizing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
From what I've read they are a different color because they were heat treated but I could be wrong. Not only are the lugs black but you'll also notice the entire bottom edge of the upper going from the front all the way to rear where it curves up where the buffer tube screws in is or can be black also. Upon closer inspection by eyes not clouded by a few to many Easter Sunday Brandy Old Fashioneds,  your 602 upper has been refinished. Doesn't look too bad because the engraving around the sight wheel doesn't look nasty and filled in. Try some marine paint stripper for starters. I thought someone put some nasty stuff on my early 604 upper and it turns out someome rattle canned the sucker. It all came off revealing almost perfect original anodizing.
View Quote
Yeah, as I said my first inclination was that it was refinished. I'll probably just leave it as is though.  Not too worried about it.  It just has a darker darker gray color to it, not quite black.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice work, cool story on finding that upper!

Quoted:
I always thought doing a 602 the right way would be practically impossible. Finding a 602 upper let alone finding one with the original VP 12 attached seemed like a pipe dream. I was ready to go for a 601 build then.......about a year ago I was on the facebook page of ar15.com where a young gentleman was asking how much his 602 upper was worth and the rest is history. After much persistence I acquired the upper last August. I did a thread on the upper when I got it so I won't go into details but I believe the upper was never part of an issued gun. It's in mint shape with the barrel gauging new on a USGI non chrome bore ME gauge and the rifling is perfect. There is barely any internal wear on the upper. I think it was just factory proof fired. Thanks goes out to Boywonder, Heatnbeat, John Thomas, US Anodizing, Nodak Spud and M16Indiana for their service and support. Here is a break down of the parts with repros noted:

*Colt 602 upper with VP 12 barrel/cast FSB, stainless steel gas tube and early style door. Handguards are no drain hole Type D (I'd love to find a mint set of Type C's that would compliment the gun). Charging handle is a Nodak repro.
*Colt 3/4 round carrier with Colt thin band MP bolt. NOS flat head firing pin with a repro firing pin retaining pin. (Boywonder)
*Type C stock with edgewater buffer, no drain hole screw, 602 grip with 601 screw
*Lower is a Nodak that was a 80% milled out by me using a 5D Tactical jig and anodized by US Anodizing. Engraving done by Braceman with serial number in the very low 20k range with flashing removed and bolt release boss rounded.
*601 fire control group neutered by John Thomas
*601 bolt release and many circles mag button courtesy of Heatnbeat
*original 601 sling
*waffle mag is a Brownells repro.

Here are the pictures..........sorry if some are redundant.
https://i.imgur.com/s7qHq0Q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sovSXgW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AENyaIH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kcLBGiS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8y73teY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZsMpCQ1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oD83i17.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XKlChiU.jpg

Who needs forge flashing?
https://i.imgur.com/OpXOHYq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/h3wxgrH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/SGxrbah.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Id16DEz.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wEgRSsm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rpue78m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/guWLbKX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/auuKUEz.jpg

Here she is with her younger brother.

https://i.imgur.com/4g4DURD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sAdVPxw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MdSx3A5.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, as I said my first inclination was that it was refinished. I'll probably just leave it as is though.  Not too worried about it.  It just has a darker darker gray color to it, not quite black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should still try perhaps just to see. The previous owner of my early 604 rattle canned the upper because the dust cover had some patina on it so he wanted it all to match.  Perhaps he could have just found a nice small pad door (pretty common) instead of rattle canning an original finish upper from 1964. Some people are just special I guess.......... The second to last picture in my first post shows the 604 with the patina on the door next to my 602 for reference of the previous owners atrocity.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nice Bonneville!! Here is my 73 T140 750cc (1st year of the 750cc). My current project is a numbers matching 69 Triumph TR6C and on the back burner is a pre unit 61 TR6.
https://i.imgur.com/rLscW0k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OsYVAIT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cEjT5su.jpg
View Quote
NICE Mo Mo Bro! Do you ride in the snow?

What is riding season up there? August 4th to the 9th?
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/rLscW0k.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/OsYVAIT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cEjT5su.jpg

LOL!! It's a tad more than a week. If you don't mind being cool usually the season is April till October with some decent days still in November on occasion.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#42]
BEAUTIFUL Rifle sir!
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
IMHO the lugs are "black" and shiny because they were held in a fixture and not blasted.

The inside of our buffer tubes came out the same way because I plugged the hole before blasting.

Once they get anodized the color is darker on the smooth aluminum.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification sir.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Terrific build Tazaroo!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Well done
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Dam that looks great
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#47]
That is wicked. +1
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top