User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey,

How do I get in contact with John.  I would really like to have my 80% lower engraved with the Colt M16A1 markings.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Send you a PM with his imfo
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Pics in coming...
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Another example of Braceman's excellent work.  Too bad I had to remove AUTO selector position & faux sear holes before I could rent the CNC equipment to mill out lower  BTW, it's a modern Bushy LPK that was soaked in Diet Coke overnight instead of the usual naval jelly treatment.  Dimpled pivot pin is original Colt and I'm still looking for a dimpled take-down pin so it will look just like the picture of the C7 on Retroblackrifle.com.

" />
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another example of Braceman's excellent work.  Too bad I had to remove AUTO selector position & faux sear holes before I could rent the CNC equipment to mill out lower  BTW, it's a modern Bushy LPK that was soaked in Diet Coke overnight instead of the usual naval jelly treatment.  Dimpled pivot pin is original Colt and I'm still looking for a dimpled take-down pin so it will look just like the picture of the C7 on Retroblackrifle.com.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj634/pro2ndam/P1010088_zps933796cc.jpg

Looks mighty fine.  Why did you have to mill them out ???

Anyone know if Braceman engraves steel ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did you have to mill them out ???

I'm also curious about this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 Too bad I had to remove AUTO selector position & faux sear holes before I could rent the CNC equipment to mill out lower [img]

you should of went somewhere else.

Are you Nocal or Socal.

Care to tell which shop?
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Too bad I had to remove AUTO selector position & faux sear holes before I could rent the CNC equipment to mill out lower [url=http://
http://]

you should of went somewhere else.

Are you Nocal or Socal.

Care to tell which shop?

I promised the shop owner (in So Cal) I would never mention his shop or his name in public.  But I agree with you I should have gone somewhere else.  He told me he was advised by his attorney that any lower that has the appearance of a Class III lower is a Class III item and he was not going to "stick his neck out and help me build a machine gun".  The funny thing is, the CAD program for FCG was set for a high-shelf with a narrower channel where the auto-sear would be.  There's no way in hell you could install the auto sear by drilling through the faux sear pin engraving or use a DIAS for that matter.  I just got tired of arguing with the guy who convinced it was not worth the risk to do business with me.  I waited all afternoon at the shop and just wanted wrap up the project once and for all.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
You know, having those areas milled out almost makes it look like a "real" de-milled lower and not a clone. Not sure if I would be that upset about it. Start working on your story....
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 6:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They told me the problem is when you mill off the magazine hump, the metal left is as thin as tin foil

That depends on the base forging. I used one of Kevin's 80% forgings in my fantasy prototype carbine and removed the hump; the resulting wall thickness in that area was .050". More than adequate.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know, having those areas milled out almost makes it look like a "real" de-milled lower and not a clone. Not sure if I would be that upset about it. Start working on your story....

Now that you mention it ... lower does have that Balimoy feel to it
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Braceman,  are you still engraving these days? If so I'm going to fax you  some images to see what you think.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Works in progress.  Top one is going to be a ~1964 XM16E1 replica, bottom one is going to be a ~1965 604 replica.  Top one shows the rear area as I got it from braceman, bottom one has the bolt catch boss partially rounded and not all of my smoothing work done on the rear area.  I would like to give a big thanks to members braceman, WA-Tom, and Veltro for your help in these projects.

ETA: other side
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Guys did I miss the boat on this or is it still possible to get one of these? What's the procedure to get a partial fence with XM177E1 ("Commando") Markings?
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guys did I miss the boat on this or is it still possible to get one of these? What's the procedure to get a partial fence with XM177E1 ("Commando") Markings?

I just got my second one back from John, just send him a e-mail with your wants & surely he will hook you up.

I'm very happy with both the ones he has done for me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2013 5:06:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Braceman---are you still engraving 80% lowers--
Thanks, need info oar current pictures.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a post on facebook that Tactical Machining has 80% lowers back in stock. Thought I would pass it on to my fellow retro heads.

Tactical Machining 80% lower

They've gone up about $4 since they last had them but at least we can still get them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I had two on back order that finally came.  They'll be off to Braceman as soon as funds permit
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one and I'm torn on what I should do with it. Kinda thinking about doing a GM Hydramatic engraving then turning it into an arsenal refresh with an A2 upper. Something different and cool.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
This is the debate I have been having with myself since I started my 603 project. I have no intention of ever selling the gun and would like it to be as close to the real thing as is legally possible. The thought of a custom serial number that marks the family heirloom is intriguing. I have been looking at the NoDak A1 receivers, but in the end, they still have their markings. Of course the gun is transferable, but that's not what I looking for. The flip side of all this is that I would like to shoot this gun and I don't want any issues with the law. Make too good a clone and chance someone thinking you have done something wrong...  I've even thought about the altered selector/safety switch that lets  the switch go to the full markings, but only for show. Again, I'm starting to think I may be begging for trouble... I currently have an CMMG A2 lower on there and it works great, but it is not correct.

Braceman, PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Taggage for when I get the $$ for a project I've been toying with.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagging this one too....have to do the M16A1 clone to replicate what I went through basic with, thirty some years ago.

Looks like great work!
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 3:41:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I could not be happier with the way it turned out.

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top