http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188934909

Looks like a b marked stock?

What was the mount used on?

Thanks

Sorry mo link as I am looking from phone
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's an extended carry handle mt.  

I can't tell a thing about the stock, maybe a Bushy.

Good Price
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A commercial carbine stock; hard to tell if it is aluminum or one of the plastic ones without reinforcing ribs.  Odd looking buffer... not sure if it's a 9mm one or just an odd aftermarket carbine buffer.  And an interesting, long, carry handle scope mount.

ETA heated link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=188934909
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't there a particular brand name for those carry handle scope mounts? Someone brought them up in a thread sometime early this year or last year, I believe. I think the name had something to do with the word "leather", or am I just going off the deep end from being up since 3:40 A.M.?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Isn't there a particular brand name for those carry handle scope mounts? Someone brought them up in a thread sometime early this year or last year, I believe. I think the name had something to do with the word "leather", or am I just going off the deep end from being up since 3:40 A.M.?

Ding!

Leatherwood Scope Mount for Carry Handle

Give the man a prize... or half of one, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Might be a Leatherwood extended mount,and as for the buffer,looks to be synthetic,possibly Nesard (aka Sendra).This is ONLY a may be,might be,,,and just my 2 pennies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Those mounts were high speed low drag back in the 80's just before flat top uppers.  I still had one until last year:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Stock is plastic.See what looks like 2 holes were filled on the tube portion of the body? I've had a few of these pass thru here,all are plastic,and as said above,,I was told Nesard when I researched them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding!

Leatherwood Scope Mount for Carry Handle

Give the man a prize... or half of one, anyway.

So I'm not going crazy after all!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
VAAR...Nice looking scopem what is the brand on that one?

So this goes with the leatherwood art scope?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I think someone might like an original Leatherwood ART II.
I have been this close > < to buying one in the original hardcase at least twice in my life but never pulled the trigger.
Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to post this grainy photo.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
VAAR...Nice looking scopem what is the brand on that one?

So this goes with the leatherwood art scope?

That is a Leatherwood Hi-Lux Camputer ART Sporter 2 with 3-9x 40mm M-600 Auto Ranging Reticle.  I wish I had picked up a GI Leatherwood ART before they started going for $2K+.  I won't pay that much for one since they're really not too good, just worth having for the historic value...

ETA: I'm no expert, but I don't think the military ever used that mount with the Leatherwood scope...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think someone might like an original Leatherwood ART II.
I have been this close > < to buying one in the original hardcase at least twice in my life but never pulled the trigger.
Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to post this grainy photo.  

http://www.military.cz/usa/weapons/guns/pusky/m14_m21_m24/m21sight.jpg

The Leatherwood ART II did not show up til about 74.The nam vintage sniper scope is the Redfield AR TEL.The precursor to the Leatherwood scopes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I know the Redfields were in use earlier, but whenever I hear *Leatherwood* the ART telescope is what I think of.
I was interested in one because of their association with M14 types and use by the USAMU (United States Army Marksmanship Unit).
Additionally, I thought they were cool.  

Apologies for digressing into M14 land...

Here's a Redfield for reference:

And the ART II:
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know the Redfields were in use earlier, but whenever I hear *Leatherwood* the ART telescope is what I think of.
I was interested in one because of their association with M14 types and use by the USAMU (United States Army Marksmanship Unit).
Additionally, I thought they were cool.  

Apologies for digressing into M14 land...

Here's a Redfield for reference:
http://picturearchive.auctionarms.com/4007130740/8757352/d23c746522f8c2e89d2f6272284ec19b.jpg

And the ART II:
http://ee.ar15.com/uploadImages/20100207/113669/Uploaded_634011560577028750_File.jpg

Very nice Redfield. To add,I had a discussion with willp regarding the Leatherwoods.I had bought one back in the late 80s thinking they were used in Nam,but were not.There is also a Leatherwood ART 1 scope,but not actually accepted by the military.If I understood willp correctly.Jim Leatherwood was very involved in the sniper program,his Leatherwood scopes were improved and updated versions of the Redfield.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:09:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Jim Leatherwood developed the ART-EL scope.  Auto ranging telescope.  However they were manufactured by Redfield.  Leatherwood designed the ranging cam attached to the power setting.  There is a fulcrum machined into the power selector and as you increase magnification power the fulcrum slides on a little bolt attached to the mount and elevates the rear of the scope, automatically adjusting your range.  The stadia in the reticule helped you adjust dope accordingly.  Very similar to the USMC M40 Redfield.  However the two rifles had two very distinctly different reticules.  It saddens me to think about these because I had one at one time but had to let it go to pay bills.  Such is life.  It's only stuff right?  Right?......Right?  If you want the straight dope on these weapons look up books by Peter Senich.  They are my sniping bibles.  I also have the hardback Army sniping training book that was used in '69.    Before reality of life hit me that was all I spent my money on.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a quick shot of the one I had.  "Vietnam circa '69"  Reenactment.  Oh..and that is me

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#17]
The original ART scopes were Redfield and Realist scopes. Later you had the ART II and the ART MPC.  If I can find the photos I will post them , I had to sell my ART scope collection to help pay my wife's medical bills.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The original ART scopes were Redfield and Realist scopes. Later you had the ART II and the ART MPC.  If I can find the photos I will post them , I had to sell my ART scope collection to help pay my wife's medical bills.

Many many moons ago before I knew anything about the Leatherwood scopes,a guy tried to sell me a Leatherwood MPC (military,police,civilian) scope for over $800.Damn glad I was researching them at the time and spoke to Jim Leatherwood only to find I could buy a brand new one from Leatherwood for $300 +-... Passed on that and got the ART II.Have not since then seen any evidence that the US military actually used the MPC model.Real glad I passed on that one.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 for the work of Peter Senich as reference material on these topics.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
+1 for the work of Peter Senich as reference material on these topics.

Agreed.  The Death from Afar series is excellent as well.  The Chandler brothers produced those.  Excellent for USMC sniping research.  But the Senich books just can't be touched.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top