Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 6:25:23 PM EDT
My tube isn't black anymore. Thanks John!

My mixmaster GAU-5.

Older family photo:

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Me Too - Just got this back from JT!  Just had a 14.5 inch C/MP barrel pinned permanently.  It looks great!

Feel free to weigh in on the "sacrificial FH" used to extend the standard FH enough versus extended flash hiders.  I bought this barrel ready to be pinned from an awesome forum member (you know who you are!) and it was ready to go!  Sent off to John and here it is!  I am stoked to build this 723 - waiting on an NDS lower.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Me Too - Just got this back from JT!  Just had a 14.5 inch C/MP barrel pinned permanently.  It looks great!

Feel free to weigh in on the "sacrificial FH" used to extend the standard FH enough versus extended flash hiders.  I bought this barrel ready to be pinned from an awesome forum member (you know who you are!) and it was ready to go!  Sent off to John and here it is!  I am stoked to build this 723 - waiting on an NDS lower.

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j411/Mike_Connelly/FH1.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j411/Mike_Connelly/FH2.jpg
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j411/Mike_Connelly/FH3.jpg

i seem to recall discussion about using a spacer to extend the overall length possibly leading to some problems with carbon buildup.  i think the thought was that the amount of threads on an ar15 barrel is meant to seat a flash hider completely, but using a check nut to extend it, the flash hider has a gap for carbon to build up possibly affecting accuracy.

anyone hear about this?  any truth to it or just internet bs?

sorry for the thread detour.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It could happen but not any time soon.  Think most have seen it even without the gap on these self cleaning weapons that didn't get cleaned like they should be.   Barrel is probably gonna be giving up something by the time it fouls real good and most can't afford the ammo at .35 a round to wear it out or foul it up real good.  Keep it clean.  OP,  it turned out real nice.  One lower away from another RBRD build.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:24:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Booze, tube looks great! Is it a 2 position?
I too got a package from JT recently, he did a great job on the M60 bipod adapter bushings.

mike62, I did the exact same thing on my Colt M4 barrel, used a donor A2 FH. Looks exactly like yours. Haven't had any issues with excessive fouling in the crown to FH chamber, but then again I've only put a couple hundred through it since the pin/weld.

I bet you could use a chamber brush to clean that area, maybe have to modify it a little to fit, but I think something like that would work to give it a scrub now and again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
MrM1A1, it is a 2 position, but its a commercial 2 position. I got it off the EE by itself, and have a bushy metal stock on it. I should get a Nodak lower for it, but I like my Colt parts. I may send the upper and lower off to get refinished though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
MrM1A1, it is a 2 position, but its a commercial 2 position. I got it off the EE by itself, and have a bushy metal stock on it. I should get a Nodak lower for it, but I like my Colt parts. I may send the upper and lower off to get refinished though.

Nice! I think the Colt lower looks pretty damn good on there, I wouldn't change a thing, but that's just me. Very nice looking little carbine.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top