Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:17:23 PM EDT
Wanting to do my first retro build. Would you purchase from Ohio Ordanace or Gunnys ? Is everyone getting their lowers from NOdDak or are there other suppliers? This is all new to me guys. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Wanting to do my first retro build. Would you purchase from Ohio Ordanace or Gunnys ? Is everyone getting their lowers from NOdDak or are there other suppliers? This is all new to me guys. Thanks!

I'll let others who've bought from Ohio Ordnance & Gunny's talk about them.  The EE (Equipment Exchange) - see the button marked so above this forum - often has good deals also.  Do a search using the word "retro."

Most people are using NoDak lowers, as they are currently the only ones offering pre-A2 attribute lowers and lowers in non-black finishes.  Plus, they're good guys and make a good product.

This forum is an excellent resource - check the tacked threads.  Also check out www.retroblackrifle.com which is an excellent site that some retro experts here contribute to.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought from both Gunny and Ohio.  Gunny's communications is, in my opinion, lacking.  No confirmation of purchase, nothing telling you it shipped, or even a tracking number.  Reply's to emails are often received at night so it takes a while to get a response to a question and was never told about the back order issue until I found out about it here.  But, I got what i asked for the few times I ordered.

Ohio Ord was better.  Talked with them on the phone a couple of times and they were very nice, answered all questions, and got what I asked for quickly.  The grading they offer on their uppers was a plus too.

Get a NoDak, they are great!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
i suppose both companies uppers are SP-1 's ?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Negative, both companies uppers are USGI surplus M16A1s.  This is a good thing, because you don't have to muck about with the SP1 oversize pivot pin issue and can instead just drop the upper onto any common lower and be good to go.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. What is everyone using for bolt carrier charging handle etc? Many thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Any standard BCG will work just fine.  Some guys go the extra mile and hunt down old colt stuff, but for my money, a bolt carrier is a bolt carrier is a bolt carrier.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top