Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2021 6:23:57 PM EDT
Hey All. I am getting ready to start my first pistol build and could use some help on a few areas. I plan on going 8.5" with a linear comp on the end. I know the debate between 8.5" and 10.5" has gone one forever and not looking to get in argument or reason why I shouldn't go 8.5". Reason I am is this is a home defense CQB gun and I can. Longest room in my house is probably 25 yards and furthest I will shoot at range is 50 yards so dont care bullet will not go 200+ yds.

It will be built on an 80% lower with an Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper. I would like to get similar look as a saint with part of the comp under barrel with little sticking out. With this I was thinking a 10" rail for 8.5" barrel. Problem is I couldnt find a 10" made by Aero Precision. What other brands would work on the M4E1 Enhanced Upper?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey All. I am getting ready to start my first pistol build and could use some help on a few areas. I plan on going 8.5" with a linear comp on the end. I know the debate between 8.5" and 10.5" has gone one forever and not looking to get in argument or reason why I shouldn't go 8.5". Reason I am is this is a home defense CQB gun and I can. Longest room in my house is probably 25 yards and furthest I will shoot at range is 50 yards so dont care bullet will not go 200+ yds.
View Quote

I see a big issue here.
Since you're going unsuppressed, what caliber or chambering?  8.5" 9mm? Good to go. 8.5" .300blk? Probably good to go. 8.5" 5.56/.223? Horrific concussion and fireball.
Seriously, go rent a SBR or pistol at an indoor range and squeeze off a few rounds.

This is coming from someone that's switched from 10.3" 5.56 to 10.3" .300blk because of the concussion and fireball of the 10.3" 5.56 indoors.

It will be built on an 80% lower with an Aero Precision M4E1 Enhanced upper. I would like to get similar look as a saint with part of the comp under barrel with little sticking out. With this I was thinking a 10" rail for 8.5" barrel. Problem is I couldnt find a 10" made by Aero Precision. What other brands would work on the M4E1 Enhanced Upper?
View Quote

I've always been under the impression that those uppers are proprietary/specifically made to interact with their handguard alone.

If I was to take a wild stab in the dark at something that might be compatible based upon looks alone, maybe a Spike's BAR or any other BAR type handguard?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What other brands would work on the M4E1 Enhanced Upper?

View Quote

Direct from Aero's website:
"The M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver is compatible with Aero Precision AR15 Enhanced Handguards and Quantum Handguards."
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Direct from Aero's website:
"The M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver is compatible with Aero Precision AR15 Enhanced Handguards and Quantum Handguards."
View Quote

I was going back thru and saw that. Thanks

Will switch up to threaded then find something else for hand guard. I like the Strike Industries gridlock but at 11” not sure if I can find a LC long enough to protrude.

Initially will be unsuppressed but will have one on on in roughly a year. Also my range is outdoor and thinking LC on end would help. I will eventually build a 10.5” but this one keeping at 8.5”

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you are planning 9mm or 300 blk, you are giving a clear indication you don't have much experience with "pistols" or SBR's..... but that's ok!

8" barrel in 9mm, no problem.  8" barrel in 300 blk, no problem... especially if subsonic & suppressed.  

8" barrel in 5.56????  That will hurt even outside.  Literary hurt.  Even with earpro, the concussion will give you a headache... make your teeth hurt!  Too short for all but the most expensive silencer.

If your idea of an 8" 5.56 for a compact home defence weapon, think again.  The concussion from lighting that thing off inside will take you out.  Not to mention loosing your night vision from the flash.  It can actually cause an over pressure that can cause people to pass out... would suck if the blast knocked you out, but not the crew robbing your house.  Wonder what they would do to wife and kids while you sleep?  Who knows, maybe they will run away.

Pistol shines for in home self defence.  Easy to keep it tight, easy to cut corners for clearing.  Yea, it will be loud if you light it off, but it won't knock you out or blind you from muzzle flash.  Plus its small enough to keep loaded and locked in a quick access  mini-safe... got to keep it easy to get for you, not any kids.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:18:44 AM EDT
[#5]
PWS CQB 556 is the only device that can tame a super short 5.56 - been there, done that with a KVP LC, no.thank.you.

Wanting a certain look is limiting you, a 9" Aero Rail will do what you want.

Highly recommend going .300BLK - TAC-TX Supers or 194gr Lehigh ME's (When you get a can).
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 7.5" 5.56 and have shot it indoors at a range as well as outside. Is it loud? Yeah, but earsplitting loud with ear protection? Nah. Is there unspent powder flash? Yeah. Has it been distracting? Nah. At an indoor range, at most, you'll see a slight flash which lasts a split second. Now, I do have a forward blast diverter on it, so that may make a difference. Most of the time you don't see anything. Now in your house with the lights completely off? It may be a different story. In a house with no ear protection? I'm sure it will be virtually deafening. However, when you get above a certain decibel point, I don't care what you're shooting, it's going to be LOUD. Whether it be a 5.56, .300 BLK, 9mm, .45 or whatever. Guns are loud...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Whether it be a 5.56, .300 BLK, 9mm, .45 or whatever. Guns are loud...
View Quote

Loud, yes.  Shooting a 9 indoors without ear-pro is something your ears will likely recover from.  But 5.56?  You are likely to hear that shot for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably. But my ears already ring 24-7. From well before shooting my 7.5" 5.56...

I know it wouldn't be pleasant and is not ideal, but shooting a .300 BLK or .45 indoors would not be either. Really a matter of degrees. Inside, I keep my 9mm & .45 close to me by my bedside. The AR pistol would not be the first thing I'd reach for. But it's nice to know its there, just in case...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
But my ears already ring 24-7.
View Quote

As do mine.  Nazareth show back in '80, song Beggar's Day.  Ole Dan really belted that shit out and I was only about 10 yards from the stacks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As do mine.  Nazareth show back in '80, song Beggar's Day.  Ole Dan really belted that shit out and I was only about 10 yards from the stacks.
View Quote

WAY too many close up concerts for me over WAY too many years. Started with multiple Ramones shows at CBGBs in the 70’s and progressed to lots of punk rock shows through the ‘90s & 2000s. And I always liked smaller venues and standing as close to the stage as possible. Usually 1st couple of rows. Add to that all the shooting I’ve done and it’s a recipe for disaster. But, oh, I’ve had a good time!!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top