Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2007 6:06:19 PM EDT
What products are suggested for refinishing both A1 butt stocks and pistol hand grips? Want to match the standard black and would like to learn from the experts what is best to use for both color match and durability.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What products are suggested for refinishing both A1 butt stocks and pistol hand grips? Want to match the standard black and would like to learn from the experts what is best to use for both color match and durability.

Depends on what kind of finish you are going for and what condition the stock you have now is in.

If the stock is simply dirty looking you can try cleaning it up with metal polish to give it a glossy finish.

If you are looking more for a matte finish, I'm sure there is some type of paint product out there. Someone else will have to chime in about that.

A third option is to search the EE for one in the condition that you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If the stock is simply dirty looking you can try cleaning it up with metal polish  to give it a glossy finish.

Metal polish? Any specific brand you've done this with?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If the stock is simply dirty looking you can try cleaning it up with metal polish  to give it a glossy finish.

Metal polish? Any specific brand you've done this with?

IIRC Brasso was used by one poster on his old stocks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Wet sand the stock to clean it up.  If the choppergun fiberglass is too obvious, use black shoe polish (honest!) to subdue it.
If you want a 'new' look, try Alumahyde II from Brownells; it is an epoxy paint.  Follow directions, especially about letting it cure (a week is good).  Alumahyde is reputed to be oil and solvent proof; thus far mine is.
Some here have used Krylon Fusion, but I have had problems with it degenerating from oil/solvents.  Perhaps I didn't let it cure long enough; also, I have never been able to find it in FLAT black.
Moon
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the Alumahyde II from Brownells solution.  It will be on order tonight.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top