Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 9:16:52 PM EDT
I watched the Ole "Hamburger Hill" tonight. Had never notice the weapons like I did tonight though. I saw several rifles as an XM16E1, BUT they had a full fence on the lower. Either they stuck three prongers on everything or messed up the lowers on the props. When was the last three prongers used? Every rifle I saw in this movie had the three prong flash hider.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I watched the Ole "Hamburger Hill" tonight. Had never notice the weapons like I did tonight though. I saw several rifles as an XM16E1, BUT they had a full fence on the lower. Either they stuck three prongers on everything or messed up the lowers on the props. When was the last three prongers used? Every rifle I saw in this movie had the three prong flash hider.
View Quote

3 prongs were used into 67, around the same time the xm16e1 transitioned into the m16a1.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
So, the movies to be in 69, Would they have still been fielding these rifles with three prongers, I doubt it. So, in my opinion, they've got it wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, the movies to be in 69, Would they have still been fielding these rifles with three prongers, I doubt it. So, in my opinion, they've got it wrong.
View Quote

i think it's still plausible that they were still fielded.  just b/c a change or newer model came out, it doesn't mean that all the old ones were traded in or replaced.  there was a supply issue so i doubt any usable rifle was taken out of the field just b/c a newer model came along.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Uncle is not going to pull something serviceable, just because something newer comes along, unless the old stuff is deemed unsafe. A bulletin will be issued to say replace part x with part y because of reason z, or it will say use part x until supply is exhausted then use part y.

Unless the contract with Colt specifically stated to use the birdcage FH after a certain date, then Colt could have used the three prongs in inventory until supply was exhausted.

Also late XM16E1s had full fence lowers with three prong hiders. Rifles, in military service, with three prongs were likely mixed with birdcage flash hiders well into the '70s.

One big F up is the use of subdued SSI in place of full color for the 101st.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Both of the rifles I had in 70 in Nam were 3 prongers.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys and thanks to veterans for your service.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Uncle is not going to pull something serviceable, just because something newer comes along, unless the old stuff is deemed unsafe. A bulletin will be issued to say replace part x with part y because of reason z, or it will say use part x until supply is exhausted then use part y.

Unless the contract with Colt specifically stated to use the birdcage FH after a certain date, then Colt could have used the three prongs in inventory until supply was exhausted.

Also late XM16E1s had full fence lowers with three prong hiders. Rifles, in military service, with three prongs were likely mixed with birdcage flash hiders well into the '70s.

View Quote

Gotcha thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

101st?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, the USMC was known to have taken brand new M16A1s and replace the birdcages with 3-prongs, right up till the end of the war, maybe later. There were also full fence XM16E1s - 'transitional' rifles out there. For the purpose of the movie though. they likely took MGC blank firing replicas and put 3-prongs on them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hamburger_Hill

use this site quite often... good reads about all the classics
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have always liked this movie.  Compelling story and characters.

The scene with Han and his RPG is the one I remember the most.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ain't that the truth.

I was giving a brand new  in the box M16A1 Hydramatic with
inspector seals from 1967 to deploy to Desert Storm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I was in the Marine Corps and we had a few 3 prong fh rifles in inventory till word came from on high to remove all 3 prongs and replace with birdcages. Circa 1980 IIRC.

The exact date escapes me but it was post 1979 when I joined.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, got any pics of that baby!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.

Got any pics of the hydramatic?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bet it ran like a champ, too!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#17]
He surely photographed it, show it to us, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YES IT DID
On Break Free CLP.

Detailed pic of the rifle I dont have..

But Ill post what I have.

Mean time here is a repoduction 80% the Braceman did for me inlcuding
correct engravings with my issues ser#.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/549978_80__A1_lower.html&page=5

as good as it gets...Pic was taken with a cheap 35mm camera.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I understand the change resulted because the 3 prong with open slots flash hider-though effective, but often getting caught in the hanging vines as the troops moved through dense jungle.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#20]
In 1979, our main weapons were GAU5A/AS and GAU-5P'S in our AF SP arms room, but we also had M16s with 3 prongs still (a few were 601/602 lowers without a captured pivot pin).  We even had one 601, and some with forward assists!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I understand the change resulted because the 3 prong with open slots flash hider-though effective, but often getting caught in the hanging vines as the troops moved through dense jungle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bent breaking metal bands on Ration and Ammo cases
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I seen a ebay listing that had non-working movie props that were advertised as from the hamburger hill movie. Check it out.
Ebay Hamburger Hill movir prop.
2nd for sale

Just noticed the op way KYGUN, Keep up the goos work buddy. Go KENTUCKY!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Gotcha thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha thanks

I was in the 3rd brigade aviation unit that worked Hamburger Hill. We had subdued Eagle patches.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I seen a ebay listing that had non-working movie props that were advertised as from the hamburger hill movie. Check it out.
Ebay Hamburger Hill movir prop.
2nd for sale

Just noticed the op way KYGUN, Keep up the goos work buddy. Go KENTUCKY!!
View Quote

The 'certificate' says it was 'Used in the production of Movies and TV' or something like that, so not nesc. Hamburger Hill. IIRC, they were MGC replicas, which had a weird plunger detail at the location of the forward assist. That does not. The HGs may have been changed, but IMO that is a lot of money for something with so little authenticity. Just my .02
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top