Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:08:50 PM EDT
So, I couldn't get motivated to work on my place today and finish my sink, so I played hooky and put the 604 together to see how it looked. I had some extra furniture and wanted to build a desert camo A1 that would blend in well with the red rocks here. These pics are just a teaser - I'll have to wait until tommorrow or the next day to take better pics outside because of the light, and I still need to put the tan Israeli sling on it and the A2 flashhider (it'll be fired prone a lot) and I'd like to clear coat the furniture. I wanted an effective color scheme, and I was inspired by the WWI and WWII battleship 'Dazzle' camo. I hereby call this 'Desert Dazzle Camo' Like I said, I'll take better pics as soon as I get a chance. The one thing I wish I'd done differently is to leave the green off and left it two tone. It should be very effective here in Northern AZ. Oh -  the 604 upper has a darker anodizing on it - similiar to most 601s I've seen. Not sure why this is, but I'm okay with it. It's a shooter. (At least I hope it will be.) My camera died before I could get a close-up of the buttstock, but it's a trapdoor A1, incorrect for a 604, but not for a SHTF TEOTWAWKI gun.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool, Morg308!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, nice, I like it!

P-dog hunting rifle?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
AAAHHHH Morg,,you started that sink how many weeks ago????? Oh and yea the rifle is cool looking...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
AAAHHHH Morg,,you started that sink how many weeks ago????? Oh and yea the rifle is cool looking...

Well, I haven't had a woman to nag me...you aren't female are you? If I put it off long enough my neighbor will be back, and he does tile, and I can maybe get him to grout it. If it doesn't have wires attached to it...

I have gotten some other stuff done however... where are your priorities? Hmmm, work on sink or drink beer and put rifle together. Lemme see...

ETA: I tried tying a loop for a field expedient sling the way you and DocMike do it - I just cannot handle it, and I used to climb! Those tiny, slippery nylon cords.... I've decided to just use my reddish seatbelt sling, with it looped around the stock like this, (pic to follow) but I want a loop for the front. ARRGGGHH! Anyway I could bribe you to make me a loop?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking forward to seeing it in the desert!
Must say, the 3-color looks better on the rifle than when the furniture was on the bench.  The blackness of the metal parts mutes the dark green a bit so it doesn't seem tp stand out as much.
On the bench, I'd have agreed with the preference for the first 2 colors, but assembled, I think this works.
Final test, of course, will be seeing how it blends against the rocks and scrub.

More importantly, though, I applaud your innovation!  There are only so many ways to be innovative and still be retro, but I'd say you've managed that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it....I've got a chocolate chip camo A2 set around here somewhere... I like yours better though
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I definitely need a grey mag button though. It's the one thing I didn't have. I ran some parts through the toilet cleaner drill, then found my grey parts - have to replace that button, it bugs me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle Morg.  I thought you were nuts at first, but it's growing on me.  Need a range report...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice rifle Morg.  I thought you were nuts at first, but it's growing on me.  Need a range report...

I agree on both points. It's ominously compelling.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Say, Morg, what make/model scope is that you've got mounted there?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Say, Morg, what make/model scope is that you've got mounted there?

It's a cheap Tasco I got off ebay. 2-6x with a 32mm adjustable objective. Two color lit reticle, but the reticle is normally black, which I prefer truthfully, and has a sort of range-finding grid underneath the reticle, which is sort of mil-dot - it's like a submarine periscope. It's mounted on a Smith Enterprises CH mount, which I had to trim a little in front. I wish I could afford better optics, but truthfully I was looking for something that would be similiar to my Colt 3X. I can't say anything one way or another about the scope, but it seems surprisingly well-made for around $50 shipped. I doubt the people at Swavaroski or Leopold are losing any sleep however.

It's going to be really hard to recommend the scope even if it holds a zero and seems to hold up, because although I plan on shooting this a lot, it'll never really get any rough usage, which is where quality optics really shine. For what it is, it seems okay, and I have the extended sun shade on it as I expect it to see lots of sun. I will certainly let you guys know what I think once I get it dialed in, but without OlGunner spotting for me, I'm sure it's going to take longer. Tasco used to make some decent scopes, including of course, the HBAR Delta scope, which is kind of what I was really wanting. I hear the new Tascos aren't nearly as good, so I'm just hoping for okay. If it lasts 5 years until I can afford something better I'll get my $ out of it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top