Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 11:41:57 PM EDT
I have a couple guns I want to get letters from colt for. I know they have 2 different letters but has anybody ever had it done and which one would be better to have? The guns are both early sp1's just FYI. I remeber seeing something in here a while ago but can't find it and can't remeber. Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not gotten a gun lettered by Colt, but I know they offer two kinds. The first of which is just plain paper with a Colt letterhead stating when your Colt was made. The second is more expensive and is a real fancy document with more details like who it was sold to and the location of the seller. Unless you have an early sp1 or something rare, I would just get the first type. I think the second is more for guys with Colt SAA's that help tell the story of the gun and are worth a few thousand dollars. For that kind of thing, the ~$100 is nothing. Knowing the provenance of your revolver can really help the value.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:57:12 AM EDT
[#2]
NVM

Since this is the AR retro forum, a documented .38 Super Colt doesn't quite fit.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just looking for info so a colt 38 super would be fine lol I have a 1964 sp1 and 1965 sp1 both excellent condition but I don't think I would really need to know who is was sold to or anything would I? It would be nice to know were the gun came from. So
Is that the only difference between the 2 letters is just who it was sold to? Thanks for the info!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm just looking for info so a colt 38 super would be fine lol I have a 1964 sp1 and 1965 sp1 both excellent condition but I don't think I would really need to know who is was sold to or anything would I? It would be nice to know were the gun came from. So
Is that the only difference between the 2 letters is just who it was sold to? Thanks for the info!!
View Quote

The letter will tell you the manufacture date and Model and sometimes where it was shipped when it left the factory, Like:  Bill's Gun Shop, Houston Texas.  Otherwise just the date.  It's a crapshoot as to whether they have the "shipped to" info.  At least that's how it used to be.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I paid to get a letter on a1943 Colt M1911A1 that I bought a few years ago. The reason was that it was blued and most all Colt M1911A1s at the time were parked. It turned out that my pistol was originally blued when it left Colt and was shipped to the Springfield Armory in Springfield, MA on February 18, 1943. It was sent as follows:

Shipped To: Transportation Officer, Springfield Armory
Address:      Springfield, Massachusetts, For: Commanding Officer

SOmetimes it can be well worth the money to get a letter on an older Colt to get the provenance. I would like to get one on my 1977 Colt SP1.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 68 SP1 I wouldn't mind having a letter for but what's the cost?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe the basic one is $25 and the nice one is $150???
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Make sure you ask for manufacturer's date and shipping date.

Sometimes they are vastly different.

Glad to see you got a 64 like you were looking for.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe the basic one is $25 and the nice one is $150???
View Quote

I paid $110 for mine a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
We recently discussed this a little...examples are in this thread.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top