Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2011 9:06:38 PM EDT
Bought this off the EE - described as "like new".  As you can see in the pic the carry handle is cracked.  How much is it worth in this condition?  Can it be fixed and re-anodized?  Thoughts or suggestions?  First time trying to build a retro and this was my concern about buying used parts.
Thanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/72981001@N02/6586276395/[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not to doubt you, but I cannot see really clearly in the pic, but are you sure that is just not the flashing under the carry handle?
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#2]
No problem - I checked a few times to be sure!  Light shines through it when I put it up to a lamp so yeah... its cracked  :(
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bought this off the EE - described as "like new".  As you can see in the pic the carry handle is cracked.  How much is it worth in this condition?  Can it be fixed and re-anodized?  Thoughts or suggestions?  First time trying to build a retro and this was my concern about buying used parts.
Thanks
(Fixed your link for ya)

So that's a long crack running through the center line of the handle?  Not just flash?
Man, that would tick me off––it's most definitely not "like new".
Anything can be fixed and reanodized, but that's a significant expense.  I'd start by contacting the seller and discussing his return and refund policy.

Don't lose faith in the used parts market.  You do need to know what you're looking for, and you need to get good photos and detailed descriptions, but there are a lot of good parts (and good sellers) out there.  I've bought a LOT of stuff off the EE and off sites like GB or Sturm.  I shop carefully and ask very specific questions, and I've been screwed over exactly one time–– over a $100 part.  Considering that I've spent many...many, many thousands of dollars on parts and firearms, that's a pretty good record.

Contact the seller––he may not have even realized the item was damaged.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OlGunner for the response - I have IM'd the seller to see what he has to say, follow up question, what is this worth as is?
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
(Fixed your link for ya)

So that's a long crack running through the center line of the handle?  Not just flash?
Man, that would tick me off––it's most definitely not "like new".
Anything can be fixed and reanodized, but that's a significant expense.  I'd start by contacting the seller and discussing his return and refund policy.

Don't lose faith in the used parts market.  You do need to know what you're looking for, and you need to get good photos and detailed descriptions, but there are a lot of good parts (and good sellers) out there.  I've bought a LOT of stuff off the EE and off sites like GB or Sturm.  I shop carefully and ask very specific questions, and I've been screwed over exactly one time–– over a $100 part.  Considering that I've spent many...many, many thousands of dollars on parts and firearms, that's a pretty good record.

Contact the seller––he may not have even realized the item was damaged.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks OlGunner for the response - I have IM'd the seller to see what he has to say, follow up question, what is this worth as is?

I should think that the damage makes it worth substantially less than it would otherwise be worth.  I would personally not pay a whole lot for it, but other retro rifle builders who want to be a "battlefield pickup" build that's intended to look used and abused may consider it worth something.

FWIW, you can buy brand new A1 uppers (and lowers), with or without forward assists, for $150 (or less!) shipped, from NoDak Spud.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
mike62,

If the seller won't work with you on this, please send me an email at [email protected]; I'd like to help you out with this.

I added your photo below:

John Thomas

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If he does not make this right please be sure to publish his screen name here and post a -1 bad feedback for him. The Mods here can help you out getting this resolved....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If he does not make this right please be sure to publish his screen name here and post a -1 bad feedback for him. The Mods here can help you out getting this resolved....<><....:)

I agree.People will try to bluff you until they get a -1 feedback thread posted on them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't lose faith.  Contact the seller.  Hard to crack one like that.  I'm guessing over tightening of a scope mount.  I've bought some screwed up parts off the EE but seller always made it right.  Some will try and give you BS.  Always look for good feedback from seller and if he has plenty of it there is a reason.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
So good news - the seller agreed to take it back!  Now I just need to find another A1 upper.  Maybe I will expand my search to include the FA type as well.
Thanks everyone for your support.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Patience Grasshopper!.  Glad it worked out.  "One gets more flies with honey than vinegar."  Grapevine says there should be some coming around pretty soon but then again many times the grapevine is wrong.  They aren't really that hard to come by.  To me it's all in how much I want to spend on one.  My thrifty cheap a$$ sometimes can't find one for what I'm willing to spend but I need another one like a new hole in my head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Bad news everyone - seller had me ship it back but returned it to me with the following response:

1.receiver was in mintish shape when it was mailed, and by your below comments it passed inspection (I emailed him upon receipt indicating I had installed the ejection port door and barrel/threads and it worked great - although I noticed the crack later since it is easy to miss unless looking for it).
2. upon observing the reciever it appears you installed a scope mount and overtightened it by the gouges o the underside located approximately one inch on either side of the mounting hole.  It was tightened so tight the mount removed the anodizing where it contacted the upper. leaving the bright aluminum visible.  (no argument from me as to cause - as was suggeset by user Cdenmark in my earlier post - but I dont even own a scope mount and since this is my first A1 experience I havent moved on to adding any optics yet!)
3. next time be more careful (yeah - about who I buy from that is!  nuff said)
4. I am returning this upper to you so  you can recoup some of your loss from your friend (I guess he means one of you gents who were interested in a cut down - whoever asked first I will reach out to... think it was Heatnbeat!)

Seller info:
dprice3844444
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/897636_fl_colt__pre_forward_assist_uppers_sp1_large_front_hole.html is the link where he is trying to sell the second one

I will leave negative feedback (havent left feedback before so will have to figure that one out)
Crappy deal but thanks to those who have been encouraging.  Will put this behind me and move on...
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#13]
That wouldn't fly with me. You can start a "-1 Feedback" thread here and get the moderators involved. If they determine that he is in the wrong (which I think he is), they'll either ban him from the EE or ban him from the site all together unless he makes things right.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks - left feedback and started thread in feedback section.  Do the moderators automatically read all of them?
Mike

Quoted:
That wouldn't fly with me. You can start a "-1 Feedback" thread here and get the moderators involved. If they determine that he is in the wrong (which I think he is), they'll either ban him from the EE or ban him from the site all together unless he makes things right.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bad news everyone - seller had me ship it back but returned it to me with the following response:

1.receiver was in mintish shape when it was mailed, and by your below comments it passed inspection (I emailed him upon receipt indicating I had installed the ejection port door and barrel/threads and it worked great - although I noticed the crack later since it is easy to miss unless looking for it).
2. upon observing the reciever it appears you installed a scope mount and overtightened it by the gouges o the underside located approximately one inch on either side of the mounting hole.  It was tightened so tight the mount removed the anodizing where it contacted the upper. leaving the bright aluminum visible.  (no argument from me as to cause - as was suggeset by user Cdenmark in my earlier post - but I dont even own a scope mount and since this is my first A1 experience I havent moved on to adding any optics yet!)
4. I am returning this upper to you so  you can recoup some of your loss from your friend (I guess he means one of you gents who were interested in a cut down - whoever asked first I will reach out to... think it was Heatnbeat!)

Seller info:
dprice3844444
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/897636_fl_colt__pre_forward_assist_uppers_sp1_large_front_hole.html is the link where he is trying to sell the second oneI will leave negative feedback (havent left feedback before so will have to figure that one out)
Crappy deal but thanks to those who have been encouraging.  Will put this behind me and move on...
Thanks,
Mike

Can't tell from the picture but is this stripped receiver a SP1 upper? If so, I hope you understand that they have a larger pivot pin hole and will need an adapter if that's what you got and intend on fixing it up to use. Sounds like you got a raw deal, I hope you get a full refund or at the very least a partial refund and the seller gets what he deserves. Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
link to ad in the EE

cut and paste of the ad :

for sale, 2 colt original car-15 stripped aluminum upper receivers(no barrels,handguards,sights,or ejection cover)these are the pre-forward assist units.make a nice xm177e original shorty vietnam era . or you can make a 9mm drop in conversion upper using parts acquired br brownell's in iowa. $200.00 each.like new.plus shipping
these would work good for making those dept of energy orig colt short barrelled uppers
these are the original i believe 604 uppers from the first production runs of the ar-15 pre m4
large hole front,1 has cm below rear sight,other, ch.

CH Colt / Harvey Aluminum (1st Colt Forgings) (sold 12/17/2011)
CM Colt / Martin Marietta (See above

paying $200 plus shipping for a stripped, late SP1 upper receiver is just
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks - Yes it is an SP1 stripped, and yeah, already bought the adapter (fulton armory has them) so if I end up with a different upper these will probably go to the pay it forward thread!

Quoted:
Quoted:

Seller info:
dprice3844444
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/897636_fl_colt__pre_forward_assist_uppers_sp1_large_front_hole.html is the link where he is trying to sell the second oneI will leave negative feedback (havent left feedback before so will have to figure that one out)
Thanks,
Mike

Can't tell from the picture but is this stripped receiver a SP1 upper? If so, I hope you understand that they have a larger pivot pin hole and will need an adapter if that's what you got and intend on fixing it up to use. Sounds like you got a raw deal, I hope you get a full refund or at the very least a partial refund and the seller gets what he deserves. Good Luck

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Mike,

This is no disrespect to you, but paying that kind of cash for a SP1 upper is insane. I remember seeing this guys WTS thread on the EE for months and laughing to my buddy at the price. The description made this item sound like it was some uber rare receiver, I am really hoping you get at least some of your money back. I have a SP1 receiver that has the original port door and the rear site assembly and wouldn't ask more than half of what you paid for the complete assembly. I read the -1 in the feedback and the first response wasn't what I hoped to see. I don't have a lot of pull here but I will back you the best I can based on what evidence I can dig up.  Good Luck and please don't lose faith in the EE, things like this happen but not very often.

ETA: If you look at the facts, your a paid member with positive feedback and this guys advertisement was his first post and he has 0 positive feedbacks and a possible -1. I'll prolly get trashed on for taking your side on this, looks like it's already happening.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah the more this goes on the more stupid I feel.  I wanted something good and something fast - should have done more research.... but live and learn I guess.  As long as nobody  here tells my wife!    So insult to injury I also paid shipping, then paid to ship it back - all to have him say tough crap.  Anybody got some ocean front property in Arizona?  let me know if you want to sell that upper  (actually going for a FA version on my next build - maybe a carbine!).
thanks again,
Mike

Quoted:
Mike,

This is no disrespect to you, but paying that kind of cash for a SP1 upper is insane. I remember seeing this guys WTS thread on the EE for months and laughing to my buddy at the price. The description made this item sound like it was some uber rare receiver, I am really hoping you get at least some of your money back. I have a SP1 receiver that has the original port door and the rear site assembly and wouldn't ask more than half of what you paid for the complete assembly. I read the -1 in the feedback and the first response wasn't what I hoped to see. I don't have a lot of pull here but I will back you the best I can based on what evidence I can dig up.  Good Luck and please don't lose faith in the EE, things like this happen but not very often.

ETA: If you look at the facts, your a paid member with positive feedback and this guys advertisement was his first post and he has 0 positive feedbacks and a possible -1. I'll prolly get trashed on for taking your side on this, looks like it's already happening.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry this happened to you - but I don't buy from anyone with so little time on site. I've gotten some incredible deals off the EE - sorry to say this, but you really should have spent a little more time researching values before jumping on that. Don't feel too bad - I just feel bad for you that you got something that wasn't essentially what you needed. I would definitely report this if you haven't already. I doubt you'll get any satisfaction, but I'm sure you'll make up for it with the next item. If you have any questions, we're here for you. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
yeah i've seen him list them on other boards and his asking price is way too high.  i called him out when he said they were large hole and posted pics of a milspec upper.  he replied and said those were pics he "found" online.  for that price, i better be getting exact pics of what you're selling.

sorry to hear about your experience with that seller.  with such a low post count and obviously only here to sell his parts, he might not care if he gets banned.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Give the seller a negative just based on lack of integrity,  he deserves it.  Won't help you much but it will help others.  I wasn't implying OP broke it just how it was possibly broken.  Learn from the mistake.  That was the BS I was referring to.  Think I'd send JT an e-mail.  We know he's a class act.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Give the seller a negative just based on lack of integrity,  he deserves it.  Won't help you much but it will help others.  I wasn't implying OP broke it just how it was possibly broken.  Learn from the mistake.  That was the BS I was referring to.  Think I'd send JT an e-mail.  We know he's a class act.

+1

If anybody can fix this he can, JT and HnB are talented mofo's. I wish I could do the work they do.

ETA: I answered your question on the difference between SP1 and 604 uppers in your feedback thread. Good Luck with everything and please ask questions, the experts here will never steer you wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#24]
This sucks.  Sellers like that make us all look bad.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I hope seller gets banned if he did cheat the buyer out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#26]
mike :
Sorry this happened to you.

At least he is locked and won't be able to do it again on this board anyway.

Don't give up over this setback, I look forward to seeing your build when it's finished.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top