Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2011 10:31:45 AM EDT
Anyone know what's the best and easiest way to repair cracked A-1 handguards?

I have a set that Gunny talked me into to buying (I called about order the right one for $5). He said that if I ordered the set for $22 that I'd have a matched set. They were matched all right (they were both cracked. Looks like the rifle that they were on was dropped).

Sarge
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Easiest way to fix them would be to send them right back to Gunny. Hell, I would. That being said, VAAR used a product called Plastifix to repair a chipped tooth on a set of triangle handguards a while back. You could try it and see how well it works on cracks, but if I recall correctly, he said that it was pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
JB weld would cheap fix..        Not the best though.

Best and Easy often are worlds apart when it comes to repairs.

Make sure the exposed layer has been dyed with something, like lampblack, or you will have to repaint.

The local auto zone has a plastics repair kit that is a black resin based epoxy.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
VAAR did an effective chip repair a while back, you might contact him to find out how he did it.

Other than that, Handguards (unless a rarer early type) are generally pretty inexpensive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered one of his 3 prong flashhiders with the set of handguards around 4 months ago and when I saw that the handguards were cracked I just put them back in the box and didn't want to fool with him over them.

Thanks for all the replies guy's. I may end up trading them.

Sarge
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I ordered one of his 3 prong flashhiders with the set of handguards around 4 months ago and when I saw that the handguards were cracked I just put them back in the box and didn't want to fool with him over them.

Thanks for all the replies guy's. I may end up trading them.

Sarge

Drifting a bit, what did you think of the 3 prong? I'm shopping for one to use on a 605 clone!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Drifting a bit, what did you think of the 3 prong? I'm shopping for one to use on a 605 clone!

Actually I liked the 3 prong and would buy another from him if I need anymore. I just bought a couple from Numrich that have a blue finish on them but Gunny's had a parked finish which was what I was really looking for.

Sarge
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top