Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2017 3:47:08 AM EDT
Thought some of you all might be interested. I ordered a few, hopefully they are good to go.

A1 Rear Sight Assembly

Sorry if it's already been mentioned, I looked and didn't see it anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the heads up, I don't think they have been mentioned anywhere else yet either.  I actually just mentioned how it'd be nice if Brownells got the A1 rear sight kits & A1 port doors in soon on another thread about some of their stuff.  

I have never heard of that manufacturer it is labeled as "LUTH AR LLC" , I looked them up but they don't seem to have a whole lot on their page and I couldn't find these rear sight kits there.  It really doesn't matter all that much to me as long as they are made out of steel and look decent when you get them they can always be refinished later on or have the rear aperture replaced if it isn't offset like it should be.  I know it isn't correct but I like to put A2 apertures on about anything I shoot anyways.  

For that price, you aren't out much in today's market with originals going for over twice that.  I will likely get a few myself after I get paid and read the reviews of what others are getting.  If you can please try to post up what you receive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I will. I will need some of you guys to tell me how far off they are from the originals. I have some Norell's to spray some receivers and other parts, so I'll probably end up spraying these, too, before I install them. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Their website.   A quick glance thru it, seems like that's the only "retro" part.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
delete
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup, it doesn't give you a lot of faith when you have never heard of them before but at the same time when it comes to the rear sight kit there really isn't a whole lot to them so long as they aren't made out of plastic or something like that.  If they are made out of steel they should hold up as well as any other one out there for everyday use, I would just be a little skeptical on the aperture itself not changing the POI left or right when being flipped since some cheaper ones aren't offset.  

For $17 or so you really can't go wrong though unless they get new competition soon... they are the first game on the market in over a year now since DPMS closed up shop on these.  I think DPMS picked about the worst time to stop making their A1 parts, the Retro rifles have hit a real boom here lately.  Slowly but surely we are gaining new repro parts which really makes me happy.

While I enjoy factory parts that's been there and done it, I am very content with repros for a much cheaper price on most things.  I am just hoping these don't come in and have some off the wall problem that makes them almost useless.  I figure they will be perfectly fine though, with the aperture being the only iffy part.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the sights will be ok, and hopefully we'll see more retro from them. From the About page of their web site.

What’s in a name? The Luth name is synonymous with Experience, Expertise, Knowledge, Innovation, and has been a driving force in the firearm industry for close to 40 years. Starting as a machinist 40 years ago Randy Luth founded D.P.M.S. / Panther Arms and grew the company to become one of the leading manufacturers of AR-15 firearms and firearm components in the world.

Randy led D.P.M.S. from it’s founding in 1986 until the company was sold in 2007. Holding 7 patents and numerous industry leading innovations, the Luth name has earned the respect of the entire firearm industry and is regarded as one of the driving forces behind the growth and popularity of the AR-15 market.

Although known for high-quality, affordable complete AR-15 firearms, accessories and components for the retail market, less known is the fact that under Randy’s leadership D.P.M.S. manufactured and supplied components for the entire AR-15/M-16 industry. Many competing brands contained Luth components.

Randy’s constant drive to innovate has lead the industry being the first to develop, design and manufacture dozens of firearms, components and manufacturing processes that are commonplace throughout the industry today.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the same old unmarked aperture DPMS from the pics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#8]
So it's essentially DPMS Rear Sights?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:44:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Bought a set. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:11:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the sights will be ok, and hopefully we'll see more retro from them. From the About page of their web site.

What’s in a name? The Luth name is synonymous with Experience, Expertise, Knowledge, Innovation, and has been a driving force in the firearm industry for close to 40 years. Starting as a machinist 40 years ago Randy Luth founded D.P.M.S. / Panther Arms and grew the company to become one of the leading manufacturers of AR-15 firearms and firearm components in the world.

Randy led D.P.M.S. from it’s founding in 1986 until the company was sold in 2007. Holding 7 patents and numerous industry leading innovations, the Luth name has earned the respect of the entire firearm industry and is regarded as one of the driving forces behind the growth and popularity of the AR-15 market.

Although known for high-quality, affordable complete AR-15 firearms, accessories and components for the retail market, less known is the fact that under Randy’s leadership D.P.M.S. manufactured and supplied components for the entire AR-15/M-16 industry. Many competing brands contained Luth components.

Randy’s constant drive to innovate has lead the industry being the first to develop, design and manufacture dozens of firearms, components and manufacturing processes that are commonplace throughout the industry today.
View Quote
This. Luth-AR is GTG, not some fly-by-night company based out of Joe Schmoe's garage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I am very thankful that these companies are making the after market parts.
The price is right and from the pictures they look like they will work just fine.
I started building rifles and carbines with as many after market parts as I could find about 5-6 years ago.
I enjoy putting them together.

Having several rifles/carbines that are made with mostly military parts I don't really need any more.
This is going to save the military parts for those that are still wanting to build one as close to a real one as they can.
(there appears to still be many people that do want them and some people really don't care as long as it has the look)
This make it a win for everyone.

I have gotten some aftermarket parts that were not so good, but some of them have been really good and are hard to tell the difference from original military

Have a good day today, the sun is shinning here.

Ron
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Luth Ar is out of the Old DPMS building. Randy was the former owner. Myself Dustin was at DPMS from 1999 until 2010. We are starting to make lots of parts that we used to make. Plus lots more I am a huge Retro fan so we will be starting to come out with a lot of cool items.  just keep a eye out guys!
Thanks
Dustin
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Of the four sets I got, one was missing the adjustment wheel (?), but had two roll pins. I'm sure Brownell's will make it right. The aperture is L marked, and they are a nice grey-ish color. Was wondering if I'd have to paint them, but I think they will look fine once the oil dries a little on them. 
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:11:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Send me a email at [email protected] I'll take care of you!
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks! I'll be sending you one shortly!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Good to see everything is looking up with these.  One thing I want to note for those looking to be more original, the rear aperture is not correct it looks to be 2 different size holes and more importantly the aperture goes straight down like the large aperture on the A2 instead of having a little rounded part at the bottom (which looks a little strange).  This doesn't bother me since I replace them with A2 apertures anyway and the rest looks great for a good reasonable price.  I am sure I will end up with quite a few of these and I hope they keep getting churned out for the foreseeable future.

To Luth AR, I am excited to hear you have more parts in the works.  We can always use more parts that is for sure... we are still left without A1 port doors at the moment and I would make that about my number one part I'd like to see available.  After that I would say A1/C7 uppers.  DPMS used to make nice C7 uppers (I have one myself), and they discontinued them at about the worst time possible.  

It would be very nice to see a C7 upper priced at about what the A2's are currently at for everyone just wanting a KISS type upper instead of paying and waiting for a nice Nodak or Colt upper.  Actually I'd love to see some bulk produced A1 uppers of any flavor from 604's to 603's to C7's.  With flat top uppers going for around $30-40 each at the moment and A2's at around $80-90 there has to be plenty of room to make some money for someone that has access to the tooling.  

One more oddball thing that would be nice for retro guys is a FSB that has all the flashing removed to look like the early rifles.  Might not be worth investing the time/money for how many you'd sell but it's something to consider as well if it wouldn't cost much to retool to make some.  I think they look better anyways and would likely put them on many of my modern rifles if they were available.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
It's good to see these sorts of parts popping up at reasonable prices. The Retro market is a tough one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Better pics of the apertures from different angles. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the detailed pics, that might help some people out and it's interesting to see the design.  I was about to say that they probably wouldn't be offset then to compensate for the movement left/right when turning on the screw but if you look at the pictures closely it appears they drilled the smaller aperture slightly offset from the middle.  So these should be good to go without changing your impact left/right but that would have to be tested by someone that owns these.  Since they aren't originals anyways I see no reason not to just add a cheap $5 A2 aperture that IMO works better anyways but everyone has what they like.  

Definitely going to have to get my hands on a few of these though just in case they don't keep making them for whatever reason, though it sounds like they should be around awhile.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#22]
A1 3 Prong Need any of these?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
@dustball75 I got it today, thanks again!

I also installed one set today. First time I had done that, and everything worked great. 
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top