Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/7/2015 12:56:07 PM EDT
I'm starting to feel old.. It seems like just yesterday that I started doing Retro Builds, but I've been coming to this forum for over 5 years. I've just noticed a shift in the amount of what I call original members being the dominant number to all new guys. I remember being the new guy asking all the questions and now people are asking me those questions... Sad that a lot of great guys don't come by as often but it's exciting that a new Generation of Builders are following their forefather's footsteps. We have gone from A1 uppers on A2 lowers, to Nodak Spud, to Engraving, to Engraved 80% Reprofiled Lowers....what's next?

ETA - With the large flow of ew builders stopping in, I'm gonng to make this a Thread about the Evolution of the Forum and make it a meet and Greet for newer builders.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
New builder checking in
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New builder checking in
View Quote

I've learned a lot in the last year, but I still definitely fall into that category too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The single BIGGEST, MOST IMPORTANT leason I have learned here in retro is this........
If you are single, stay single, because if you get married you will evaporate from this forum and one of the most viewed threads will go to the archive. So long "girls with retro rifles".
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The single BIGGEST, MOST IMPORTANT leason I have learned here in retro is this........
If you are single, stay single, because if you get married you will evaporate from this forum and one of the most viewed threads will go to the archive. So long "girls with retro rifles".
View Quote

I can still get online when I'm at work and in the morning when everyone is sleeping. LOL. Girls with Retro Rifles will forever be missed, I will now salute that thread and mourn.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I can still get online when I'm at work and in the morning when everyone is sleeping. LOL. Girls with Retro Rifles will forever be missed, I will now salute that thread and mourn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I remember all of that. Happened just when I was beginning to lurk around here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not even sure what the hell happened to rriggs. I used to talk to him on the phone once in a while, she was supportive of his addiction and everything even and I don't think that gotten married yet and...poof...he was gone.

I guess I'm in the sophomore class range. I got into it at the tail end of the fabled good old days when parts were still somewhat around and not insane prices. I kinda feel bad for the guys who are just getting into it now.

Then again, there are lots of options for people who can help make you repro parts. Speaking of which, anybody seen heatnbeat lately? Hope he's doing well.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not even sure what the hell happened to rriggs. I used to talk to him on the phone once in a while, she was supportive of his addiction and everything even and I don't think that gotten married yet and...poof...he was gone.

I guess I'm in the sophomore class range. I got into it at the tail end of the fabled good old days when parts were still somewhat around and not insane prices. I kinda feel bad for the guys who are just getting into it now.

Then again, there are lots of options for people who can help make you repro parts. Speaking of which, anybody seen heatnbeat lately? Hope he's doing well.
View Quote

I actually got to meet heatnbeat just before the holidays.  He was kind enough to sell me an M12 rack so I drove over to pick it up.
Very cool guy and seemed to be doing just fine.  Turns out he's also into Harleys and hotrods (well, in his case, racecars) so we had plenty to talk about!
He recently moved and was still in the process of setting up his new workshop, but I'm hoping we might one day see more heatnbeat repro retro parts.  The man does have skillz (as the young people say)!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I am relatively new to this site, but been foolin with firearms for a while. Got my first AR in 1984, I believe it was. I have had a few M1911's, and so the hobby grows. I still have a 1911, and am up to 5 AR's in the safe. I could retire, but the SS $$ is extra cash for me, and enables me to feed my BRD.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to combat this problem by marrying an arfcommer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been on this forum for several years myself. Been an ARFCOM member a little longer. I, like a few others, got to use some of the real things in my military career over the years. Nothing like getting you hands on a real M16A1, 602, and a 723 and being able to use them. These are what sparked my fire for building retro ARs. It is good to see new people getting into the retro world as well. I have learned a lot over the years and I continue to learn. There is a wealth of knowledge, skill, and experience for anyone getting into retros to tap into. There needs to be people to help carry on with building the retro/vintage ARs. In this age of modern ARs with all of the new fangled add-ons, there is still nothing like simplicity. I have my share of modern ARs, but I also have many retros (as many of you know). I can appreciate the old and the new.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't consider myself part of the old guard but I'm not new either. Where do I fall hip shot? lol

I miss the guys like rrigs also because he's the one that dragged me into this thing but hopefully the new influx of guys will be good for this small group. If the reaction to the patches is anything to go by the group is far bigger than I thought! I've become very close to a lot of people here and hopefully as people come and go we can all remain in touch.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Old /new guy here to. I don't post here very often, as I am an amateur compared to most of the knowledgeable folks here. I built my 604 clone all from parts off the EE except for the lower, LPK and mottled grip. Needless to say, I studied this forum and Retroblackrifles  for tricks like navel jelly the lpk to make it grey and what I needed to do to reprofile my RRA lower to make it as correct a partial fence lower as I could. This is my first and only AR. Until then I had always been  an Ak builder. I actually built my first Ar as a companion to my 1966 Russian Ak clone.If I ever get two nickels to rub together, my next project would be a dedicated .22 cal. 605 clone.                                                            
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Old /new guy here to. I don't post here very often, as I am an amateur compared to most of the knowledgeable folks here. I built my 604 clone all from parts off the EE except for the lower, LPK and mottled grip. Needless to say, I studied this forum and Retroblackrifles  for tricks like navel jelly the lpk to make it grey and what I needed to do to reprofile my RRA lower to make it as correct a partial fence lower as I could. This is my first and only AR. Until then I had always been  an Ak builder. I actually built my first Ar as a companion to my 1966 Russian Ak clone.If I ever get two nickels to rub together, my next project would be a dedicated .22 cal. 605 clone.                                                            
<a href="http://s41.photobucket.com/user/ppsh41/media/df41422b-a1c2-4f82-b928-bc85f9c4d850_zps5e954283.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/ppsh41/df41422b-a1c2-4f82-b928-bc85f9c4d850_zps5e954283.jpg</a>
View Quote

Good looking builds, and I'm not even an AK fan. Probably a good thing too, as I bet they're as addictive as AR's.........and I know there are a bunch of variations.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good looking builds, and I'm not even an AK fan. Probably a good thing too, as I bet they're as addictive as AR's.........and I know there are a bunch of variations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s41.photobucket.com/user/ppsh41/media/df41422b-a1c2-4f82-b928-bc85f9c4d850_zps5e954283.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e273/ppsh41/df41422b-a1c2-4f82-b928-bc85f9c4d850_zps5e954283.jpg</a>

I am firmly in both camps. I like both US and Soviet small arms.

Kinda sucks because funds get contested over which kind of build to go for next. A 1988 Izhmash AK74 is on my list but I also would like an M16A1 so......

Who knows.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't consider myself part of the old guard but I'm not new either. Where do I fall hip shot? lol

I miss the guys like rrigs also because he's the one that dragged me into this thing but hopefully the new influx of guys will be good for this small group. If the reaction to the patches is anything to go by the group is far bigger than I thought! I've become very close to a lot of people here and hopefully as people come and go we can all remain in touch.
View Quote

Seems like you have been around longer than you have, I guess it's because your contributions and that you frequent the Forum and weigh in on threads often. Guys like Boywonder777 have been around since 2000-2001 and must have really seen some transformations. I was around a few years before the A2 Forum, I was the first to bring a PIF to the A2 Forum and now the second try is a tacked thread. Some guys have been around before the Retro Forum and helped get it going, sadly most of them are gone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm one of the retro noobs.

I started with the tacticool junk in 2006 then moved into A2, I know, I know, but the A2s started me into the clone game.  The clone game started for me in 2010, and now I'm working on a 607 style clone(I hope to unofficially represent the Retro forum at CW5, with it).  I came over from C&R (and still have a bunch of that stuff going back to military flintlocks).  

I lurked here for a looooooooong time, and still do.
I want to learn from the "old heads" because I like the simplicity of the retro weapons (AR and AKM).  I find myself reading more than posting because there is so much here from the vanished senior members. Thanks for sharing the wealth of knowledge with a "kid" like me!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No enthusiasts collection is complete without an AK, you are correct that then can be addictive as well. I swore I'd never own more than two, I've been setting at one for about a year and I seem to be ok with that... For now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I guess it's because your contributions and that you frequent the Forum and weigh in on threads often.
View Quote

I have a sickness it's become an obsession even if I only have 3 retro ar's it led me into get an AK47, 74, FAL and G3 (variants).
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I miss Ekie, UXB, Cpt. Richardson,45 Bravo, Blanco Diablo, and the others showing off the latest builds as well.....

There used to be a time when there were no repro parts.....and it took more than just having $$$ to put together something cool......

Want a partial fence or 601 Lower?.....mill it yourself

Want a set of 601 Handguards?....be prepared to do some serious trading

I've sold most of my retro builds.....have been shooting a lot of black-powder loaded 45 Colt  in SAA's for a few years.........but have a H&R M16A1 build in the works that will blow lots of the earlier stuff away....

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been on AR15.com for a little over 7 years, but you can see from my post count that I don't contribute very often.

Besides the EE, the retro section is pretty much the only place I spend any time on here.

I got annoyed with all the drama, name calling, and posers in the other forums.

It drove me away for a long time.

You guys in the retro area are the only people on here that seem "real".

As far as retro builds go, I'm working on two... my first two.

I had my FFL for several years back in Iowa before moving down here to Florida.

I've had many ARs come and go.

I've got half a dozen that I've kept.

I was intrigued by the retro builds when I first saw a Nodak lower many years back.

Just finally got to the point where I pretty much had everything else and decided it was time to get a few retros in the safes.

You guys are very knowledgeable, quick to respond, and seem pretty nice.

Thanks for putting up with us "new" guys.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want a milled receiver Type 56 with folding spike bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local gunshow always had a VN bringback transferable milled spiker. I drooled over it every time until it sold

I must have one one day.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I've only been here a few years and only hang out here in Retro or the build it yourself forums.
I've had one AR,several 1911's and a Norinco paratrooper SKS for more than 15-20 years.
When I came to this site..it was to learn to build my own.
Now I have an XM16E1,an A1,starting a 604 and gathering parts for a 601....
I built a couple say three or four modern flat tops two for my kids an a couple for me to play with.
The retro bug has hit me pretty good tho with the builds mentioned above.
I am new to the game I guess you would say.....but I am 60 years young and having a ball with you guys in Retro.
Just missed out on VN...too young....but I remember my brother in law when he did two tours in VN in the Air Force.
I have completed the machine work on three 80%'rs with my Harbor Freight mill...but by no means am I a machinist....everything I learned...I got from you guys.
My home page on my PC is the forums page here at AR15,com.
So I guess I'm new/old

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Dag Nabbit! When I was your age, we used 601 handguards to prop up wobbly tables!  And we LIKED it that way!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I miss Ekie, UXB, Cpt. Richardson,45 Bravo, Blanco Diablo, and the others showing off the latest builds as well.....

There used to be a time when there were no repro parts.....and it took more than just having $$$ to put together something cool......

I've sold most of my retro builds.....have been shooting a lot of black-powder loaded 45 Colt  in SAA's for a few years.........but have a H&R M16A1 build in the works that will blow lots of the earlier stuff away....

View Quote

Uxb has costed me thousands of dollars in retro parts.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Kinda new here and kinda young, got itnto the retro thing a few years ago after buying the tour of duty tv series.

With in a year I spent more than I care to admit in retro parts and have about 5 projects going
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't remember that show.

I was pretty heavy into Miami Vice when that was being aired.

Then after that I was getting later into my high school years and spending a lot less time watching TV.

I'll have to check Netflix and see if it's listed on there.

Since there's nothing good on these days.  

EDIT: It is unavailable to stream on Netflix, but it is available with the DVD plan (which I don't have).   FML
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#28]
original music isnt correct. but here's season 1 episode 1

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Built a government model 20 " rifle in 94 with  Bushmaster lower. Bought an 68 SP1 a year or so later. Went several years enjoying shooting these and within the past two years, several have gotten built, from complete 100% lowers to milling 80%ers. I can say without a doubt that milling out an 80 has been my most fun build. I am hopeful that newbies to the rifle and to building will continue to come along and keep the sickness going..........
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a new guy. Joined last year and a couple months later made the wallet-burning mistake of going into the NFA section, and about two months ago into the even worse retro section.

The people here seem top notch, and like another poster said there's no drama like in some of the other sections.

I've pieced together basically all the parts of my first retro, an XM16E1. And a big thanks to the guys on the EE who made that relatively easy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't remember that show.

I was pretty heavy into Miami Vice when that was being aired.

Then after that I was getting later into my high school years and spending a lot less time watching TV.

I'll have to check Netflix and see if it's listed on there.

Since there's nothing good on these days.  

EDIT: It is unavailable to stream on Netflix, but it is available with the DVD plan (which I don't have).   FML
View Quote

I have Tour of Duty Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD if you wanna borrow or buy them. I backed them up and haven't watched the original Box Sets in years. They are like brand new. For some reason the Rolling Stones wouldn't let "Paint it Black" be used as the theme song on the DVDs, but that was the original Theme Song at the beginning of every episode that aired on TV. I used to come home from High School and watch reruns on USA in the late 90's, my GF at the time hated it, and my guns...prolly why she didn't last more than 2-3 years.

ETA - Your Grips went out today.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Olgunner and I were just discussing this tonight. I have to say, as someone who has watched this forum become what it has, I am very impressed by the quality and intelligence of "new" members I see here. Most everyone "gets" that this forum is different, and it's a place to not only be nice to each other, but to be friendly and helpful as well. The PIF thread is proof of this - still going strong. People who have attitudes just don't last long here. I've made some real friends here over the years, and I value you guys, although I do miss some of the original members being here as well. I come here mainly to 'spend time' with y'all.

I've been busy with marketing the book lately, and am even selling off some of my rarest parts soon, but I am not done with retro builds, nor with this forum. It has become a daily refuge - a place of reason and joy; a place to learn something new and share a laugh. We take care of each other here, and rarely does a mod need to step in on this forum - we are self-regulating...which is pretty cool you ask me. I just can't say enough good things about the members of this forum, and that includes the newer ones. You guys rock.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm obviously new here. I like this forum the best of all. Great group here. The knowledge found here is amazing. I've had and built ARs relatively actively since the late 70s, and didn't join until recently. I'm amazed at all the chit I've learned in the short time I've been here. Because of, I'm finding myself being slowly sucked into the Retro sickness...Prolly like some here, I've gone from the SP1/A1 stuff back in the day...to the flat tops...now back to liking the carry handle stuff again. Thankfully I kept my old SP1 from back then, and with some help here, its about back to where it needs to be. Now I'm eyeing my 603/A1 upper for an XM177e2 something...

Now you guys got me watching the Tour of Duty vids. I loved that show.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm obviously new here. I like this forum the best of all. Great group here. The knowledge found here is amazing. I've had and built ARs relatively actively since the late 70s, and didn't join until recently. I'm amazed at all the chit I've learned in the short time I've been here. Because of, I'm finding myself being slowly sucked into the Retro sickness...Prolly like some here, I've gone from the SP1/A1 stuff back in the day...to the flat tops...now back to liking the carry handle stuff again. Thankfully I kept my old SP1 from back then, and with some help here, its about back to where it needs to be. Now I'm eyeing my 603/A1 upper for an XM177e2 something...

Now you guys got me watching the Tour of Duty vids. I loved that show.
View Quote

I love the episode where the Staff Sarge picks up the flamethrower, flanks the VC bunker and lights it up. That's where he earns his Silver Star.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:49:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I've been around. 5 or 6 years now. Not a lot smarter....
But definatly broker !
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:56:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Another new guy checking in. In the last approx. year and a half I've gone from owning my first
retro upper to having 2 complete builds and 5 builds in progress.  RBRD, yep I've got it for sure.
I've learned so much from the members here, and not all was about guns.  I like to refer to the retro
group as the best bunch of folks I've never met, and a great group of friends.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#37]

that didn't work
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#38]
I just came in here when I wanted to build a 603 like I had in basic, didn't even know it was a 603 then

I'm just finishing up an XM16 build and have one more in mind that's going to be a special build a long time in the making but now I kinda think I want to do a DOE build for some reason. Damn you guys for being so nice and helpful and sucking me in!

I do really think I'm near the end of my building days but I'll still stick around when I'm done. I have been spending a bit more time in the C&R forum though. This doesn't bode well!

Glad to hear H&B is doing well. I talked to him on the phone once or twice and was a very nice guy
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I just came in here when I wanted to build a 603 like I had in basic, didn't even know it was a 603 then

I'm just finishing up an XM16 build and have one more in mind that's going to be a special build a long time in the making but now I kinda think I want to do a DOE build for some reason. Damn you guys for being so nice and helpful and sucking me in!

I do really think I'm near the end of my building days but I'll still stick around when I'm done. I have been spending a bit more time in the C&R forum though. This doesn't bode well!

Glad to hear H&B is doing well. I talked to him on the phone once or twice and was a very nice guy
View Quote

I started in reverse, getting my C&R first and buying Krags, 1903s, 1917s, Garands, M1 Carbines, then the AR-15 varients. I'm glad I did it that way because prices on anything 50 years old + are through the roof. I still need a M1A or M14 clone to finish my US Military Rifle collection, I need to talk to m1sniper about a proper clone.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not even sure what the hell happened to rriggs.
View Quote

I wouldn't presume to speak for Riggs and Blondie, but they pretty much hung their retro lives out there on the innertubes and sometimes, that has implications for employment, as well as other issues.  Lots of folks with an internet presence have found it prudent to "go gray" and pull the plug.  Kim du Toit and his "nation of riflemen" are sorely missed in some circles (although not from a Retro background), and The Woodpile Report recently, just to name a couple.

If you're reading this, Riggs or Blondie, come home!  We miss you guys.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I started in reverse, getting my C&R first and buying Krags, 1903s, 1917s, Garands, M1 Carbines, then the AR-15 varients. I'm glad I did it that way because prices on anything 50 years old + are through the roof. I still need a M1A or M14 clone to finish my US Military Rifle collection, I need to talk to m1sniper about a proper clone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I did too, the first rifle I ever bought was a Fazakerley Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1, the second was an HRA M1 Garand, third was a Tula Mosin, followed by an Oberndorf Mauser K98k. I Got my first AR in October 2012, though dad has had one since 1999.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I wouldn't presume to speak for Riggs and Blondie, but they pretty much hung their retro lives out there on the innertubes and sometimes, that has implications for employment, as well as other issues.  Lots of folks with an internet presence have found it prudent to "go gray" and pull the plug.  Kim du Toit and his "nation of riflemen" are sorely missed in some circles (although not from a Retro background), and The Woodpile Report recently, just to name a couple.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not even sure what the hell happened to rriggs.

I loved KdT, it was the first blog I ever followed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I lucked out into a nice C&R collection from my grandfather passed through my father (still alive). I don't like Jap guns but not counting some stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

German
K98, G43

British
SMLE, forget which gen, and a Jungle Carbine
A Swift training rifle
Webley

American
Two 1898 Springfields
1903 Springfield
1903 Mark 1
1917 Eddystone
1943 I think it is Springfield Garand
Forget which manufacturer off hand M1 carbine
S&W Victory
Colt 1917 revolver
My own collection of GI 1911s was added to with a DCM Colt

Russian
SVT40

Forget the country of origin but
FN49

I also have a box of bayos and holsters I'm trying to figure out what they all are and sell off the extra ones for him.

My pops is good to me

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Came here back when I built my first tacticool AR - then decided a few years ago to build my AF vet Dad a 604.  It was so much fun I just kept going.  I will say that I am glad to have procured many parts when the prices weren't so steep, although you can still find the occasional sweet deal if you watch closely.

Mainly its the interesting topics and history that keep me coming back - although I am slowly collecting parts for a display gun (non-operational).  I have everything to finish a GUU-5P exept the lower - thinking of going the 80% route, just not sure if i trust my skills milling it out.

As has been stated - great forum here to participate in.  Bunch of enablers here!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I started out with WWII guns. Dad left me and my brother a m1 carbine. Got a type 38 &99 from my grandpa. That turned into garands another carbine, mausers, 1903, 1882 trapdoor, crap-ton of nagants. Then onto retro ar-15/m16's
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well I lucked out into a nice C&R collection from my grandfather passed through my father (still alive). I don't like Jap guns but not counting some stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

German
K98, G43

British
SMLE, forget which gen, and a Jungle Carbine
A Swift training rifle
Webley

American
Two 1898 Springfields
1903 Springfield
1903 Mark 1
1917 Eddystone
1943 I think it is Springfield Garand
Forget which manufacturer off hand M1 carbine
S&W Victory
Colt 1917 revolver
My own collection of GI 1911s was added to with a DCM Colt

Russian
SVT40

Forget the country of origin but
FN49

I also have a box of bayos and holsters I'm trying to figure out what they all are and sell off the extra ones for him.

My pops is good to me

View Quote

I'd be happy to take any 'Jap guns' that you don't want. I need an Arisaksa for my collection.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Didn't even bring them home, dad moved with them so I'll probably get "stuck" with them one day

I did come home with two Arasaka bayos though besides the ones that fit on the guns he has. Passed on a nambu as well. Like I said, not really my thing but I did lay some day dibs on a broom handle and a Luger but passed on a Nazi marked hi power as I already have one though his is nicer. I figure no need to get greedy and my sister can have it even though she won't appreciate it for what it is at least I don't think she'll pawn it or anything.

Looking at my list some more and noticed a Nazi marked Radom and a Stevens 416 US property marked that I need to find a rear sight for.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Didn't even bring them home, dad moved with them so I'll probably get "stuck" with them one day

I did come home with two Arasaka bayos though besides the ones that fit on the guns he has. Passed on a nambu as well. Like I said, not really my thing but I did lay some day dibs on a broom handle and a Luger but passed on a Nazi marked hi power as I already have one though his is nicer. I figure no need to get greedy and my sister can have it even though she won't appreciate it for what it is at least I don't think she'll pawn it or anything.

Looking at my list some more and noticed a Nazi marked Radom and a Stevens 416 US property marked that I need to find a rear sight for.

View Quote

Finding the Japanese varients with the Imperil Mums intact is the key to collecting those rifles, the holy grail of Japanese Pistols is the Nambu, which has eluded me for years.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sigh, I remember those days. And ScottRyan seemed to be ripping someones behind.

Sadly, most of my Retro AR's are going too...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Newbie here, part of the <30 club still. This was my first build. A pair of 605's will be my next projects, one in 7.62x39 and one in .223.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top