Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 1:32:28 PM EDT
I posted most of my pics at Rock Island Arsenal from a while back, but here are the retro specific ones in a larger format.  I decided to repost them since I see others posting the smaller versions occasionally.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This place is at the top of my bucket list! Has been for years. Thank you for sharing the great pictures.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Whole lotta money sitting there...nice pics
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have driven through Rock Island hundreds of times and never knew this place was there.  Can't wait to stop by sometime.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the pics.Someone get him a scooby snack :)
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW. I have GOT to go see that for myself.  Some cool 'Mad Max' weapons there, like 5819,5829, 5823 and 5831. (ETA: Some of which look like a modern version of a Johnson Automatic rifle with a GL attached.) The 'in-line' Garands are awesome too. Thanks for the pics. You don't by any chance have a good picture of their logo or shield do you? I bet if I went there I could buy a patch. I could spend a couple days there easily. VERY cool!!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Love that place.  Thanks for posting the pics, i just got frustrated with a google search trying to find out what an a2 upper looks like with a tear drop forward assist.  Your pictures just made my day!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:12:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no idea.

Here's a few zoomed in copies.  Hopefully this helps.

Quoted:

If you can remember, what kind of receiver was on the suppressed bolt action with the Reising magwell????
It's the one just above the Ruger 10/22's.
ETA: it looks like a remington 788 to me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I really like that woody AR sniper rifle and that woody Stoner 63...

Can I just take home 3 or 4? I'll pay for the rest of my natural, and possibly artificial, life it necessary...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the armored vehicles still on display outside? How about the atomic cannon? I just need to go there. I am back visiting Mom all the time.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, still there.  The neatest is the Sherman that took several Panzer hits.  It is to my left in this pic.  I don't have good shot of it though.  You can see where they painted the impacts in yellow.

Quoted:

Are the armored vehicles still on display outside? How about the atomic cannon? I just need to go there. I am back visiting Mom all the time.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea.

Quoted:
If you can remember, what kind of receiver was on the suppressed bolt action with the Reising magwell????

Sioics modified Remington 788, 9mm Parabellum, takes P-38 magazines
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I am actually going to be in the Quad Cities tomorrow. I had no idea that there was a museum on the island.......I have to make time to see it.

Thanks for the pics!!

Edit: They are not open on Mondays per the website - http://riamwr.com/museum.htm. Although.....I might just have to drive over and see the outdoor exhibits.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yup, still there.  The neatest is the Sherman that took several Panzer hits.  It is to my left in this pic.  I don't have good shot of it though.  You can see where they painted the impacts in yellow.

Quoted:

That was my childhood playground.  There were Tanks, APCs, Howitzers, etc.  Mom and step-dad worked in the O-club, in the early 80's, so I was all over the place.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
WOW. I have GOT to go see that for myself.  Some cool 'Mad Max' weapons there, like 5819,5829, 5823 and 5831. (ETA: Some of which look like a modern version of a Johnson Automatic rifle with a GL attached.) The 'in-line' Garands are awesome too. Thanks for the pics. You don't by any chance have a good picture of their logo or shield do you? I bet if I went there I could buy a patch. I could spend a couple days there easily. VERY cool!!!

The wall top to bottom includes:

Springfield Armory SPIW Concept 2 (incomplete)
5821- Springfield Armory SPIW (1st generation) w/ grenade launcher
5825 - Springfield Armory SPIW (1st generation) w/ grenade launcher
5820 - Winchester SPIW w/ semi-auto grenade launcher (1st generation)
5819 - AAI SPIW (2nd generation)
AAI SPIW (1st generation) w/ grenade launcher
5829 - Springfield Armory SPIW (2nd generation)
5823 - H&R SPIW w/ grenade launcher
5831 - Springfield Armory SPIW (2nd generation) w/ Winchester semi-auto grenade launcher (2nd generation)
TRW LMR (This example was chambered for the 5.6mm XM216 flechette cartridge, not the the 5.56mm M193.)

For the OP:  Are there additional photos of 5810-5813?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#18]
What an awesome place to go and drool.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no idea.

Quoted:

Sioics modified Remington 788, 9mm Parabellum, takes P-38 magazines

Thank you Sir.

I've always been interested in DeLisle Carbines, so that peaked my interest.

You're not talking about one of these Death Delivering DeLisles are you Mike?
Why it's as quite as a church mouse.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
The remington 788 MAC reworked rifle is actually an early Sionics model that has a very faint "Sionic" etched or sandblasted on the tube.  Back in the 1980's when I worked on the XM4 carbine testing before the USMC lost funding, I played with the rifle and found that the barrel is heavily ported with a removeable wipe end cap, only the wipes are made from cut screen washers stacked inside.  This version was then taken to the surplus Spanish Destroyer carbines, since they were inexpensive at the time and the rifle was supposed to be "deniable" if lost in combat.  It was ultimately made for MAC SOG troopers on the M1 carbine (non gas operated) manual repeater.

There are good close up pics of this rifle and a twin in Senich's book, "Long Raneg War."  It should also have good coverage in Don Thomas's upcoming book on Gordon INgram.

The Ruger 10/22 repeaters also have different suppressors.  Each have shortened and ported barrels, but one has a longer and large diameter tube from the front of a Mac 10 suppressor (not cut down)   and the other has the longer tube from the Mac 11 suppressor.

They both have the Werbell patented helix baffles and muzzle support for the ported barrel, and the end cap is again wipeless, but has stacked bronze or aluminum screens with a central aperature.

One of the Rugers also has a fitted bolt lock, that prevents the bolt from cycling and ejecting a round.

At my old command, we had a Vietnam era wooden stocked MAC 10/22 that was in original form.  I have some pictures of it taken apart if I can find them.  It did have a lot of powder fouling, but it was very quiet and accuracy with the old Realist scope was nice at out to 75 yards with Hi SPeed Remington ammo.  We made the action noise even quieter by adding a sythetic bolt buffer.

Great pics.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top